PDA

View Full Version : EG B16A Insurance!! *found*

nickk
14-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure if this has been touched on before, but i searched and didn't find much.

I've recently purchased an EG with a B16a and I'm shopping around for insurance.
Just Car insurance wants $2,800 :eek: for full comp with an agreed value of $7,500.
I am under 25 so I'm sure that makes a difference.

Could you guys give me an indication of what you pay for insurance, how much and what you're covered for, and which company your with?

markismaximus
14-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Under 25 could mean anything. 17? 20? 24?

I think rating also plays a large part, you could be 30 with a rating 6 and be paying more than a 23 yo with a rating 1. The 25 YO age thing mostly has to do with your premium if you make a claim.

When I sold my R32 GTS-t I was 23 and paying around $900 for comprehensive with justcar on a rating 1. Even when I bought it at 20 YO it was only $1300 to insure.

You are obviously a high risk for whatever reason (driver history, car etc).

Depending on how modified the car is you might have to go through just car and get 3rd party. Most companies like AAMI etc won't insure heavily modified vehicles (ei engine swaps).

I hope you aren't driving without insurance, cos thats just stupid!

I am also so surprised at insurance Qs like this. Its really something you should look at before buying the car. If you can't afford the insurance you can't afford the car. Sorry to be blunt but its as simple as that.

Good luck with it.

pablos8
14-07-2010, 01:07 PM
$2800 isnt that bad for full comprehensive, mine is about $3,600, but I opted to take third party and thats about $650..

Either way pretty much anywhere you go, having an engine conversion + being under 25 and selecting an agreed value will raise the premium significantly, just car is good in the sense they have an unlimited modification policy as long as the mods are roadworthy and legal, is ur b16a engineered? it all depends but its up to you, either way if its in your name i doubt you'll find full comprehensive for under $1.5k minimum.. all depends how much you are willing to pay for a modified car under 25 years old :(

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm 21 and have a clean history, no offences or claims. My B16A CRX costs abotu $950 for full comprehensive with Shannons on an 'Extreme Limited Use' policy where I can only drive it once a fortnight lol.

For my daily driver D16 Civic my lowest quote was $1200, so I'm sticking to my $400 3rd party.

It's not worth it mate. Too much money.

markismaximus
14-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm 21 and have a clean history, no offences or claims. My B16A CRX costs abotu $950 for full comprehensive with Shannons on an 'Extreme Limited Use' policy where I can only drive it once a fortnight lol.

For my daily driver D16 Civic my lowest quote was $1200, so I'm sticking to my $400 3rd party.

It's not worth it mate. Too much money.

But isn't your CRX a grey-import?

[[d a n n y]]
14-07-2010, 02:54 PM
wow thats expensive
my b16a EG was agreed value 13K around 4 years ago
and i payed 900 a year
now im 26 and i pay 990 a year for my is250 sports agreed value 56K

if you have a good record
then it's gota be your area
high risk zone

nickk
14-07-2010, 03:15 PM
wow. OK, I'm 19, had one license suspension and no claims. Might have to opt for the nominated driver option with the policy in the old man's name (Costs me $700 on my '05 VZ SV6). Should work out considerably less than $2800... i think?

edit: I'm in a fairly low risk area... Even though I have had my car stolen before. It was uninsured and I recovered it in 12 hours, so that wouldn't effect my premium.

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 03:23 PM
But isn't your CRX a grey-import?

Well it's an EF8 and was legally imported, so I suppose it is. Is that a problem with insurance? I told them it's an import not available in the AUDM.

[[d a n n y]]
14-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Well it's an EF8 and was legally imported, so I suppose it is. Is that a problem with insurance? I told them it's an import not available in the AUDM.

it does
due to parts if there is an accident (harder to get on imports)
thats why some insurance companies do not insure imports

VT3C
14-07-2010, 06:29 PM
man or THAT premium i'd just insure for 3rd party and risk your own property (car) as your premium is like 1/3rd of the total value of the car !!!!!

and doesnt matter if you're an angel or the devil, if you're under 25, bend over and prepare to take it..

Just car is the only place that touches modified cars and young dudes but they offset the risk with sky-high premiums.. but it's THAT or NOTHING till u hit 25 then u can talk to SHANNONS who are very good with mods etc. but personally not impressed with them now i';ve had to make a hail-storm damage claim :( "choice of repairer" my ass !! unless they mean THEIR choice ie. the cheapest fkn useless quote they can dogilly dig-up !! and dont get me started on "Agreed" value.. my agreed value somehow dropped by almost 30% from last year to this year - i didnt fkn "AGREE" to that !! but my del sol's "AGREED" value stayed the same.. go figure..

remember an insurance company is only as good as when you make a claim !!

quangsuke
14-07-2010, 06:55 PM
$2800 isnt that bad for full comprehensive, mine is about $3,600, but I opted to take third party and thats about $650..

