PDA

View Full Version : I got EPA'ed.....FAIL! Need help!!!

RiceMeister
09-07-2010, 03:40 AM
yo guys,

I got back from my holiday this morning and found I'd recieved an EPA notice for exhaust noise.

Got 28 days to clear it all up and need to get my exhaust approved so I can get the certificate and have the whole issue dropped.

I'm still amazed I got done for my exhaust as it's just a bolt on x-force muffler with new piping. The old piping was rusted, so when I got my muffler installed, they re-did the piping, 2.25inch from the cat back.

Headers are stock and cat stock.

I don't understand how it can be that loud, my exhaust is noticeable, but i've never thought it to be "too loud"

Anyhow, I'm going to Daalder exhaust in box hill tomorrow to have it sussed out and see if I need to change anything to pass.

Anyone got any ideas or help on how to modify my exisiting setup to reduce noise? Ideally i'd prefer to keep the x-force on and add some mid mufflers, rather than have to put a stock muffler on...get it passed, then put my x-force on again.

Ahh, times like this really test ya!

Cheers lads.

aznstyler
09-07-2010, 05:05 AM
the best is to put on a stock exhaust....

Giraffe
09-07-2010, 07:14 AM
yeh best bet to put your stock muffler on to pass epa then put a xforce maybe with a silencer to help reduce noise.

Zilli
09-07-2010, 07:18 AM
remember the slip in silencers are illegal... so you will need to change the muffler

anzai
09-07-2010, 07:20 AM
wow i have the EXACT same setup as yours..

add more hotdogs i guess..

jdm_b16a
09-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Ask the Workshop to test your exhaust for noise and if you are indeed under the legal limit they should then just give you the paperwork and problem solved. If however you are over get them to put a flange on your axle back section, fit the standard muffler, and then after you have passed go home and refit your X-Force. If its really way over, better to get some extra silencing rather than run the risk of annoying the local authorities.

Peter

Giraffe
09-07-2010, 07:21 AM
mmmm the its better to get a chambered exhaust set up, example: stock shape mufflers :P

RiceMeister
09-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the helps guys, appreciate it.

Just got back from EPA check and the dude there was cool, he had a listen first and sussed it out before charging me for the real test. He told it wouldn't pass... So now I'm off to pickup a stock muffler from Hondaworld. Bring it back, get it bolted on and pass the EPA.

Obviously ID like to change back to my x force afterwards. Only question is.... If I get EPA'ed again with the x force are the consequences worse? Or can I just bolt the stock back on and pass again...should this bullshit happen again lol

m3ntAL_l2
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
faaark they really coming down hard...

i think if you get done for the same reason again the infringement will increase

RiceMeister
09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I just think it's ****ing ridiculous that you buy a branded
muffler and have it fitted only to be dicked for it. I want a nice exhaust note but by the sounds of it, anything other than stock is going to be too loud and potentially can be epa'ed.

Judging on this shouldn't c63amgs and m3's be EPA'ed too?? I'm fairly sure at 5k rpm they go louder than 90db.

Can't be bothered with this shit. Might just roll on a 10 year old rusted muffler from now on

dougie_504
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
To my knowledge first EPA note you just have to get it fixed up, but if you get done again for the same thing you get fined too. Never heard of Dalder in Box Hill, but if you're in the Melbourne inner east try Performance Exhaust in Ringwood near Eastland - they do good work and are familiar with XForce and JDM stuff.

RiceMeister
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I had my xforce installed at performance exhaust in ringwood. Will most likely go back there. See if they can add a silencer.

To get the EPA certificate you have to go to an authorized EPA exhaust place and the closest one was daalder.

The thing is, when I go for the test this arvo I'll have the stock muffler on so there will be no record of my previous exhaust being an xforce, just a stock system. This could surely mean I could put my xforce back on and if I got dicked just say I passed with my stock one and and that's what I got done for originally...lolol

dougie_504
09-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Worth a shot, I'd do it. Screw the EPA man. They should be spending resources chasing down real road-crims like commodores lol

Lukey
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
i got out of having to get my epa cleared.

if you get done a second time you will get fined aswell

RiceMeister
09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
stock exhaust is on. passed the test no worries. all good.

except now my car sounds like a whining bitch. intake is so overbearing and no longer balanced out with exhaust. sounds shithouse!

