PDA

View Full Version : odd power steering sound..

euro1603
15-07-2010, 10:40 PM
lately i have notice when manuvring the car at very low speed like tight angle parking where the steering can go lock to lock, there is very faint squeaking from the steering wheel, 40k service soon so will get it check out, but anyone come across this before? i've checked the power steering fluid and its full.

hongster
17-07-2010, 05:25 PM
sorry i dont know what it is but mine and a freinds with roughly the same km's as yours makes the exact same noise your talking about

Tekkenforce
17-07-2010, 05:43 PM
rare case scenario but might be a leak in your hose?

tknova
18-07-2010, 12:42 AM
I've noticed the same thing - Comming from the steering wheel. 06 euro. You need to turn the stero off to hear it though.

Anybody know a fix or what it is?

stradlegroove
18-07-2010, 12:59 AM
the power steering rack is leaking perhaps..?? but it's good knowing no draining on power steering fluid..

lor012
25-07-2010, 10:28 PM
i have an awfully similar sound coming from mine atm.. its almost like a deep whine? i guess.. hard to describe..
i had a hole in a high pressure power steering hose about 6 months ago.. fingers crossed its not the same thing again.. or your not having the same problem as it set me back a good $400...
good luck mate..

viper8548
25-07-2010, 10:35 PM
lately i have notice when manuvring the car at very low speed like tight angle parking where the steering can go lock to lock, there is very faint squeaking from the steering wheel, 40k service soon so will get it check out, but anyone come across this before? i've checked the power steering fluid and its full.

I have the exact same squeaking sound when steering at low speed, keep us updated!

CB7_OWNER
25-07-2010, 10:36 PM
common problem. would be something related to the steering rack or power steering hosing somewhere. hope ur car is under warranty still. if not, ask for a repair under goodwill.

aaronng
25-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Squeeking is steering rack (mine squeaks too). Not sure how to fix it. Probably needs regreasing.
Whirring is power steering pump (hope it is not faulty).

raffyboy
27-07-2010, 02:30 PM
^ yeh that might be right

tknova
28-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I've got a Honda dealer service in around 3 weeks I've noticed mine only squeaks at low speed too. It start's and stops when turning fast or slow.

Will get Honda to check it the squeek - Should be covered on the extended warranty.

Will report back.

euro1603
19-08-2010, 09:36 PM
came back from my 40k service today, told them about the odd power steering noise. they suspect that it is because of the aftermarket wheels, larger wheels are straining the power steering.. he told me to put on my oem wheels and see if the noise persist.. well i've sold my wheels, so can't do sht.. so anyone here with the oem wheels making the sound?

SPQR
19-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Squeeking is steering rack (mine squeaks too). Not sure how to fix it. Probably needs regreasing.
Whirring is power steering pump (hope it is not faulty).

My CL9 had this sqeeking at around 40K. It was a leaking hose which was replaced under warranty. My car has the whirring sound now that it's approaching 110K. I had it in at the local dealer last week. The seals in the PS pump are failing and the pump is leaking fluid. They told me that they can recondition it for $275. This is a lot less than a new PS pump for which I was quoted $1,100 for the part. But I checked with my favourite Acura parts seller and they can get me one for about $600. I think I'll try the reconditioning first.

came back from my 40k service today, told them about the odd power steering noise. they suspect that it is because of the aftermarket wheels, larger wheels are straining the power steering.. he told me to put on my oem wheels and see if the noise persist.. well i've sold my wheels, so can't do sht.. so anyone here with the oem wheels making the sound?

Possibly, if the overall tyre diameter is greater than stock; which can also cause auto transmission problems later. But it's generally a standard ploy to set you up into thinking you have dudded your warranty.

by-life
20-08-2010, 07:07 PM
My euro with oem tyres over 45k, I can feel and hear whirring sound when make left side big turn at very low speed. But, couldn't feel it when stop the car. Just finished the 45k service, and dealer mentioned there was not problem and they could not feel anything about the noise. : (

blueblood
24-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Yeah got the same issue 06 Euro 110k..Did a power steering flush as well..still did not fix..gonna take it back