PDA

View Full Version : removing decals

tOniies
14-07-2010, 07:11 PM
just wondering, how do you guys get decals off when they've been stuck there since the car was made?
ive read up on the hair dryer methods and a plastic razor blade to scrape off the decal. has anyone tried it before with success?

CiveK1
14-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah, i used a heat gun on the little GLi sticker, might have been a tad hot though cos the glue started to burn a little. It came off but i spent the next 10 minutes scrubbing real hard with a wet tea towel to get all the glue residue off.
Thought i'd stuffed it up badly but with a little elbow grease it cleaned up really nice.

There might be an easier way but i was too cheap to go buy proper product and too scared to wreck the paint using any common solvents.

DC5.Raven
14-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I've used a hair dryer to get rid of the 'Civic' and 'CXi' badges off my EK1.
Though you will need to use polish/wax to remove the residue.
If they still dont come off then use metho.
But make sure you dont leave the metho on the car for a long period of time and I like to apply another coat of wax to the area that I used metho on.

DC5.Raven
14-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I think razor blades are safer used removing stuff from glass (e.g. stickers on windshield).
It may damage your paint or clear.

dness
14-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I use wax and grease remover. Wipe it down with a cloth afterwards. Works all the time.
I think a razor is ok to use as long as you're careful.

ekcoupe
14-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Heat with a hairdryer, peel the sticker/decal off with your finger nails then to get the excess glue off use what dness suggested (wax n grease remover;)) spray a little bit on an wipe off if it dosent come off try again.

if the decal is on the window then its a good idea to heat it up an use the razorblade to scrape it off but i wouldnt use it on the paint. gl

aznstyler
14-07-2010, 09:31 PM
use wax and grease remover

tinymoon
14-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I use WD-40, hair dryer, wax as well as acetone (Nail polish remover) to remove decals, stickers, Rego..... whatever i need, never tried razor

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Hair dryer until they're warm and will peel off. I used eucalyptus oil to get the adhesive off.

I did this method to remove my 'Civic' and 'VTi' badge of my '94 Civic and then put on those new shiny ones that the new models have :D

dness
15-07-2010, 01:09 AM
to thread starter and everyone else.
do not use acetone (as tinymoon writes/suggests). yes, it works well - but it will also take the clear top coat off your car and if you rub it in even more, paint too.

JDM-05R
15-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I use wax and grease remover. Wipe it down with a cloth afterwards. Works all the time.
I think a razor is ok to use as long as you're careful.

+1 workes the best