Either way pretty much anywhere you go, having an engine conversion + being under 25 and selecting an agreed value will raise the premium significantly, just car is good in the sense they have an unlimited modification policy as long as the mods are roadworthy and legal, is ur b16a engineered? it all depends but its up to you, either way if its in your name i doubt you'll find full comprehensive for under $1.5k minimum.. all depends how much you are willing to pay for a modified car under 25 years old :(

3,600?
my full comp with just cars is 1100 and im only 20.

even my friend which has a eg b16 has got insurance for about the same amount with just cars.

wow. OK, I'm 19, had one license suspension and no claims. Might have to opt for the nominated driver option with the policy in the old man's name (Costs me $700 on my '05 VZ SV6). Should work out considerably less than $2800... i think?

edit: I'm in a fairly low risk area... Even though I have had my car stolen before. It was uninsured and I recovered it in 12 hours, so that wouldn't effect my premium.

i think its because your license has been suspended.....
better off getting dads insurance. =D

goodluck

markismaximus
14-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Its a grey import because it was never sold new in Aus.

and exactly what danny said. When I had my R32 just car actually changed their policy saying they could use parts of equal quality to that on the existing vehicle, ei they didn't have to pay for new parts to come from Japan and could use 2nd hand parts

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I'll call to investigate, but I told them specifically it's the SiR model imported from Japan, never available here.

Only insured for $9,000 though. They tried to drop it to $8,500 last time I renewed but I rang and said they could put it back up to $9g or lose my policy altogether lol. They put it back on $9g :)

boyjkl1111
14-07-2010, 11:51 PM
better transfer to ur father or mother, will safe a big money. lol

WA-EG
16-07-2010, 10:04 AM
i am insured with shannons for both my cars. I'm 23. Almost 24 with a loss of licence under the belt.

The civic is just under 700 a year for agreed value of 8k. Its B18c2 conversion.

My mini doesnt have much standard gear left on it. with full engine conversion, suspension, interior, rims.... Agreed value 19k. i now pay lmited use 300/yr. i bought it at 18. Was paying 1100/yr.....

nickk
16-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I hope you aren't driving without insurance, cos thats just stupid!

I am also so surprised at insurance Qs like this. Its really something you should look at before buying the car. If you can't afford the insurance you can't afford the car. Sorry to be blunt but its as simple as that.

Good luck with it.

I have a cover note on the car for an agreed value of $7,500, I wouldn't be that idiotic. It's not a matter of affording insurance. I paid a $5000 premium to have my Holden VY SS insured in my name for the 9 months that I owned it. I just think that $2800 is a bit excessive considering I want an agreed value of $7.5k, probably because its deemed to have a higher risk of being involved in an accident. I was curious as to what everyone else is paying as an indication. I'm about to call Shannon's and see what they say. AAMI + RACV won't insure a car with modifications that exceed the market value of the car.

VT3C
16-07-2010, 03:06 PM
i am insured with shannons for both my cars. I'm 23. Almost 24 with a loss of licence under the belt.

The civic is just under 700 a year for agreed value of 8k. Its B18c2 conversion.

My mini doesnt have much standard gear left on it. with full engine conversion, suspension, interior, rims.... Agreed value 19k. i now pay lmited use 300/yr. i bought it at 18. Was paying 1100/yr.....

wow that's really good !! i am goin to have to call shannons up and do a please explain cause i'm 32, never lost my license, full points on my license and havnt had an at-fault crash for like 10 years and i think i am paying about $700 a year (not going to say what the existing 'agreed' value is but more than 8k) plus i have 3 cars in total with them :(

EK1.6LCIV
16-07-2010, 03:10 PM
in qld I wouldve called up racq and just said it had an engine change, specified new numbers, and they would've just added it as a mod for me

I've been paying very little to insure mine for years now with it way over market value so $60mo or $700 odd a yr, any more and it's not really worth it lol (24yro driver with no loss of licence holding a full licence with a rating one for life)

WA-EG
16-07-2010, 04:17 PM
wow that's really good !! i am goin to have to call shannons up and do a please explain cause i'm 32, never lost my license, full points on my license and havnt had an at-fault crash for like 10 years and i think i am paying about $700 a year (not going to say what the existing 'agreed' value is but more than 8k) plus i have 3 cars in total with them :(

yeah for the civic they said 600 for full comp. Went up to 700 cause its got the B18. i thought it was fine. the guy i spoke to knew hondas and he gave me the agreed value figure as i had no idea what it was worth when i got it.

dougie_504
16-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I love Shannons. They really listen to you and understand. Most insurance companies just sell that as their moral, but Shannons really does.

nickk
19-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Just got full comprehensive under old mans name! $860 per year with $900 excess with me as a nominated driver. Agreed value of $8,500. Very very happy!

aznstyler
22-07-2010, 09:58 PM
what compnay you with?

nickk
23-07-2010, 04:36 PM
allianz, got it through my company under the old man's name. lol you kno who i am don't u bro?

aznstyler
23-07-2010, 06:45 PM
yeh , call me!! lols

Jye
28-07-2010, 03:28 PM
The problem with Allianz is that you can't have rims wider then 6". My rims are 7" wide so I changed insurers.