PDA

View Full Version : can insurance companies refuse to pay if window tint is darker than legal?

invincible1
20-07-2010, 11:48 AM
hey guys im thinking of getting my car tinted(20%) which is darker than legally allowed. Is it true the insurance companies can refuse to pay incase of a crash?

pablos8
20-07-2010, 11:52 AM
hey guys im thinking of getting my car tinted(20%) which is darker than legally allowed. Is it true the insurance companies can refuse to pay incase of a crash?

The reason they insure you is that your modifications are "legally roadworthy" which 20% tint would not be.. It's not common that they knock the claim back due to tint but I wouldn't put it past them, if you want to be on the safe side get 35%, if you're willing to risk it then go the 20%.

markismaximus
20-07-2010, 12:46 PM
with something like too dark a tint I would be cautious. If the tint is excessively dark they could link it to the accident (you couldn't see the other car coming because your tint is too dark)

It seems stupid but I wouldn't put it past insurance companies

dougie_504
20-07-2010, 08:20 PM
with something like too dark a tint I would be cautious. If the tint is excessively dark they could link it to the accident (you couldn't see the other car coming because your tint is too dark)

It seems stupid but I wouldn't put it past insurance companies

Exactly my thought. This is why you can't tint your front windscreen.

If you don't give way to somebody because there's a 1% chance you didn't see them through your tint then your 'insurance' company will bend you over. It's how the work.
Aside from the obvious stories I actually mentioned my previous car accident to one of my patients, who happened to work for one of the bigger insurance companies, and her honest testimony was that they make money by screwing their customers, not from the premiums.

cyber_scriber
25-07-2010, 06:49 PM
The short answer is "yes, insurance companies can deny your claim if your tint is illegal".

Most insurance policies or Product Disclosure Statements will include a condition that your coverage is void if your car is not roadworthy or does not otherwise comply with the applicable laws and regulations.

Having an illegal tint is certainly a legitimate ground to deny a claim, particularly if there's any chance that the illegal tint contributed to the accident that is the subject of the claim.

IMO, it's not worth it to run with the cool crowd. Just get some dark sunnies ;)

bennjamin
25-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Any illegal modification or non-roadworthy part of your car CAN void any insurance.

Zilli
25-07-2010, 07:14 PM
^ that guy

tinymoon
25-07-2010, 08:00 PM
The short answer is "yes, insurance companies can deny your claim if your tint is illegal".

Most insurance policies or Product Disclosure Statements will include a condition that your coverage is void if your car is not roadworthy or does not otherwise comply with the applicable laws and regulations.

Having an illegal tint is certainly a legitimate ground to deny a claim, particularly if there's any chance that the illegal tint contributed to the accident that is the subject of the claim.

IMO, it's not worth it to run with the cool crowd. Just get some dark sunnies ;)

In some of cases, insurance can deny to pay for your claim due to certain crash which is like side crash. My friend was told that because the illegal tint reduce your visibility .... blah blah so they deny the claim.
My last car, Subaru Impreza, i have to change the tint due to advice from insurance company. I just did only darkest legal on my FD1 for now.

dougie_504
26-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Everybody should just stick to the darkest legal tint. It isn't really that cool.

DCZ 18C
27-07-2010, 06:52 PM
how would they know if you got it done darker then legal unless you tell them..???
but they may be dodgy and refuse a claim if you do have it....

duckey
27-07-2010, 06:57 PM
how would they know if you got it done darker then legal unless you tell them..???

insurance assessor.

pablos8
27-07-2010, 07:26 PM

they won't until you get into an accident and have to get the car assessed. then they'll see it all :)

tinymoon
28-07-2010, 03:35 AM
By the way, sorry for stealing your theard, The information on my insurance policy writtent hat
MAKE: Honda
MODEL: Civic VTI-L
MY10

BUT Actually my car is MY09, i asked to change the information several time bit the agent told me it is ok, no worry about it.
Should i request them to change details of my vehicle according to what i have? or just being naive and happy with what Insurance agent told me to ok.

Thanks

pablos8
28-07-2010, 04:05 AM
By the way, sorry for stealing your theard, The information on my insurance policy writtent hat
MAKE: Honda
MODEL: Civic VTI-L
MY10

BUT Actually my car is MY09, i asked to change the information several time bit the agent told me it is ok, no worry about it.
Should i request them to change details of my vehicle according to what i have? or just being naive and happy with what Insurance agent told me to ok.

Thanks

You should probably change it, tell the consultant that you don't care if it's okay or not you want it changed to the proper make and model, the calls are recorded anyway so if they do try and screw you tell them to pull the recording, take down the name of the consultant as well, if for some reason they still don't want to change it, push for a manager.

invincible1
28-07-2010, 02:00 PM
what if the tinting is already too dark when u get the car?

dness
28-07-2010, 04:13 PM
get it changed unless your car is pre 1994' before the this law came into effect.

cyber_scriber
28-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Aside from the already mentioned issue of your car being assessed if you make a claim, they'd also be within their rights to deny your claim because you've failed in your duty of disclosure to them.

As a condition of your insurance, you're obliged to disclose to your insurer, all material facts and issues that might affect their decision to insure you or that might increase your risk as an insured. It would be a safe bet that an illegal tint would be a fact that you're obliged to disclose.

tinymoon
30-07-2010, 08:50 PM
You should probably change it, tell the consultant that you don't care if it's okay or not you want it changed to the proper make and model, the calls are recorded anyway so if they do try and screw you tell them to pull the recording, take down the name of the consultant as well, if for some reason they still don't want to change it, push for a manager.

Thanks so much, I am going to do it right away with your advice.

tinymoon
30-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Aside from the already mentioned issue of your car being assessed if you make a claim, they'd also be within their rights to deny your claim because you've failed in your duty of disclosure to them.

As a condition of your insurance, you're obliged to disclose to your insurer, all material facts and issues that might affect their decision to insure you or that might increase your risk as an insured. It would be a safe bet that an illegal tint would be a fact that you're obliged to disclose.

Yup, in economics study we called it Signalling and Screening, which are both parties have duties to disclose the informations . I even had to update everything from a tiny mod to whatever i did to my car: tinting, streo system, rims, paint protection, parking at night blah blah. I learnt all the mistakes from my friends when he applied for a claim few months ago. I just can not believe how the accessor do their jobs. Even the consultant keep saying ok blah blah ...