PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic 1.6 VTI Sedan Tune Up question - Noob

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi All,

I'm just a noob here and in engine. I have a Honda civic 1.6 VTI Sedan - Automatic Gearbox. Recently I've changed my muffler to become magna flow and the sounds is nice. Reason I picked magnaflow is because my muffler is broken and to change to original honda muffler is expensive therefore my mechanic offered me 2nd hand magnaflow which is cheaper. I would like to get more pushback from the engine at the moment only the sounds that is loud but no acceleration at all/no power. Could you please advise me what simple modification that I can do to get more acceleration/power? I'm not really into swapping the engine etc and at the same time i realize that my car is an Auto :( and only 1.6.

Cheers

Tai
26-07-2010, 02:54 PM
You do know having an exhaust sounds gay with Auto.

People will laugh at you if you floor it in front of them

but if you really want to add more power it all depends on your budget.

Go turbo if you dont want to swap engines.

If not get a CAI intake, Strip the car to the max to save weight.

Get lighter wheels, take out A/C and PS to save more weight.

Get Aftermarket Headers and exhaust ( more weight saving )

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 02:57 PM
yes i do understand that. but it's just because it's the cheapest option at that time. I don't mind to change it to normal again but to buy an original exhaust it will cost me ~200 i guess. Is there anything that can be added to the engine naturally?e.g changing the air filter?installing vafc?

Tai
26-07-2010, 03:04 PM
You can do alot to your car, question is, what is your budget?

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 03:09 PM
around 2k?i'm not expecting my car to be superfast!! but at least faster than the standard one. I'm looking forward for ur feedback :)

Tai
26-07-2010, 03:23 PM
You could do the following :

Injen or AEM Cold Air intake: 300-500
Xforce exhaust headers : $400
Exedy clutch and flywheel 1-1200

jdm_b16a
26-07-2010, 04:07 PM
You could do the following :

Injen or AEM Cold Air intake: 300-500
Xforce exhaust headers : $400
Exedy clutch and flywheel 1-1200

x2 :thumbsup:

Peter

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 04:09 PM
where can i find the injen or aem cold air intake?any recommendation where to buy it from?Do you think if i install unichip will make any different for an auto car?

Tai
26-07-2010, 04:17 PM
I would recommend you spend it on other things before a modified ecu.

Like suspension and lighter wheels+tyres.

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 04:22 PM
@Tai
point taken :), so do you have any recommendation where to buy CAI from?Suspension?will it make any difference?If I change the suspension then does it mean that i need to change the spring as well?What suspension that you can recommend me?For wheel i'm planning to buy Lenso Project D 15"

dougie_504
26-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I recommend building your own CAI with a short ram intake and some extra piping/clamps from Super Cheap Auto/Repco etc. You can get a 3A Racing pod filter for about $30-40 delivered. Big-name brands aren't worth it, especially if you're using a D-series engine IMO. This will cost you about $200-250.

Alternatively you can purchase a K&N performance panel filter to put into your stock air box and then purchase some plumbing flex-pipe to connect to the bottom of your air box and run to the front bumper - cut a hole in your black plastic grill and mount the pipe to it facing frontwards for motion-aided induction. This will cost you less than $100.

For the header I would use N*Power from ebay. They're a decent quality header according to feedback from members who have used them and for around $200 they're also a bargain. The stock D-series header flow-rate is terrible so this will be quite an improvement and the weight loss is another bonus.

Then you'll have more money left over (like $1,500 minimum) so you can afford a custom-made exhaust. Depending on the steel quality (mild steel or stainless steel) and fabrication method (press-bent or mandrel-bent) this will cost you $240-$480 I think. Add another $150 for a high-flow catalytic converter and you already have a muffler. Total about $400-650.

Exedy HD clutch can be bought for $450 or so I believe, have never looked into the flywheel though.

mugen_ctr
26-07-2010, 07:02 PM
bit harsh man, lol, auto with zorst.....nothing wrong with that..., shouldnt matter what others think, its ur own personal taste imho
Forget engine mods, go for suspension mods, tires, brakes etc.. everything to make the car go quicker around corners.... theres not much point in tryn make a slow car, to go that slighty bit more faster in straight line, lol, no offence dude

dougie_504
26-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Where do you live mate? You in Melb?

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I recommend building your own CAI with a short ram intake and some extra piping/clamps from Super Cheap Auto/Repco etc. You can get a 3A Racing pod filter for about $30-40 delivered. Big-name brands aren't worth it, especially if you're using a D-series engine IMO. This will cost you about $200-250.

Alternatively you can purchase a K&N performance panel filter to put into your stock air box and then purchase some plumbing flex-pipe to connect to the bottom of your air box and run to the front bumper - cut a hole in your black plastic grill and mount the pipe to it facing frontwards for motion-aided induction. This will cost you less than $100.

For the header I would use N*Power from ebay. They're a decent quality header according to feedback from members who have used them and for around $200 they're also a bargain. The stock D-series header flow-rate is terrible so this will be quite an improvement and the weight loss is another bonus.

Then you'll have more money left over (like $1,500 minimum) so you can afford a custom-made exhaust. Depending on the steel quality (mild steel or stainless steel) and fabrication method (press-bent or mandrel-bent) this will cost you $240-$480 I think. Add another $150 for a high-flow catalytic converter and you already have a muffler. Total about $400-650.

Exedy HD clutch can be bought for $450 or so I believe, have never looked into the flywheel though.

