PDA

View Full Version : New to FD Civic and I Want to Play!

Willo
20-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey Guys,

My tenth year wedding anniversary present was this awesome new car (really my 1994 Suzuki Swift went to god).

I'm a bit of a backyard mechanic and would like to do some servicing myself eventually and maybe a few mods.

Firstly, I'd really like to be able to read the OBD II data, I have a cable but as I found out with my Pathfinder, it uses a proprietary protocol. Can I use a standard ODBII software package to interface with my car???

I've also read about headlight mods, I's like to get some decent headlight globes for the car, what can I put in as standard to improve the headlight performance?

Finally, is there any service manual downloads? I saw an online version, I would rather have a downloaded or printed version though.

Thanks in Advance

Willo

xenonkuraz
20-07-2010, 01:01 PM
First off all lucky you!

I'm not sure about engine diagnostics for this car (I used to deal with Audi's and VW's all the time) but I'm sure it's possible.

As for headlight globes, I'd recommend getting an aftermarket HID kit (preferably branded as they are proven to last longer and provide better illumination) for both your low beam and fog lights (assuming you have them since it's a VTi-L). 6000k-8000k is ideal, not overpowering for oncoming traffic but still much brighter than the typical halogen globes.

There are plenty of service manuals circulating around, if you PM me your email I can send you a copy.

ej20i
20-07-2010, 01:02 PM
u can get a product called greddy informeter touch for your OBDII

u can get HIDs for your Headlight (PM me for more info)

u can get the service manual on this section and print it i guess

Willo
20-07-2010, 01:14 PM
First off all lucky you!

I'm not sure about engine diagnostics for this car (I used to deal with Audi's and VW's all the time) but I'm sure it's possible.

As for headlight globes, I'd recommend getting an aftermarket HID kit (preferably branded as they are proven to last longer and provide better illumination) for both your low beam and fog lights (assuming you have them since it's a VTi-L). 6000k-8000k is ideal, not overpowering for oncoming traffic but still much brighter than the typical halogen globes.

There are plenty of service manuals circulating around, if you PM me your email I can send you a copy.

Awesome, thanks.

u can get HIDs for your Headlight (PM me for more info)

Thanks

I'll send PM's

Willo
20-07-2010, 08:56 PM
First off all lucky you!

Hey Mate,

Have you been able to shoot me the service manual??

Cheers

Willo

Willo
20-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Holy crap the GReddy product isn't cheap huh? Any other cheaper alternatives? Does the Honda use standard protocol or proprietary?

ej20i
21-07-2010, 10:26 AM
how much is the Greddy??
i bought 2 at 399 each

Willo
21-07-2010, 11:03 AM
That's about right.. Just a shock. I'd prefer something a smidge cheaper...

curtis265
23-07-2010, 12:49 AM
look at the MSD dashhawk and the scangauge too. compare prices.

Willo
23-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks guys for info. Can someone point in the direction of a link to the service manual please.

Also had the windows tinted as part of my deal. Around the top of the windows instead of a clean cut it's jagged and on the back window there is a couple of hair line shaped bubbles about 1cm long on the bottom corner.

Do you reckon i should get it re-done?

Ta

Willo

Willo
25-07-2010, 09:57 PM
First off all lucky you!

Hi Mate,

Any reason you haven't hooked me up with the manual??

Could you please give some hints on where to find it in light of above post

essjemm
01-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I purchased a service manual for $15 off ebay. Is on CD and is the same as on this site.