PDA

View Full Version : Bother with Pod filter?

MTX BOY
01-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Im getting extractors fitted next week and i was wondering should i also get a pod filter? are they worth it? do they do much? :roll: thanx

bennjamin
01-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Depending on what car you have - you shoudl simply buy a hi-flow replacement filter , use your stock airbox , and simply run a Cold air intake pipe thru ur bumper to it - Its not worth the bother using simply just a open pod - its illegal and LOSES HP.

I suggest , Trust , K+N etc -

Ben 8)

joneblaze
01-12-2003, 07:28 PM
ben's right dude.... if you're considering running an open/exposed aftermarket pod filter in ur engine bay u should think twice bout it. try removing ur airbox cover for a day, drive around and you'll see what i mean. bet ur car feels less responsive and more sluggish with all that hot air being sucked it.. :)
hope that helps.

jon

Bumble B
01-12-2003, 10:02 PM
You'll get a lot of noise with the pod filter though...

Is it legal to have a pod filter with an air box around it?

joneblaze
01-12-2003, 10:04 PM
You'll get a lot of noise with the pod filter though...

Is it legal to have a pod filter with an air box around it?

yup.

A'PEXi
02-12-2003, 12:46 AM
maybe you should get a panel filter and a cold air feed going to that... can be done as a 'diy job'.... otherwise the pod wont do much unless you have a full cai system. pods hanging around in the engine bay sucking in hot air is useless..... if you want bang for buck - i would suggest an aftermarket replacement panel filter + some tubing for cold air feed :D

vti-2
02-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Exposed pod filters in an engine bay aren't that bad. I doubt you will notice a big difference between an exposed pod filter sitting in an engine bay and an enclosed air filter with a pipe running to it from under the front bar. It's a gimic a lot of workshops/retailers use so you go out and spend $400 on an AEM intake system or something similar. A $100 K&N pod filter will do the same job and if there is a kw difference it's probably about 1kw.

Bumble B
02-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks, maybe I'll join Tony & co with the DIY CAI system. hehe :)

hebe
02-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks, maybe I'll join Tony & co with the DIY CAI system. hehe :)

hahaha are you? tell me how much it is approx...i might do it too...help the car breathe :D :dance:

Setanta
02-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Exposed pod filters in an engine bay aren't that bad. I doubt you will notice a big difference between an exposed pod filter sitting in an engine bay and an enclosed air filter with a pipe running to it from under the front bar. It's a gimic a lot of workshops/retailers use so you go out and spend $400 on an AEM intake system or something similar. A $100 K&N pod filter will do the same job and if there is a kw difference it's probably about 1kw.

I disagree. Heat soak in summer is a big issue and as intake charge temps increase, air density becomes an issue. That's the purpose behind a CAI, it pulls a cooler charge into the inlet than can be achieved from under the engine bay. Ask Spunkymunky about how much power she retrieved when she went back to a stock airbox from a under bonnet pod.

one more chance
02-12-2003, 05:23 PM
for all your DIY CAI needs, click http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/howto/coldAirIntake/default.asp

one more chance
02-12-2003, 05:28 PM

yeh but add into the equation this.. your sittng at a set of lights on a hot summers day, air temperature is 33 degrees, can you imagine the temperature under the hood? like 70-80 degrees.... and your pod is suck all this in, and the radiator fan adds to the problem!
either stick with the factory box, or get an enclosed box with intake or relocate the pod to the front bar!

MTX BOY
02-12-2003, 05:42 PM
thanx for all the help guys :)

vti-2
02-12-2003, 06:37 PM
I disagree. Heat soak in summer is a big issue and as intake charge temps increase, air density becomes an issue. That's the purpose behind a CAI, it pulls a cooler charge into the inlet than can be achieved from under the engine bay. Ask Spunkymunky about how much power she retrieved when she went back to a stock airbox from a under bonnet pod.

In theory that's all good, but i'm yet to see a huge power difference between an under bonnet pod and a CAI setup.

How many kw's are you talking about here?

yeh but add into the equation this.. your sittng at a set of lights on a hot summers day, air temperature is 33 degrees, can you imagine the temperature under the hood? like 70-80 degrees.... and your pod is suck all this in, and the radiator fan adds to the problem!
either stick with the factory box, or get an enclosed box with intake or relocate the pod to the front bar!

My Honda runs fine even on a really hot day. I don't notice a power difference between driving it in winter or summer apart from the louder/harsher induction noise on a colder night. Power difference doesn't come into the equation.

Rowie
02-12-2003, 06:40 PM
when I drive to Cooma (which I do quite often) due to the colder air and atmosphere my car loses a noticable amount of power :cry: The car doesnt start running 100% again until just north of goulburn.

joneblaze
02-12-2003, 07:01 PM

In theory that's all good, but i'm yet to see a huge power difference between an under bonnet pod and a CAI setup.