WOOOW thanks for your response. now i'm looking at the npower header, is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CIVIC-EG-EK-CRX-1-6-D15-D16-STAINLESS-EXHAUST-HEADER-/160372782714?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2556f6767a Can i assume that this will improve the pushback of my car?at least to improve my acceleration a little bit. How the flywheel makes difference in an automatic car?For the CAI, I think I'll probably go to autobarn to do it for me :( anyone has any experience with them?

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 07:28 PM
bit harsh man, lol, auto with zorst.....nothing wrong with that..., shouldnt matter what others think, its ur own personal taste imho
Forget engine mods, go for suspension mods, tires, brakes etc.. everything to make the car go quicker around corners.... theres not much point in tryn make a slow car, to go that slighty bit more faster in straight line, lol, no offence dude

Suspension?any idea what suspension that should i buy?should i change the spring as well?how bout tires and brakes what will be the recommendation?

fransiscus_aji
26-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Where do you live mate? You in Melb?

I'm located in Sydney

dougie_504
26-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Yes those are the headers. TheSaint (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?10220-TheSaint) is using them and is quite happy as far as I know. For $120 you can't go wrong, seriously.

You'll need header, high-flow catalytic converter and cat-back pipe (attached to your muffler) to feel any benefit in power as they depend on one another. 2" is the optimal diameter of an exhaust (all components except muffler) for a D-series non-turbo motor.

For the CAI you'll need to remove your resonator (box below the air box) which makes your standard intake quiet/restricted/heavier. There should be a DIY article here that you can search for using the search engine.

As for making the CAI itself, I don't think Autobahn does it for you. It's not too difficult though - once the resonator is remove you can just use aluminium pipe and silicone pipe joiners to extend the pipe into the cavity of your front bumper where the resonator previously was, then put the pod filter on in that space. Like my DIY one below. Only cost me $175.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/Cars%20Other/21102009046.jpg

mugen_ctr
26-07-2010, 10:09 PM
suspension wise, it depends on your budget, well pretty much modifying your car does, lol.....the way i see it, improve on your driving 1st, master the basic driving, and work from there what u need to improve on..... if ur finding the car has lots of body roll, than sway bars should be the 1st mods....than after that, change the other necessity to again improve on your driving experience... its one thing to have a fast car, another to learn and drive it like its meant to.... As far as braking goes, get fresh new pads, and you should b ok...some good branded pads should be all good....
dont go out and buy stuff without researching btw.... it pays to learn stuff about ur car and how it can change the characteristic of the car

TODA AU
27-07-2010, 06:35 AM
:wave:Hi, I'm the party pooper...
So far, you've recived pretty bad advice...
Find a 2nd hand OEM muffler, put it back on & throw the Magnaflow in the bin.
No sence driving someing that is slow & loud.
& when it comes time to sell the thing, it's still worth a little bin of coin.

Now, though you probably don't want to hear it, the best advice you'll get is to keep your $2k & save up for a faster car.
Seriously, don't piss around & waste your money trying to polish the D-series turd under your bonnet. It will only end badly.
Sure, there are some clowns on here that will bang the D-series drum & tell you it's a great idea.
Wrong! Fact is regardless of what you do, after wasting your time & money you will gain next to nothing in performance. Intake, header, exhaust, street cams + tune included. WOFTAM.
Even in turbocharged form, these engines are bordering on pathetic for their output.
Do yourself a favour, leave well enough alone & put your $2k towards that faster car.
If you had a manual I'd say do an engine swap, but you have an auto. Just leave it.

dougie_504 - Flywheel & clutch for an auto... Really?:p

EK1.6LCIV
27-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I'd make it handle if anything, otherwise for more power in an auto d16 there's not alot that won't cost the world you can do to it

fransiscus_aji
27-07-2010, 07:31 AM

Now, though you probably don't want to hear it, the best advice you'll get is to keep your $2k & save up for a faster car.
Seriously, don't piss around & waste your money trying to polish the D-series turd under your bonnet. It will only end badly.
Sure, there are some clowns on here that will bang the D-series drum & tell you it's a great idea.
Wrong! Fact is regardless of what you do, after wasting your time & money you will gain next to nothing in performance. Intake, header, exhaust, street cams + tune included. WOFTAM.
Even in turbocharged form, these engines are bordering on pathetic for their output.
Do yourself a favour, leave well enough alone & put your $2k towards that faster car.
If you had a manual I'd say do an engine swap, but you have an auto. Just leave it.

Thank you for your advice!!! really truthful :) AND THANK YOU for everyone else that gave their opinion, I'd really appreciate it

one last question that I have
Honda accord euro 2007 vs Subaru Liberty GT 2007 which one will you take?I would rather to have a stock engine and expecting performance from the engine itself. I heard subaru has better handling because of the AWD. How bout in the terms of maintainance cost?

Cheers

EK1.6LCIV
27-07-2010, 07:33 AM
accord is cheaper to run, insure, fuel, more spacious

dougie_504
28-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Read properly. I didn't suggest the fly and clutch originally.

My main point was to stick to cheap parts because it's a D-series IE. DIY CAI instead of branded, ebay header, custom mild steel/press bent exhaust. Some people enjoy modding their car, be it a D, B, H or K. That's their decision. I get tired of telling people to change to a B when they don't want one but just want to have some fun doing mods, so I tell them to do it cheaply.

nickk
29-07-2010, 12:15 AM

Handling mods ftw...

Other than that, focus on existing issues and spend your money on them. (e.g. A service with good quality cosumables, fix leaks, old bushes and worn suspension.)
Best to maximize reliability before undertaking modifications when on a budget. That's what I like to do anyway...