PDA

View Full Version : Springs & Strut Bars

ekay1
22-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, im looking around for some decent springs and struct bars for my FD1 however have had little luck finding any products. Would anyone know of some decent brands of springs and strut bars for the FD1. Thanks alot! :)

JohnO
22-07-2010, 07:20 PM
can always try the js racing/mugen/spoon they definitely have fd items

ekay1
22-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Some brands havent made them for the FD yet and i want to buy some parts 2nd hand, but have no luck at the moment.

evil_1998
22-07-2010, 07:49 PM
From memory these strutbar/braces products are available for our FD:

Cusco has:

- 3 point strut bar
- front sway bar

Ultra-racing has:

- strut bars, front & rear
- anti-roll bars, front & rear
- 4 point braces, front, mid, rear

Tanabe has:
-rear 4 point brace

Springs:
-tein
-tanabe
-skunk2

ekay1
22-07-2010, 08:23 PM
From memory these strutbar/braces products are available for our FD:

Cusco has:

- 3 point strut bar
- front sway bar

Ultra-racing has:

- strut bars, front & rear
- anti-roll bars, front & rear
- 4 point braces, front, mid, rear

Tanabe has:
-rear 4 point brace

Springs:
-tein
-tanabe
-skunk2
Thanks evil!! which one would you recommend for quality without paying like an excess amount? and whats the diff between a strut bar, anti roll, 4 point brace etc? Thanks alot!!

evil_1998
22-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks evil!! which one would you recommend for quality without paying like an excess amount? and whats the diff between a strut bar, anti roll, 4 point brace etc? Thanks alot!!

Depends on your budget really, but these are rough prices & can depend of brand:

- strut bar joins the top of suspension towers ($200+)
- ARB connects bottom of suspension end links (under the car) ($300+)
- braces stiffen the chasis ($250+)

However front strut bars may not do very much in our cars, as out front suspension towers are very close to the firewall. The firewall itself already very strong & stiff therefore adding a strut bar in an already stiff area may not make much difference.

If got the money then buy coilovers, these will be improve handling over these bars.

At the moment I've purchased a thicker 19mm rear ARB to improve handling, while I'm saving for coilovers.

In my opinon ARB/Swaybars on the otherhand will make a much more noticeable difference in handling.

FDBenni
22-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Agreed with evil there, was discussing it with a mate, FD strut towers are right next to the firewall so its already very stiff, the windscreen would probably break before it flexes.

Definately go for the rear sway bar and coilover combo for the biggest improvements

ekay1
22-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Sorry for asking so many questons, but what dont swaybars do a similar job to the strut bars? and i think that im going for the springs due to my budget, but would love coilovers if i could get for around 500 :) Would you know any for around 500? im assuming second hand. Thanks a ton dude.!!!!!

xenonkuraz
22-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Cusco has:

- 3 point strut bar

Here's mine :)

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/117/img0360jb.jpg

^ you won't get any quality coil overs for around $500. I'd be looking at $800+ and I wouldn't recommend springs alone...you need quality shocks to match

Stig
22-07-2010, 10:05 PM
even with 800$ you would not be getting quality coils overs, even 2nd hand quality coilovers would not go for $800

ive lowered my car on eibach springs and they were alright, reduced body roll, didnt like the uneven drop so went coils after that

ekay1
22-07-2010, 10:06 PM
hows the 3 point strut bar? Much different in handling?? What are shocks? and how are kings springs? So i could get second hand coilovers for around 800? thanks!!

FDBenni
22-07-2010, 10:06 PM
If you are going for the looks springs will do, but handling wise won't do much, maybe improve a little due to lower centre of gravity. Also suggest buying shocks for your springs otherwise you're going to reduce the life of your stock shocks.

xenonkuraz
22-07-2010, 10:13 PM
^ shocks = shock absorbers/struts (what your springs are mounted on)

I've seen some second hand buddyclubs go for around $800-$1000

as suspension is pretty important I wouldn't skimp on price, if you can't afford it now save up and buy it later.

ekay1
22-07-2010, 10:14 PM
So in order to improve handling, springs + shocks are necessary? What are some decent shocks to go with some springs? Im interested in handling rather than looks, i just want to make my care have optimum handling as possible. Coilovers are a bit out of my budget and is difficult to find decent second hand ones so im going with the springs and shocks. Thanks

ekay1
22-07-2010, 10:20 PM

as suspension is pretty important I wouldn't skimp on price, if you can't afford it now save up and buy it later.