How many kw's are you talking about here?

My Honda runs fine even on a really hot day. I don't notice a power difference between driving it in winter or summer apart from the louder/harsher induction noise on a colder night. Power difference doesn't come into the equation.

hey vic im newb, but when i was experimenting taking my airbox cover off i noticed a distinct lag in my dc2's performance...... wouldn't having a totally exposed pod in ur engine bay be detrimental to ur cars performance? i mean im sure having a DIY CAI wouldn't improve power much at all, but surely the exposed pod would be having negative effects?

bennjamin
02-12-2003, 07:43 PM
hey vic im newb, but when i was experimenting taking my airbox cover off i noticed a distinct lag in my dc2's performance...... wouldn't having a totally exposed pod in ur engine bay be detrimental to ur cars performance? i mean im sure having a DIY CAI wouldn't improve power much at all, but surely the exposed pod would be having negative effects?

Jons got it in one. Kinda.

Besides all this talk about "KW at teh wheels etc" from a good CAI , for one , a exposed pod will do often more harm than good - HOT air is a ENEMY of an engine :P

ONE common mis-conception of CAI's is that peope think " oh ,it will increase air flow etc" where this is not so true - A EFI ( computer controlled ) engine will only run upon the same inlet and outlet principles everytime , changing according to RPM's or VTEC etc - it is irrelevant to "how many codl air pipes" or POD fitlers u have supplying air to it - the engine will only ever allow the same amount of air in.

So , having a CAI will not "increase flow" but more so increase cold-air volume for the engine - basically When the inlet port opens , its always best for more cold air to be there waiting to be sucked in at one stroke !

So , a CAI is far better , more increasing efficiency , (more pure combustion) even better fuel economy. But it will "feel faster" - dont expect more than handfull of KW's at the wheels.

Hmm...and besides , a POD filter is just illegal , and is so "late 90's" like CHROME lol :P

(feel free to add or correct pro's)

typer636
16-12-2003, 08:40 AM
I put a pod-filter on my 92 Pulsar SSS when I had it and I regretted it.

I got Zero performance increase and 100% noise increase from the wrong end of the car.

If you want a loud hollow induction droning from under youre bonnet go ahead.

I agree that a CAI will be better, its all about air density and less about air flow.

More air = more bang, more bang = more power.

VTEC16
05-01-2004, 02:56 PM
im building my own DIY CAI....just read the how-to in the link above (the del-sol page).

Im not expecting a huge difference....maybe 10-15 rwkw....but not much more. :shock:

Choongas
05-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Hmm...and besides , a POD filter is just illegal , and is so "late 90's" like CHROME lol :P

(feel free to add or correct pro's)

Ive heard that an exposed POD filter is illegal, but is legal if its sealed or whatever? Anyone know for sure?

The POD breathing in hot air makes your car lag from my exp too. Sounds crazy though in tunnels and stuff.

XXpl0Sive
05-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Yes, Integra's have POD-type filters in airboxes from the factory.

bennjamin
05-01-2004, 05:25 PM
im building my own DIY CAI....just read the how-to in the link above (the del-sol page).

Im not expecting a huge difference....maybe 10-15 rwkw....but not much more. :shock:

Oh really ? So a good CAI will increase my REAR WHEELS of my civic from 0 rear-wheel-kilowatts up to 10-15kw ? MADD ! FOOLEY SICK !

BWhahahahahahhahahahaaaaa.....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

XXpl0Sive
05-01-2004, 05:40 PM
OK now that is funny on so many levels!

A'PEXi
05-01-2004, 08:49 PM
hahaahhahahahah ben :D and im expecting a 20rwkw gain on my civic, even tho is fwd hahahahahhahahahahhahahahaha :D

anyway regarding cai's - cold air good - hot air bad.
therefore cai = good
therefore LHS = RHS
QED

peeece :D

Setanta
05-01-2004, 10:40 PM

ROFLMAO :D :D :D :D

10 - 15... you're DREAMING

maybe 3 @ the wheels... big maybe :P

I'm going to ignore the rear wheel bit... too busy laughing :P

LatinoHatchCrap
06-01-2004, 05:44 PM

Worst post ever!!! :D

Pods are nopt so bad they can actually increase torque as opposed to CAI systems which increase top end. To overcome the hot air issue you can always build a heat shield aorund the pod or buy a mugen-copy airbox wit cold air extension

vti-2
07-01-2004, 01:15 PM
CAI is not worth the hassle i tell ya! Everytime you want to clean the filter you need to take off the whole front bar. Major pain in the a$$. Pods rock!

joneblaze
07-01-2004, 01:57 PM
CAI is not worth the hassle i tell ya! Everytime you want to clean the filter you need to take off the whole front bar. Major pain in the a$$. Pods rock!

