PDA

View Full Version : Showa Coilovers for s2000

VeYzZii
23-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Bought a set of SHOWA coilovers with Spoon springs off the net. When received and installed realised that they where making a clanging sound. Have no idea what it is. But i did swap the coilovers (from rear driver side to rear passanger) and the sound moved with the coilover. So im pretty sure its the coilover, and then the front passenger side started making same noise. Talked to pedders and all, and they diagnosed it as internal shock damage without even looking at it, and they cant do anything about it. What should i do..? I have options, try and return them, which will probably fail, spend money to repair them, or try to sell them elsewhere..?

dciisir
24-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I am assuming they are 2nd hand when you bought them. I think there are some places that repair suspension for around $100 each. This is generally re-conditioning them when they leak so I do not know if yours can be done but no harm asking. There is a shop on Mt Alexander rd Flemington that does suspension repairs but I forgot the name. It is opposite the new apartments near the entrace to the freeway.

If you bought off Ebay, I think they have some sort of buyer's protection that pays you up to X amount of dollars so thats another avenue.

Btw, the standard shocks on my sti was making clunking noises as well, not loud but very noticeable on bumpy roads and it came from the rear shocks as well. That was repairable and they even had a DIY for it.

vyets
24-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Daym they went for cheap az off ebay I wanted to buy them.
They are actually SPOON coilovers, which are made by showa. It's the generation one spoon coilovers, they used the stock s2000 strut casing so it looks exactly like stock but performs a shitload better, along with height adjust ability.
Who did the install for you? and is everything on tightly. Did you clean up the coilovers and everything before install, caus I remember there being rust on the springs.

Maybe bring it too a place better then pedders, because they're useless. It sounds like you coilovers are knocking but of corse it's hard to tell when your not here.

Also they were that cheap that I don't think its worth it to repair them, because most likely anyone overhere who can repair them won't be able to match it to the standard specs.

VeYzZii
24-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Yea dude, yea went for dirt cheap, hence the reason i bidded.. Lol i actually emailed him before the end and said ill give him 300, he said no, but worked out better for me.. Haha. I installed them myself at my old mans workshop. Everything is on tight, rattle gunned down and then torque wrenched to make sure. Yea i went to 2 different pedders and they where both flops..

I sand blasted the springs and painted over them, not 2-pac paint just anti rust, then over them with black. The dampers where starting to rust abit to, so i sanded over them to make them smooth again..

To be honest, i rather repair them for a small amount then take them off, then to lower the stock springs. Cause these are adjustable wont be as bad with the cops and all, plus the JDM spec of it will make me feel better.. lol.
I just cant find anybody around sydney that would go near them..

vyets
24-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I know fulcrum do tein maybe try them, I'm guessing your from sydney.

Showa are one of the best shocks you can buy for your car. Our standard shocks are made by showa, they teamed up with spoon and made these coilovers that you have. When they first came out they were worth well over $2000 and they are some of the best performing coilovers avilable. IF you want them rebuilt to the best quality it's best to send it back to Showa/Spoon no idea if they actually would though. Or you can get the standard rebuild to aussie standards and stuff if you can find someone to rebuild.

But for $200 bucks I would just chuck them away and put a stamp in the head.. what you pay is what you get.

VeYzZii
24-07-2010, 10:27 PM
but if i could get them fixed for 200 or so.. Wouldnt it be better to keep them..? Like you said there Spoon and all..

eriktufa
24-07-2010, 11:33 PM
$200? you won't fix it with that money. I'd say just get a new shocks

VeYzZii
25-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I think there are some places that repair suspension for around $100 each. This is generally re-conditioning them when they leak so I do not know if yours can be done but no harm asking.

eriktufa.. I dont know the full problem yet.. Maybe its just minor..

foowoei69
26-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Koni had options like race valving and what not. And was supposed to be as good if not better than some coilovers with the right springs. If they could rebuild them with race valves and that. U could probably get a rebuild kit or something for them. especially if they in the 2k+ range. even if it's 500 to rebuild it. Still cheaper and probably better than anything else in that range.

VeYzZii
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
BUMP.. No place wanted to touch them.. So would anybody be interested in buying them??

jrstyles
03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Damn 2 year old post haha but anyway.. YOU HAVE PM!

dlai5552
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
BUMP.. No place wanted to touch them.. So would anybody be interested in buying them??

Just wondering if you tried heasmans?

VeYzZii
03-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Just wondering if you tried heasmans?

No, to be honest i gave up 2 weeks after trying. Ive been hearing so much about Heasmans lately thought. I might give them a call tomorrow. Cheers dude.