PDA

View Full Version : Vtec problem

shinta
21-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to confirm if all b18 vtec solenoids come with a oil pressure switch?

I have a b18c2 in my eg and since the conversion was done the check engine light would come on everytime i go in vtec (roughly at the end of 3rd gear)
I've been told i should replace the solenoid with one that has a oil pressure switch on it, the current solenoid on my engine doesn't have one that's why..

just wondering if there is another way around this without replacing the vtec solenoid?

Thanks in advance!

nickk
22-07-2010, 10:30 AM
First check what the check engine light fault is, there are guides on how to do so readily available on forums.
If you don't know how to, or it doesn't work then it's a matter of trial and error.

You need a oil pressure switch! the following things all need to be 100% to be able to VTEC.

Check the following by process of elimination:
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
TPS (Throttle position sensor)
Tacho
Vtec solenoid gasket / screen (check for clogging)
Vtec Oil Pressure Switch
Oil/Oil Pressure, is your oil pan dinted at all? Have you changed oil recently?
Oil/Coolant temperature

I still suggest to see what the fault code that has been thrown is, first and foremost.

shinta
22-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks nick,

a mate of mine checked the fault code a while back and it was code 22 (was told it's the oil pressure switch)
my solenoid has no oil pressure switch, should I get another solenoid with a pressure switch and go from there?

nickk
22-07-2010, 01:51 PM
yeah definitely, I have never seen one without it. The slightest problem can screw things up, my VSS plug had a pin that was bent by less than 1mm and it wouldn't vtec until i straightened it. It shouldn't be hard to get the switch, call hondworld or some other wreckers, im sure they will have one.

shinta
25-07-2010, 02:48 AM
is there any other solenoids off a different model car, would fit a b18c2?

shinta
25-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Problem fixed!
for those who might have this problem in future here's the link i followed to bypass the oil pressure switch:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=131958

found out some jap model engines don't come with the pressure switch so all you have to do is bypass it on the ecu.