PDA

View Full Version : The best se-up for handling

tinymoon
25-07-2010, 03:07 AM
I have done an entire search thru forum and google but could not find what is the best set-up for better handling (not cost me an arm and leg Plz).

Questions:

What is the best set-up for better handling noticeably (daily driving with some hard cornering and fun only)?

Which is the following should i install in order to get a better handling:

Strut bar? Lower arm bar (rear or front?) .....

Thanks a lot

quangsuke
25-07-2010, 03:48 AM
dont bother with strut bars and lower arm bar. they are mild.
to get your best bang for buck for handling, try chase some coilovers. (height and damper)
if they is out of reach, your next best is upgrading your sway bars.

choosing either one of those will show noticeable differences in your handling.
this is for most cars.

seeing that you have a vti-l which im presuming is the fd, prices might be a bit more expensive.

out of those 2, i suggest getting coilovers.
goodluck, let us know what you choose.

riruiz_88
25-07-2010, 10:48 AM
alot of people look over decent tires and bushes. tires do alot of work since its the part that only makes contact with the road. look into some tires that suit your driving ie. occasional tracking, street tire .....

bushes limit the movement in suspension components. this would be a very good mod, but i could cost you alot because of the amount of labour invloved to install bushes. but i would consider starting with tires first then front/rear sway bars

strut bars do work but you wont feel it much on the street. i only felt it when i took fast hard corners.

dougie_504
25-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Agreed with quangsuke.

Coilovers ftw. Then sway bars. Assuming you already have good tyres as mentioned by riruiz

tinymoon
25-07-2010, 07:55 PM
More clear info: My one is Honda Civic FD1 and just other stupid questions:
What type of coilover that i should go after?
Do i have to customize the spring as well?
I google around there are quite a number of coilover type, which is full theard, short .... What should i choose.
Which is the most common and best tyre and trim set up? 17" or 18" for FD1?

Thanks a ton, mate

SiReal
25-07-2010, 07:59 PM
could fd2r oem suspension be used as a direct replacement? (and hopefully lower cost than coilovers)

curtis265
25-07-2010, 09:21 PM
That would be a good idea, i heard that FD2R is VERY hard compared to stock, and even harder still than some aftermarket options.

I don't know about the cost though - don't know where to source them... and u might need to ship it from japan

yellows2k
25-07-2010, 09:27 PM
adding my opinion, if u cant afford coilovers, then a nice spring and shock combo will improve handling for daily driving. something like eibach and konis is a good pairing. coupled with nice high end performance tyres, it will enable u to push the car harder towards its limits
strut bars will do NOTHING for u right now, sway bars will be the next step after springs and shocks

xenonkuraz
25-07-2010, 09:29 PM
coilovers for daily driving isn't that comfortable imo

yellows2k
25-07-2010, 09:31 PM
in what car? i had cusco zero 2 in my evo9, perfect, as good as stock if not softer, and had real time electronic settings incar.
ive got tein superstreets in my eg5 now, set it up on the dials, and its great, not uncomfortable.
no idea what ur talking about

curtis265
25-07-2010, 09:32 PM
If you have the adjustable coilys, and set the right, the're plenty comfortable.

In fact, i find that if u reduce body roll, it's far more comfortable

Cooker
25-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Tein Super Street Coilovers

tinymoon
26-07-2010, 04:20 AM
I will dig some informations about fd2r oem suspension to be fitted on FD1.
I dont think that OEM Honda will be cheaper aftermarket (same quality).
Anyone here know about PEDDERS products? http://www.pedders.com.au/

chauster
28-07-2010, 09:09 PM
pedders are horrible.

Best i think is it get sway, new tires and springs and shocks.

Bilstens, Eibach, Konis. Tires... Kumho ku36?

Stig
29-07-2010, 07:01 PM
get some coils, get some sport rims with some 215/45/17 rubber on them and youre good to go

Chuckz
29-07-2010, 10:16 PM
tyres and coilovers are enough imo

TheSaint
30-07-2010, 01:47 AM
i dont know if this info helps ... but i wanted the same thing for my EG sedan

Spec:
- Tein S-Tech Springs (there is a more comfortable version as well)
- Skunk2 Sport Shocks (koni probably offer a less aggressive shock but i find these perfect)
- Skunk2 Rear Lower Tie Brace
- Ultra Racing 4pnt Rear Strut Brace
- Ultra Racing 2pnt Front Strut Brace
- Ultra Racing 2pnt Front Lower Brace
- Ultra Racing Adjustable Floor/Room Brace
- VTI 14mm Rear Sway Bar
- Stock front sway bar
- Stock 15" 'fat five' Integra VTIR Wheels
- Bridgestone Adrenaline Tyres

the car handles so smooth and flat without being too bumpy or harsh ... the shocks may be a little stiff for you but i like them that way
no where near the harsh stiffness of say Tein Flex ... but i get a similar result from them
the expensive Pedders coilovers are good ... but for that money you would want to start looking at Tein or even DMS suspension

my suggestion would be to start with tyres - either some quality bridgestones or yokohamas - than move on to spring + shock combos or coilovers
strut braces are more icing on the cake than anything
whiteline swaybars will dramatically help as well ... but dont smash on a massive adjustable rear sway on the hardest setting or you will loose ur tail in the wet lol

hope the info helps =)

javer81
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
buddyclub n+ good for street too. it depends on how much you are willing to spend. youtube on cusco strut bars you will know how it works.
i personally think having a good set of coils, f&r strut bars, f&r sway bars to form a rectangle is a basic setup for handling. you will feel the difference if you take a bend or cornering.

Cheers
Aaron

tinymoon
08-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks a lot for all the advices and recomendations, i am looking at coilover and sport shocks, just started saving for now, gonna work on it in next 3 months.