PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE VIDEO!! Turbo'n the D16Y4, what is needed for the setup.

StrawberryFace
26-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey guy's after speaking too alot of the member here about working the d16y4 engine it is pointless in doing because not much too do lol so im gonna turbo it. But just wanted to know what is everything i need because i wanna buy everything individually to save some money. Thanks guy's :thumbsup:

mugen_ctr
26-07-2010, 06:51 PM
nothing much, lol, its pointless to mod one, unless you turbo charge it, otherwise, just leave it how it is.... the same with all the d-series motor
If ur a a die hard D-series freak, look at bisimoto, they should have most stuff to give the engine a bit more go... although there a USA based tuner

duzy
26-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Anything can be done really. Just comes down to what you want and how much ur willing to spend

Basics are I/H/E along with an ecu tune and maybe throw in a cam gear. Good if you want to keep it n/a

turbo would be the best option here. easy 100+kw on 6-7+ psi spending about 2k+ for a decent turbo setup

TheSaint
27-07-2010, 09:13 AM
non vtec cam setup =D

- I/H/E
- Bisimoto Stage2 Non-Vtec Cam
- Apexi SAFCII
= win?

VTECnique
29-07-2010, 05:22 PM
non vtec cam setup =D

- I/H/E
- Bisimoto Stage2 Non-Vtec Cam
- Apexi SAFCII
= win?

what he said & maybe shave the head or a thinner head gasket to up compression a slight bit. Bisimoto is the best for D16 parts.

IMO, turbo @ 6-8psi would be alot better bang for buck....

StrawberryFace
01-08-2010, 01:04 AM
bumppin you

sw1fty
01-08-2010, 11:03 AM
search... im sure its been discussed before

Mikecivic78
01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
To my knowledge you need the following:

-Turbo Kit ( I won't go into the details.)
-Larger exhaust.
-udgraded internals (Optional - for reliability if you want to run high boost pressure)
-ECU and tune.
-Engineer's certificate ($800!)
-Brake upgrade (engineer will insist)

I've looked into it myself for my EM1, and decided against it due to cost. You're looking at $5-6K easily.

For that cash you can sell ur EK1 and get a decent VTi-R.

mugen_ctr
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
If its a daily an just a run about, i say do it... jus cause itd be fun to do, an in the end, make for a fun car to drive, who says u need power massive amounts of power to have a fun car
It all comes down to budget in the end, and what u want

quangsuke
01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
To answer OP's question.

This is exactly what you need if your going to source the parts one by one.
Turbo
Intercooler
Injectors
Exhaust Manifold
Downpipe
Bigger Exhaust (Optional)
Fuel Pump
ECU
Turbo Timer (Optional)
Boost Controller (Optional)

Then your boosted =D

Killa From Manila
01-08-2010, 01:51 PM
+ oil lines, water lines, vacuum lines, intercooler piping, dont waste ur time with stock cat and exhaust, and much more than "2k for a decent turbo setup"

quangsuke
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
+ oil lines, water lines, vacuum lines, intercooler piping, dont waste ur time with stock cat and exhaust, and much more than "2k for a decent turbo setup"

I knew I forgot something

Mikecivic78
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Agreed. Stock exhaust, especially on the D16y4, is way too restrictive for a turbo setup.

"2k for a decent setup"- obviously some searching needs to be done on the topic Duzy.

Like I said $5k... if you are extremely frugal. Also, insurance + engineering cost should be factored in which most people forget to think about. Unless you want an illegal uninsured car, which I highly discourage.

StrawberryFace
02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks guy's for all the feedback. There are kit's im looking at now there's 1 from Greddy that looks good soo will keep you guy's posted!. Im not going for massive power gains just something fun too drive daily but has a little bit of power when i put my foot down because at the moment its gutless.

dougie_504
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Do you have a budget? You'll probably spend closer to $10g then $5g by the time you're done (full setup, installation, ecu & tune, brakes, engineering, INSURANCE PREMIUM INCREASE).

The main question is, for the same budget is it possible to do a B-swap and build it? My friend has an Audi Quattro turbo and his insurance is $4g/year and he's 25 years old :(

StrawberryFace
02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Do you have a budget? You'll probably spend closer to $10g then $5g by the time you're done (full setup, installation, ecu & tune, brakes, engineering, INSURANCE PREMIUM INCREASE).

The main question is, for the same budget is it possible to do a B-swap and build it? My friend has an Audi Quattro turbo and his insurance is $4g/year and he's 25 years old :(

yeh i understand what your saying man and yeh my budget is like 3k, my brother is a mechanic soo we installing it man but i dunno dont want a bseries for some reason rather do something different then doo what everyone else does man( not that its wrong!). wanna strip the interior, sway bars ect. Have some fun with it rather than keep it N/A.

StrawberryFace
02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVgxtqnv03o

ebay turbo kit. what i want :)

mugen_ctr
02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
hit an miss with ebay kits, an also, but id say its more to do so with the tune of the setup how long untill your motor throws a rod.... dont cheap out on the tune or ecu, very important to get this step right, or else expect a full rebuild

StrawberryFace
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
LOL yeh i know bud, still researching the greddy kit juss wanted too post up the ebay kit for a larf.

Mikecivic78
03-08-2010, 06:38 PM
LOL yeh i know bud, still researching the greddy kit juss wanted too post up the ebay kit for a larf.

Your'e talking about a kit now. Didn't you say you wanted to source it piece by piece in your OP?

EK1.6LCIV
03-08-2010, 06:58 PM
I love that video :)

would love to own his lil car

dougie_504
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
If you know what to look for in a turbo (structure, shaft size etc) you can get a good deal, no worries. Either that or buy the kit and replace the shit components with good ones - you'll save money.

StrawberryFace
03-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Your'e talking about a kit now. Didn't you say you wanted to source it piece by piece in your OP?

yeh i did, looking at the kit too see what everything is and does, still trying too figure alot of stuff out soo alot of reading is being done because dont wanna buy useless shit that isnt good and is a waste of money. but cant wait too start the build very excited.

mugen_ctr
03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Go for a Kit if your wanting a simple build, but if after anything particular, go source your own kit.... slap a Greddy TD06-25g and see from there, lol, always wanted to see the bigger turbos slapped on hondas, its always the plain garrets put on

In terms of lookin at turbos, you should be looking at the flow map, which would tell you when its peak efficiency is made, at what boost etc etc... The differance b/w ebay and say Garrett... Garrett will last 200,000kms+ and the other will fail eventually, with drastic affects