PDA

View Full Version : EK Headlight cracks

haku
16-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi guys.

I've had my EK1 for almost a year now and ever since I bought the car the headlights have had some strange markings/cracks on them.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5263/p7160033.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/p7160033.jpg/)

Sorry for the not so good picture but you can see the tiny lines. I intially thought they were on the outside surface so I polish the headlights but it didn't go away! They're not too noticable unless you have a close look at the hazy parts of the headlights.

I was wondering what could have caused this and if there was a way to fix it without having to replace them.

EK1.6LCIV
16-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd be investing in some oem headlight protectors for them at a dealership, less than $50, good insurance againt more damage :)

haku
16-07-2010, 02:44 PM
those would protect from external damage right? I'll look into getting some but what could have caused the cracks from the inside? that's whats baffling me at the moment =\

dahondr98
17-07-2010, 08:13 AM
It looks strange, alright. I can't say that I know what has caused it, but the first thing that I'd be checking is the wattage of the headlight globes installed. If they are more than the stock 55/60 watt globes, chuck them out and install some standard wattage globes. Unfortunately some people think the way to fix their dull headlights (caused by inadequate wiring and easily fixed by upgrading that with thicker wiring and relays) is to install higher wattage bulbs, which always damage plastic headlights due to excess heat, so I'd suspect it could be that.

haku
17-07-2010, 04:11 PM
That sounds plausible dahondr98. Judging from the logs there were 2 owners before me so one of them could have used the wrong globes. I know for sure that the globes I installed when I bought the car are 55W. But what about repairing? Would this mean I would have to replace the whole thing or is it possible to just replace the plastic?

dahondr98
18-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Yes, I think they are only available as the whole thing. Even if you could remove the front and replace it, chances are you'd have to get either the whole thing new off Honda, or you'd have a whole one anyway if you got them off a wrecker, so you might as well replace the whole thing. Have a look around at a few wreckers to see if you can get some that look OK, at a reasonable price.

Limbo
18-07-2010, 02:07 AM
parking in the sun all the time can cause healights to crack, its wear and tear.

To fix it you can replace the plastic housing but the time and effort its easier to get a new pair.

Usually when you use 100w globes they just burn the front housing or cause the wires/plugs to fry