It's such a stupid process. I started my EPA day at 9am and posted the certificate at 5pm. Took an entire day of running around and chopping and changing things just to get it right....bunch of shit.

Test and certificate cost $40
Original stock accord v6 muffler from wrecker $75
Install of stock muffler and removal of x force $40

so in the end, I paid $150 to remove my xforce and pass a stupid test to make my car "legal" and sound like dirt.

I had a good talk to the exhaust bloke at Daadler who was very helpful and completely understood where I was coming from, 'spose he hears a lot of angry stories from modifiers.

He said that if I get another EPA in the near future with my x-force (the culprit) then i'll get a fine too, but I'll be safe if i change mufflers and if i got caught with that, as that muffler hasn't been EPA'ed yet.

Either way I'm gonna just sit on it for now and wait a month or so before I change exhausts. Going to nab an Apexi WS2. Nice and quiet.

SiReal
09-07-2010, 10:49 PM
i saw you in the city today, i was next to you. u may or may not have seen the black itr to your left...

u have lots of stickers on your rear windscreen hehe

i say u just put tips on your stock exhaust. it'll look nice and sound stock so you can enjoy your music.

RiceMeister
09-07-2010, 10:56 PM
i saw you in the city today, i was next to you. u may or may not have seen the black itr to your left...

u have lots of stickers on your rear windscreen hehe

i say u just put tips on your stock exhaust. it'll look nice and sound stock so you can enjoy your music.

I knew it was you man! haha did you see me peering across at you and looking in?? I was like hmmm....I know that ITR...is it Jeff??

hehe yeah man, funny thing is, since doing all my mods 8 months ago, I'm just gotten done for exhaust, yet have a rear window covered in stickers, 20% tints, HID's and a loud-ass CAI and have passed through about 10 booze buses without ever a mention of my car.

I'm just gonna wait and see how I feel next month. Car sounds so strange with no exhaust, I don't like it one bit. hate it.

SiReal
09-07-2010, 11:00 PM
funny thing is we both have 20% tints or thereabouts, so we wouldn't have been able to see each other even if we wanted, with our windows up haha

good luck in sorting the exhaust out :thumbsup:

RiceMeister
10-07-2010, 02:51 AM
I've been doing some thinking about future exhaust options and although I do know the X FORCE VAREX is not street legal, it's no different from having any other non street legal exhaust system which pushes out above 90db. My xforce i just swapped out was above 90db and therefore in the ILLEGAL catogery so i deem the Varex no different, although due to the customization of it, it greatly reduces noise risks again.

Once the dust settles, I'm going to get a twin tip VAREX installed with a flange so its bolt on and bolt off, should I need to swap back to the stock muffler. Should I get EPA'ed again I can simply go home and unbolt the varex and swap back to my stock to pass the test.

The beauty I've found in the VAREX is that in high cop areas like the city, where most of the EPA's I've heard about were dobbed in, I can simply change to silence mode and only open up the exhaust when far from busy areas like the city. I figure I've driven for a year with my xforce blaring loudly and this includes 3 nights a week and sometimes 5 days a week city driving. I do realise I've been caught once and once is enough by all means, but for the most part I'll keep the exhaust in quiet mode or halfway between so it still stays below 90db.

If I keep on silent mode for ALL city driving I figure I should be able to lay low and avoid any more EPA issues.

Anyone rocking a Varex system?

surely someone has to be using one on the street....

AE092
10-07-2010, 03:22 AM
I've been doing some thinking about future exhaust options and although I do know the X FORCE VAREX is not street legal, it's no different from having any other non street legal exhaust system which pushes out above 90db. My xforce i just swapped out was above 90db and therefore in the ILLEGAL catogery so i deem the Varex no different, although due to the customization of it, it greatly reduces noise risks again.

