PDA

View Full Version : DC2 integra stalling randomly HELP!

JDM_VTIR
22-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey guys,

I need help diagnosing a problem that's been happening for about a week now with my 94 DC2 integra. I've had a quick search and I've found some helpful threads but the problem is still occurring.

The car just suddenly stalls randomly whilst driving or driving at slow speeds (happened a few times a day) Once it stalls, it doesn't turn on immediately. After turning it off for about a minute it'll startup again. This is the case everytime... I've already replaced the fuel pump a few months back so I can rule out that it isn't the problem.

The fuel relay was recently replaced as well. Problem remains.

Distributor coil was also replaced. Me and the mechanic both believed that was the solution after taking the old coil out. Drove it for about 30 minutes and it stalls again...I continued to drive the entire day and it didn't happen again...was it just a one of thing this time? I don't know...

What else could it possibly be...? I'm getting really annoyed and I'm constantly on edge while driving dreading that I'll stall at an intersection again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.

EKVTIR-T
22-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Have you checked for codes yet?

JDM_VTIR
22-07-2010, 04:42 PM
what do you mean by that sorry?

gr898
22-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Mate, try spraying some carborator cleaner in the trottle body while revving it at about 2-3 grand

EKVTIR-T
22-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I mean checked for OBD ecu error codes

Thats the first thing I would do :)

JDM_VTIR
22-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Ah yeah. I had the mechanic do that already I'm sure. Ignition Control Module error came up the first time. Scanned it again and there wasn't anymore errors..

JDM_VTIR
22-07-2010, 11:25 PM
anyone else have any other suggestions? drove it tonight and it stalled 4 times...

EKVTIR-T
22-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Damn sucks for you dude must feel like shit..

Umm is check engine light coming on before it shuts off?
Any telltales like water temp going up?

Really hard to say I mean apart from the basics,spark and fuel and with no codes coming up its even harder..

Best of luck mate

EKVTIR-T
22-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Also a longshot but maybe crappy fuel ? Its way random but hell who knows

dougie_504
23-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I'd clean the TB of course since it's the easiest start. Idling fine? Not misfiring?

grifty
23-07-2010, 12:36 AM
sounds like the ignition control module is on its way out, exact same thing happened to my car.

before going out and forking $100 on a new module you can try replacing the thermal paste which sits between the module and the heatsink. Its cheap to do if you can do it yourself its what fixed the problem with my car. You see what happens with an old car is that the thermal paste becomes old and dried out so it does not transfer heat as effectively as it should so thats why your experience stalling. Its because the module is overheating and shuts off to protect its self from overheating damage. Then it cools down and works fine again. If you can change the thermal paste yourself then it should cost you $10-15 max.

JDM_VTIR
23-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Check engine light and everything else you'd normally see when you stall appears. It's idling fine and it isn't misfiring at all. I'm going back to the mechanics today to sus it out further...I'll have a closer look at the ignition control module and hopefully all goes well this time...thanks for everyones input! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

JDM_VTIR
23-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Turns out it was the ignition control module. There wasn't any thermal paste on the module nor the heat sink. I replaced the whole module for $160 which isn't too bad. Thanks grifty - you were an enormous help! Thanks to the others as well.

Cheers.

Giraffe
23-07-2010, 05:37 PM
wow seems like this is a common problem, happened to my mates dc2, while i was driving it ..