So does that mean that the coilover is sort of like springs + shocks put together into one? And a normal car has springs and shocks separated?

FDBenni
22-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Not many people here are doing the spring+shock combo but I think the koni yellows + eibach pro kit works alright from opinions. The cost of spring+shock is pretty close to the price of decent coilovers, which is why most people go for coils since everything is adjustable, can be used on the street and for track.

evil_1998
22-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Sorry for asking so many questons, but what dont swaybars do a similar job to the strut bars?

From eHow (http://www.ehow.com/facts_5850187_rear-vs-rear-sway-bar.html). Pics from Ultraracing (http://www.ultraracingaustralia.com/page2.htm)

"A rear strut bar and a rear sway sound similar and in some ways look similar. Although they can both positively affect a vehicle's handling, they fulfill entirely different roles.

Sway Bar Description
A rear sway bar, more correctly referred to as an anti-roll bar, is a thin length of metal (anywhere from 12 mm or less to 30 mm or more in diameter) that is bolted to and connects the left and right side of a vehicle's rear suspension. A rear sway bar is usually combined with a front sway bar.

Sway Bar Purpose
The purpose of a sway bar is to reduce the amount of body roll that a car experiences during cornering. As the cars rolls, the suspension on the inboard side is forced down towards the ground because it is connected with a solid piece of metal (the sway bar) to the side of the suspension towards the outside of the turn.

Benefits
A sway bar increases a vehicle's grip by forcing the inside tires to stay on the ground. Sway bars can also make a vehicle more nimble by reducing the excess body roll that occurs during cornering and can help balance out handling.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/pyro_524/strut-bar-corner-before.gif http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/pyro_524/anti-roll-bar-after.gif

Strut Bar Description
A rear strut bar (or strut brace) is a piece of metal that is bolted to the tops of the strut towers.

Strut Bar Purpose
The purpose of a strut brace is to reduce the amount of flex that the chassis experiences during cornering by bracing the tops of the struts and the strut towers against each other.

Benefits
A strut brace results in a more rigid chassis with less flexing and twisting, which translates to a more confidence-inspiring driving experience. A rigid chassis is more responsive, whereas excess movement and flexing can make a vehicle feel loose."

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/pyro_524/anti-roll-bar-before.gif http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/pyro_524/strut-bar-corner-after.gif

ekay1
22-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Are many secondhand coilovers available for the FD1?

ekay1
22-07-2010, 10:26 PM
From eHow (http://www.ehow.com/facts_5850187_rear-vs-rear-sway-bar.html)

"A rear strut bar and a rear sway sound similar and in some ways look similar. Although they can both positively affect a vehicle's handling, they fulfill entirely different roles.

Sway Bar Description
A rear sway bar, more correctly referred to as an anti-roll bar, is a thin length of metal (anywhere from 12 mm or less to 30 mm or more in diameter) that is bolted to and connects the left and right side of a vehicle's rear suspension. A rear sway bar is usually combined with a front sway bar.

Sway Bar Purpose
The purpose of a sway bar is to reduce the amount of body roll that a car experiences during cornering. As the cars rolls, the suspension on the inboard side is forced down towards the ground because it is connected with a solid piece of metal (the sway bar) to the side of the suspension towards the outside of the turn.

Benefits
A sway bar increases a vehicle's grip by forcing the inside tires to stay on the ground. Sway bars can also make a vehicle more nimble by reducing the excess body roll that occurs during cornering and can help balance out handling.

Strut Bar Description
A rear strut bar (or strut brace) is a piece of metal that is bolted to the tops of the strut towers.

Strut Bar Purpose
The purpose of a strut brace is to reduce the amount of flex that the chassis experiences during cornering by bracing the tops of the struts and the strut towers against each other.

Benefits
A strut brace results in a more rigid chassis with less flexing and twisting, which translates to a more confidence-inspiring driving experience. A rigid chassis is more responsive, whereas excess movement and flexing can make a vehicle feel loose."

Thanks a ton!!!!! :)

Stig
23-07-2010, 01:09 AM

for the fd civics? its pretty rare for someone to sell one for the fd at that price though...

So does that mean that the coilover is sort of like springs + shocks put together into one? And a normal car has springs and shocks separated?

if you put it that way i sorta guess so lol