Once the dust settles, I'm going to get a twin tip VAREX installed with a flange so its bolt on and bolt off, should I need to swap back to the stock muffler. Should I get EPA'ed again I can simply go home and unbolt the varex and swap back to my stock to pass the test.

The beauty I've found in the VAREX is that in high cop areas like the city, where most of the EPA's I've heard about were dobbed in, I can simply change to silence mode and only open up the exhaust when far from busy areas like the city. I figure I've driven for a year with my xforce blaring loudly and this includes 3 nights a week and sometimes 5 days a week city driving. I do realise I've been caught once and once is enough by all means, but for the most part I'll keep the exhaust in quiet mode or halfway between so it still stays below 90db.

If I keep on silent mode for ALL city driving I figure I should be able to lay low and avoid any more EPA issues.

Anyone rocking a Varex system?

surely someone has to be using one on the street....

Hey man,

I've been down the exact same route as you only less fortunate. Failed the test first time after having changed to a stock-ish muffler. Then went and got a flange made up, test and cleared at the same place you tested, Daalder Exhaust in Box Hill. I will admit the guy there is very cool unlike the Dandenong prick I took it to. I have heard the Varex first hand and can tell you it works a treat. It was fitted on a Toyota Sportivo and fully closed it is no louder than the stock unit (car had full exhaust inc. headers). Fully opened and it burbled with a deep note like it had forced induction. I agree with what you say about the whole legality side of it, just make sure you don't keep it opened all the time.

And lastly, IF you do get an EPA check for Emmissions and not noise test, remove the Varex first before the test - provided you go down that route.

Seen your car at JDMST meets too, I own the red Corolla.

white_ep3_civic
10-07-2010, 09:45 AM
The more you get caught the harsher then penalty is. My mate had a s14 and got caught 4 times in a year. The cop said next time it is a $10,000 fine and we take your car for 6months. It is bullshit that anything fun that we do can be defectable now

RiceMeister
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Hey man,

I've been down the exact same route as you only less fortunate. Failed the test first time after having changed to a stock-ish muffler. Then went and got a flange made up, test and cleared at the same place you tested, Daalder Exhaust in Box Hill. I will admit the guy there is very cool unlike the Dandenong prick I took it to. I have heard the Varex first hand and can tell you it works a treat. It was fitted on a Toyota Sportivo and fully closed it is no louder than the stock unit (car had full exhaust inc. headers). Fully opened and it burbled with a deep note like it had forced induction. I agree with what you say about the whole legality side of it, just make sure you don't keep it opened all the time.

And lastly, IF you do get an EPA check for Emmissions and not noise test, remove the Varex first before the test - provided you go down that route.

Seen your car at JDMST meets too, I own the red Corolla.

Cheers for that man, made me feel bit better about going the Varex system. Will most likely get it happening next month then :)

Chances are, when I"m driving anywhere busy and I know are cop heavy areas I'll just close it up and only open it up on backroads or occasionally in outer suburbs, lay low.

I'll get them to install it with a flange so if I do need to change to stock muffler it's bolt on and bolt off!

WATAJK
10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the helps guys, appreciate it.

Just got back from EPA check and the dude there was cool, he had a listen first and sussed it out before charging me for the real test. He told it wouldn't pass... So now I'm off to pickup a stock muffler from Hondaworld. Bring it back, get it bolted on and pass the EPA.

Obviously ID like to change back to my x force afterwards. Only question is.... If I get EPA'ed again with the x force are the consequences worse? Or can I just bolt the stock back on and pass again...should this bullshit happen again lol

Consequences are the same.
If you change it within a week and you get done within that week you WILL get slapped with a HEAVY fine....
So just wait a week before changing it over and you should be fine.
Keep the stock muffler for reference so that if you get EPA'd again it's an easy fix :)

RiceMeister
10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm waiting til august (so like another month) before swapping to varex. Gonna have it installed with a flange too and a flange added to my stock one so should EPA trouble arise I can jack the car up and swap it over.

Good thing is I know the stock passes all good no worries.

RiceMeister
10-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Cheers for all the help lads. Anyone else using varex??