PDA

View Full Version : Engine Build (Cams, VTC, k-pro, IM)

snYpz
13-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,

I've been coming up with a few plans for my car and just need some advice and help from members. :wave:

I have an 04 AT, yes its not MT, but it suits my needs and requirements.

As stated on the title, im after new intake cams, VTC mechanism (possibly 50VTC instead of machining to 45 degrees), K-pro (which should be back in a few months - fingers crossed!) and not too sure about the benefits of RBC/RRC with tsx TB.

Cams - I've been doing a bit of research but im still not sure which cams would work well for my daily drive needs. At the moment, i have singled out (also widely tested on k24 builds): 06 TSX intake cams, brian crower stage 2 and skunk stage 2.
Anyone would like to recommend or any advice?
how does the 06 cams compare with the above mentioned aftermarkets?

IM - i have heard contradicting results with RBC with k24, particularly with the CL9. I am certain that RBC we do lose low and mid-range torque, which sucks for a daily driven and also automatic. Most civics/rsx that build k24's in their cars use RBC, but i think that might be because firstly their cars are lighter, and secondly they are chasing high end power.
Should i just stick with our RBB?
RRC might be a good balance as im pretty sure it also gives better low down torque with the slightly longer runners compared to RBC....not 100% sure.

Lastly, K-pro really has to come back for any of this to work. Otherwise, not much can be done :(

Thanks in advance!

tony1234
13-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,

I've been coming up with a few plans for my car and just need some advice and help from members. :wave:

I have an 04 AT, yes its not MT, but it suits my needs and requirements.

As stated on the title, im after new intake cams, VTC mechanism (possibly 50VTC instead of machining to 45 degrees), K-pro (which should be back in a few months - fingers crossed!) and not too sure about the benefits of RBC/RRC with tsx TB.

Cams - I've been doing a bit of research but im still not sure which cams would work well for my daily drive needs. At the moment, i have singled out (also widely tested on k24 builds): 06 TSX intake cams, brian crower stage 2 and skunk stage 2.
Anyone would like to recommend or any advice?
how does the 06 cams compare with the above mentioned aftermarkets?

IM - i have heard contradicting results with RBC with k24, particularly with the CL9. I am certain that RBC we do lose low and mid-range torque, which sucks for a daily driven and also automatic. Most civics/rsx that build k24's in their cars use RBC, but i think that might be because firstly their cars are lighter, and secondly they are chasing high end power.
Should i just stick with our RBB?
RRC might be a good balance as im pretty sure it also gives better low down torque with the slightly longer runners compared to RBC....not 100% sure.

Lastly, K-pro really has to come back for any of this to work. Otherwise, not much can be done :(

Thanks in advance!

Talk to Adrian at Toda.He's good with these sorts of mods.He's also good with tuning.He tuned my Haltech and did a great job.

HondaRacer
13-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I vote for ported RRC, it would be beast compared with RBC ! 06 TSX intake cam, bigger TB, Toda exhaust header, high flow cat, comptech intake and Dual K-pro for managment. First of all get Dual K-pro, without it there is no point to do all these mods.

snYpz
13-07-2010, 11:31 PM
I vote for ported RRC, it would be beast compared with RBC ! 06 TSX intake cam, bigger TB, Toda exhaust header, high flow cat, comptech intake and Dual K-pro for managment. First of all get Dual K-pro, without it there is no point to do all these mods.

Yeah as i said, k-pro is most important to reap the potential. I will get toda headers, fujitsubo exhaust, 64mm TB (06 tsx) and 06 intake cames. I wont need cat as toda has testpipe.
I currently have comptech intake, DC headers, magnaflow cat and NST pulleys installed.

Once k-pro or something similar is available, i wll invest in more parts.

HondaRacer
13-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah as i said, k-pro is most important to reap the potential. I will get toda headers, fujitsubo exhaust, 64mm TB (06 tsx) and 06 intake cames. I wont need cat as toda has testpipe.
I currently have comptech intake, DC headers, magnaflow cat and NST pulleys installed.

Once k-pro or something similar is available, i wll invest in more parts.

good desission ;)

JDM-EGG
14-07-2010, 12:06 AM
If not mt dw any mods lol drive it like that

aaronng
14-07-2010, 12:36 AM
RBC/RRC - Good if you have an 7500-8000rpm cut out as you will get to use that little bit of high RPM torque gain.

snYpz
14-07-2010, 01:02 AM
If not mt dw any mods lol drive it like that

who cares if its not MT. Why mod a euro at all when its so heavy and wasnt designed for performance?!
Its all about making use of what we have and customising the car to our needs ;)

integral90
15-07-2010, 12:21 PM
RBC will make more torque than the RBB in the very low RPM (up to about 2,500-2750rpm), about the exact same up to 3,800rpm, THEN it dips in the midrange from roughly 4,000rpm to 5,500rpm. Depending on your setup, the RBC will pass the RBB at some point after 5,500rpm.

The RBB doesn't really benefit from more than 25VTC, and the RBC is limited if it can only use 25VTC. Nobody has run an RBC with 45VTC on a Euro yet, but you can see from other people's K24 builds, the RBC combined with cams and roughly 40VTC advance definitely doesn't lack in the midrange. RRC is a waste: 200% of the RBC's cost for 125% of the benefit. I can think of better places for that money to go to - like a good tune.

Lochstar_69
15-07-2010, 01:13 PM
who cares if its not MT. Why mod a euro at all when its so heavy and wasnt designed for performance?!
Its all about making use of what we have and customising the car to our needs ;)

interesting comment - considering its a bit contradicting..... if his need is to go faster then so be it!!!
its his decision. this forum is to help us with info not discourage us from having fun... im not having a go at you im merely stating that we should be informing him of our personal experiences and what we understand about the cars.

snYpz
16-07-2010, 06:55 PM
interesting comment - considering its a bit contradicting..... if his need is to go faster then so be it!!!
its his decision. this forum is to help us with info not discourage us from having fun... im not having a go at you im merely stating that we should be informing him of our personal experiences and what we understand about the cars.

What are you on about? Either you quoted the wrong person or you misread what i posted....

I created this thread BTW lmao ;)