PDA

View Full Version : workshop experiences

ts0nda
01-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Im halfway through saving up for getting a b16a into my car and ive started asking around getting some quotes etc. So far im leaning towards BMT cause ive seen alot of shit theyve done on the street and im very impressed. (oh im in VIC). Ive also heard that a place called RevZone are good at what they do too.

Just wondering if people who have had engine swaps done before, have got stories on how happy they are with the workshop they went to. Just looking for some personal experiences thats all.

[[d a n n y]]
01-12-2003, 02:57 PM
bro do it urself it's a good experience..and it aint that hard either ..well if u know what ur doing.. :D

but yeah after 1 of these things u'll learn alot more about the car and the mechanics of it..

ps..i am going to tackle the b16a by instaliing it myself..

vti-2
01-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by [[danny]]:
bro do it urself it's a good experience..and it aint that hard either ..well if u know what ur doing..

That's all good but he clearly wants opinions about workshops. Please keep this on topic and answer his original question to save this thread going in the wrong direction. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by ts0nda:
Just wondering if people who have had engine swaps done before, have got stories on how happy they are with the workshop they went to. Just looking for some personal experiences thats all.

BMT have tuned a handful of Hondas. I think Benny used to work for Mugen in Japan (or some similar Honda company) so i doubt you will find many faults in his work. Dean at ART has worked on heaps of Honda's including a friend's EK4 and he's pretty happy with the work (be prepared to pay though ;)). I'm not sure about RevZone though, i personally have never been there but from what i've heard they've damaged a few engines.

It all comes down to how much $$$ you have to spend.

Do you have an idea of how much you will have to spend on the swap?

poweredbyhonda
01-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Well Dean from Technik Tuning (formerly ART) is pretty good but is now expanding the business. They are quite dear but I guess these days you get what you pay. Gavin who has just bought into the company even said it himself that costs will go up for them and yes we in the end will have to pay more. More work is carried out by the crew where as Dean used to do most of the main things when they were smaller.
So far it's the best place I have bought my car.
(Been to ASV, Hyper tech & Johnsons Performance, all of them are shit!!)

accordpwr
01-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Benny and Bao from BMT is pretty good at hondas. Revzone....don't even bother. ART....no comment! When my bro took his mitsubishi to Revzone for timing belt change....the belt was out 2 teeths! Luckily the engine didn't blow up....and they didn't even know what was wrong. First and last time going there! Blew up my friend's R34 GTR as well!

ts0nda
01-12-2003, 08:20 PM
hey thnx for the replies. Yea i really dont have the equipment to do an engine swap myself let alone the knowledge ;) Id have to do it with somebody one time and i guess it would give me the confidence.

I got quoted roughly $6000 from BMT for a jap b16a with roughly 50,000 km. Thats for complete swap drive away. Thats the one im currently going for. But its pretty much the maximum im willing to pay.

Well so far looks like im gonna be sticking with them.

CUDDLS
01-12-2003, 09:49 PM
I have my car serviced and tuned by Adrian from Razz Tech Performance, they hold the record for the fastest fwd Victorian car, (BLKCRX) and there work is absolute unreal, they also have so much engineering knowledge, I love my car, and its great when a workshop have the same pride in looking after my car. One thing I’v noticed is corners will never be cut, its pay to do it correctly the first time or not at all.
They also have lots of race experience with Adrian’s dad being a former mcalarin f1 engineer and mechanic, it’s a great father son workshop with no bling bling frills associated with it.

Cat

A'PEXi
02-12-2003, 12:43 AM
I got quoted roughly $6000 from BMT for a jap b16a with roughly 50,000 km. Thats for complete swap drive away. Thats the one im currently going for. But its pretty much the maximum im willing to pay.

Well so far looks like im gonna be sticking with them.

I think that BMT has a good name and I agree that you should stick with them. 6000 for the swap seems to be a reasonable price considering it includes a jap spec b16a drive away with relativley low klms.... here workshops charge like 5k for labour for a swap.... rip job :P

EKIV
16-12-2003, 11:17 PM
6000 ? for b16a ?
I am 100% sure I can find a place where cost you less than that ..
I am in vic as well...
ART & REVZONE -- no comment ..
I know a good and cheap place in Melbourne .
not so famous in Vtec . but kinda famous in WRX ..
nevertheless , my friends and I usually brought cars to there ..
they charge very reasonable .
supplied and fited my friend's MR2 engine and turbo , 2800 ..
what do u think ?

Setanta
17-12-2003, 06:53 AM
6000 including the motor - turn-key drive-out is an excellent price and what you'd expect to have it done properly. My guess is they freshen the motor at the same time with new seals etc and put a warentee on it.

For 6K I'd be in there like a flash.

Where's BMT located? I have to have a service done while I'm down in Vic for 5 weeks - I'll be at Healesville and Maldon (Bendigo) so I'm guessing when I'm at Healesville will be the time to do it.

vti-2
17-12-2003, 06:58 AM
BMT are located in Fairfield.

5 Abbott Street
Fairfield 3078
03 9497 5600