Aren't you able to have a CAI setup without relocating your pod filter to the lower front area? :roll: I thought CAI stood for Cold Air Intake, and in most basic form is merely the piping from front bar or cooler area leading to pod/airbox in engine bay?

vti-2
07-01-2004, 02:11 PM

Aren't you able to have a CAI setup without relocating your pod filter to the lower front area? :roll: I thought CAI stood for Cold Air Intake, and in most basic form is merely the piping from front bar or cooler area leading to pod/airbox in engine bay?

Yes yes, true indeed, but a 'true' CAI has the 'pod' filter sitting under or just behind the front bar.

Apparently leaving the pod in the engine bay isn't good anyway. It's not as efficient. :D

LatinoHatchCrap
07-01-2004, 03:19 PM
theres no concreete proof that one is better than the other though...personally i think a pod which is sorrounded by a heatshield and has piping drawing air from the front is a decent setup

EG_2_TEG
15-01-2004, 01:33 AM
in Perth, it's not illegal for havin an exposed pod filter
although, u'll probably still get a yellow sticker for it if ya pulled over, but u can get permits for it when ya run it over the pits

i've just stuck a filter in my stock air box for the time being:
http://www.integrated.org.au/cars/navrally/page2/imagepages/image35.htm

i'm not the one to care to much about my slight power loss/gain with it
it sounds mad ;)
especially on VTEC:
http://www.integrated.org.au/footage/civic.avi
and that's even with a stock exhaust system!

madgrk
24-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Sorry to drag this up from the dead, but wdf!?!?!?!?

i'm not the one to care to much about my slight power loss/gain with it
it sounds mad
especially on VTEC:
http://www.integrated.org.au/footage/civic.avi
and that's even with a stock exhaust system!

Dude do you own a GSi?? Am I going insane, but they are just DOHC NON-VTEC yes?!?!? Have you put in a VTi-R engine in??

Please dont say you have VTEC if you dont, because it confuses me :(

Theo :D

joneblaze
24-01-2004, 08:48 PM
The .avi clip is a Civic... so probably a VtiR EK or something else equipped with B series....
Yes, the GSi is DOHC Non-VTEC engine..B18B...

EG_2_TEG
24-01-2004, 09:14 PM
yep, the video clip is a civic...

that's Civic Type R before he got his exhaust system

couple of vids of my teg:
http://www.integrated.org.au/footage/chirp.avi (standard clutch)
http://www.integrated.org.au/footage/chirphd.avi (heavy duty clutch)

and more various footage at:
http://www.integrated.org.au/footage ;)

hondar
30-01-2004, 07:06 AM
IMHO:

All this things only got to do with flow velocity, flow capacity(how much air is being delivered) and flow quality (dry air flow)

FOR a CAI the only advantage you have is the HUMP at the dyno graph on the KW line when Vtec is engaged. Since it is longer in length, it is good for low-mid range gain.

A ram pod or short intake, it is to gain at high band of rpm. People are concerned whether the engine are sucking in the hot air. Yes only when the car is at a standstill. Once it gets into momentum, it is taking in the air which has the same temp. as the air around it.

ALSO IT IS IMPORTANT TO SEE THAT THE INTAKE SYSTEM as part of the bigger system. You need to have an exhaust system placed as well and complimenting your goal. Not only that, you need to see what do you want to achieve with your car

How much air can be taken depend upon how much exhaust or fumes you can expel in the engine. Its a simple physic. You can only fill in a vacuum.

With that, you need to use CAM GEARS to make adjustment as well when you have Intake and Exhaust systems in place. REMEMBER the timing of the intake and exhaust valves are set by Honda designed for stock OEM and not for people like us who wanted the max out of our car.

Back to the intake issue...
Ram pod or any intake is not your miracle worker who will see you gain 10-15kw. Not even a header can give you that gain without TUNING.

So how much gain an intake can have?
The answer is probably 0-3kw if you just change your intake/pod or CAI.
You will probably not be able to feel it on your DYNO BUTT. :)
Dont lose sleep over choosing what brand of intake to choose from.

It is a small issue and it is VERY IMPORTANT TO SEE THAT AN INTAKE WHETHER IT IS POD OR CAI OR STOCK AS PART OF THE BIGGER SYSTEM i.e.
intake manifold, fuel pump, radiator, gear (manual or auto trans), pistons, cams, exhaust system etct etc etc.
What you put in will affect others...

Hope my little explanation and hope not to confusing will help people in understanding the concept of Pod, or CAI.

hondar