PDA

View Full Version : DIY How to make your horn work on aftermarket steering wheels in EG

pablos8
09-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

This was done with the horn cable from the steering wheel was plugged in.

This was also done with a Genuine Nardi 350mm deepcorn steering wheel, but the concept should be the same on other wheels

Aim: To make the horn work on aftermarket steering wheels

Required: Phillips head screw driver..

Steps:

Okay first thing you want to do is remove the steering column cover. There are 3 screws under the base, heres a pic of where they are:

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b447/jdm69r/c.jpg

After the screws are removed you can take off the steering column cover, and you will be looking for the little metal tab that looks like this

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b447/jdm69r/cc.jpg

The reason the horn doesn't work is because it needs to be touching metal (its magnetic to my understanding), so its probably moved while you installed the bosskit, so I just pushed it inwards GENTLY, towards the white area behind it and turned the wheel back and forth until it was touching the metal part of the bosskit (the part you lubricate when installing the bosskit), press your horn whilst turning the wheel to know when its touching. Once I did that and made sure it wasn't coming out again, just put the steering rack on and presto, your horn works :)

Turns out something like this :)

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b447/jdm69r/ccc.jpg

Hope this helps :)
Was one happy chappy when my horn finally worked! Now I can beep at noobs :D

some extra info to get technical

the horn works when the switch is grounded and the circuit is closed. Does your boss kit have a slip ring on the back?

The horn button needs to be connected to the wire on the boss kit so when its pressed it closes the circuit (grounds the switch)

yellows2k
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Cool will give it a try this weekend

lsvtec
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
nice steering wheel!!!!!1

pablos8
09-07-2010, 01:11 PM

yeah man give it a go, should help, if you have any issues just pm me :)

nice steering wheel!!!!!1

lol thanks bud

grifty
09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
u know a steering rack looks like this http://moseleyautoparts.co.uk/images/steeringRack.jpg and is mounted under the engine.

I think what you meant was steering column cover :)

pablos8
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
u know a steering rack looks like this http://moseleyautoparts.co.uk/images/steeringRack.jpg and is mounted under the engine.

I think what you meant was steering column cover :)

haha thanks dude i'll fix it up

pablos8
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM

how'd it go man?

yellows2k
10-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, my steering column cover doesn't come apart like urs, so I can't get a good look inside
Plus I can't find my socket set to pull the boss off, I couldn't find the metal tab that u point out either and I looked from various angles

pablos8
10-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Ok, my steering column cover doesn't come apart like urs, so I can't get a good look inside
Plus I can't find my socket set to pull the boss off, I couldn't find the metal tab that u point out either and I looked from various angles

not sure on the steering coloumn cover part but you don't need to take your boss off, u can also just stick ur finger through the hole for the indicator lever and feel for the tab and push it inwards, try that man =/

yellows2k
10-07-2010, 10:14 PM
ur steering column cover looks like it splits apart at the seam when u take the 3 screws out, mine stays together.
so even if i take the screws out, it only moves around a little, and i cant see a metal tab at all. i do have a metal ring that moves around, which urs doesnt have pictured

markismaximus
11-07-2010, 06:54 AM
[B]

The reason the horn doesn't work is because it needs to be touching metal (its magnetic to my understanding)

Its a normal circuit. When the horn switch is pressed (closed) its grounded and turns the horn on.

No magnets or special tricks

yellows2k
11-07-2010, 08:54 PM
hey mark, any ideas on my problem, or do i need to get the bosskit off to view the metal tab, cos my column cover doesnt come off

markismaximus
11-07-2010, 09:23 PM
If you download the fsm it'll have the procedure for taking the trim off. Once the screws are removed the covers snap apart, the clips could be brittle so take care. You shouldn't have to remove the trim to remove the boss kit. Remove the screws that hold the steering wheel and use a 19mm socket to remove the boss kit and check for the tab on the back. I don't drive an eg so not sure if if the trim would prevent you from viewing the tab. May be different with different boss kits

yellows2k
11-07-2010, 09:41 PM
im trying to find my ratchet set, but itook the screws off the cover and it moved only slightly, not enough to get a good look behind and around the boss kit.
ill take the bosskit off and see if i can see the metal tab. ill report back in a few days
also, i was pulling at the column cover but didnt want to press my luck as it seemed like it was going to crack and break

PGB
15-07-2010, 03:22 AM
A cross brace for your wheel nuts will have the size your after for the boss kit for those people who dont have deep sockets handy.

Be definately having a look at this tomorrow. Thanks chief.

yellows2k
15-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Cool I got a x brace

yellows2k
17-07-2010, 08:26 PM
ok, got the cross brace, took my wheel off and what did i find? no metal tab at all. guess im out of luck on making my car go beep beep

RandyRhydah
18-07-2010, 07:12 AM
do you still have the abs / horn settup? sort of a plastic "turn table" thing. all i did is reused that and just depinned the horn cable out of the stock steering wheel and used it for the horn..

markismaximus
18-07-2010, 07:41 AM
do you still have the abs / horn settup?

do you mean SRS (airgbag)? Dont think EGs ever came with ABS...

RandyRhydah
18-07-2010, 08:31 AM
oh yeah my silly bad... to many abriviations in hondas

yellows2k
18-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Still have the turntable thing. Not sure how to go about hooking it up without a guide, I'm a moron

RandyRhydah
19-07-2010, 06:08 AM
do you have the turntable thing installed in the car or in the shed somewhere? i just left that installed and de pinned everything else except the horn wire and used that.. i will get a pic this morning if i have a chance if not this arvo.

yellows2k
19-07-2010, 10:06 PM
the turntable thing is still in the steering wheel column, it needs to be there for the indicators doesnt it?