PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me with fog lights?

deejay
21-07-2010, 08:28 PM
how do i make the yellow light white?

what colour should i do whie or just leave it yellow?

for eg5

mugen_ctr
21-07-2010, 08:33 PM
it depends man, if the glass is yellow, than obvious u cant, but if its clear, change the bulb...
btw, yellow ftw!... theres a good reason why its yellow light, and not white

deejay
21-07-2010, 08:48 PM
tell me some of the reason?

deejay
21-07-2010, 08:48 PM
well if its yellow why cnt i just change the bulb too a white one?

lsvtec
21-07-2010, 09:27 PM
u can take the yellow lens off and their will be a clear lens under it, just got to take the fog light apart, quite easily done.

zillacles
21-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Because it will still shine through yellow glass and hence still be yellow ???

japa_VTEC
21-07-2010, 09:32 PM
dude change them to white lights (Y)

lsvtec
21-07-2010, 09:36 PM
i just took the yellow glass part off, the globe used in the fog lights is not yellow

AlexK
21-07-2010, 10:08 PM
it depends man, if the glass is yellow, than obvious u cant, but if its clear, change the bulb...
btw, yellow ftw!... theres a good reason why its yellow light, and not white
i agree yellow FTW, im about to do it to my car, id keep em yellow mate, but its a personal preference at the end of the day. Good luck mate :)

mugen_ctr
21-07-2010, 10:37 PM
cause in a real foggy situation, whos light are you gonna see 1st? the bright yellow ones, or white one? remember that fog is white/greyish, so im pretty sure the guy drivin the other way will notice you 1st, and vice verse....
In my case, cause the lens are actually glass, i dont think u can swap the lens, an also mine are cracked from rock debris :(

as much as u may hate on yellow foggies, at night, they look awsum :D

dahondr98
22-07-2010, 02:23 PM
There's a good reason why they are yellow, and not white. While fog lights can be either colour, yellow light has been scientifically established to be easier on eyes than white, and so any reflection of yellow light from fog affects the eyes less than reflection of white light. That means that it's easier for the eyes to pick up the edges of the road and lane markings at low speed (less than 30km/h) in fog, which is what fog lights are for. In other words, yellow fog lights are best. See these sites for more info: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html and http://www.lightingresearch.org/programs/transportation/pdf/SAE/2001-01-0320.pdf If you want white fog lights, you'll need to change the ones you have, for similar ones with clear lenses, but there's no good reason to do so, and several good ones not to do that.

Bear in mind that fog lights shouldn't be used to "improve" headlights - they don't, as due to the beam shape, at anything over 30km/h, you'll be outdriving the length of the beam - fog lights produce a very short (typically 20 to 40 metres) length beam, which is very wide, to pick up road edges etc. Using them all the time actually means you see less at night, because due to the fact that all of the light is produced close to the car, your pupils contract to reduce the light into your eyes, reducing your ability to see things (eg animals) in the distance, say 60-100 metres ahead of the car, where you can slow enough to avoid them. See http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html They are designed purely for use at very slow speeds, where visibility is limited. Using them in clear conditions affects other motorists' night vision badly, particularly coming over rises, and by reflecting off wet roads, because of the width of the beam. That's why it's illegal to use them in clear conditions now in Australia (law changed at the end of last year). If you want better headlights, there are ways of doing that (better wiring, relays, and better bulbs), or if you need them out of town, fit driving lights.

(Daniel Stern, whose website I linked, is an international vehicle lighting expert from the USA, and is a consultant to the USA government on vehicle lighting. He's also a frequent critic of the USA's generally poor vehicle lights, which have traditionally been a long way behind the European lighting standards which Australia laws follow.)

deejay
22-07-2010, 08:19 PM
lol whats for the essay dahondr98 lol
ill think ill leave them yellow then :) thanks guys