PDA

View Full Version : Ed6 Gearbox

JDM91
27-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey guys
i have a problem with my gearbox in my 1991 ED6 it crunches while driving at higher rpms so i have to change slowly or double clutch to prevent it...the gearbox oil hasnt been changed in atleast 2 years...im thinking of changing that but people are telling me that if i replace my gearbox oil i could wreck my car.. and also am told that u dont need to change the gearbox oil....personally i dont know how that works but i dont believe it, help would be much appreciated.!

mocchi
27-07-2010, 12:26 PM
never again speak to whoever told you that gearbox oil dont need to be changed! lol
change the oil and see how you go.

you need a funnel, long hose and 17 or 19mm socket for your fill hole bolt.
oh and a 3/8" or a 1/2" drive rachet/breaker bar i cant remember to open the drain bolt.

markismaximus
27-07-2010, 12:57 PM
pretty sure its a 3/8" for drainage bolt removal

JDM91
27-07-2010, 07:13 PM
thanks for that guys when i do my oil change i can see where the gearbox oil is located might have a problem getting it undun but ill see how i go...thanks again, can sumone tell me the advantages of changing my oil will it do much could it be my synchros? everybody says that but im not sure

~Sp33~
27-07-2010, 07:35 PM
The advantages of changing your oil?

http://wiki.outlawstar.net/images/KyonFacepalm.jpg

Over time oil breaks down and stops lubricating like it should. Plus, metal filings that grind off while you're crunching gears at high rpm have to go somewhere. So imagine all these filings and old oily goo floating around in your transmission. The advantage of changing your oil is to better lubricate the moving parts to prevent them from crunching and wearing excessively.

JDM91
27-07-2010, 07:41 PM
See i thought the exact same thing but, people and mec hanics tellin me i can do more harm then good if i change my gearbox oil so should i replace it or just top it up...

~Sp33~
27-07-2010, 07:53 PM
See i thought the exact same thing but, people and mec hanics tellin me i can do more harm then good if i change my gearbox oil so should i replace it or just top it up...

Maybe they meant if YOU change the oil. Implying that if anyone else were to do it, it would be fine.

You can change the gearbox oil until the cows come home, it's not going to ruin anything.

JDM91
27-07-2010, 07:57 PM
no i was told if anyone is to change it it can cause harm because that oil is already lubricating the gears, they said if i drain it and put new oil in then it will crunch the gears.. worse because it has to get used to the oil again off the topic for a second if u know anything about the dual carbys the hose that connects to the exhaust shield on the left hand side and goes back into the carbys intake i need to know what its called mines broken and i think it needs fixing

~Sp33~
27-07-2010, 08:03 PM
no i was told if anyone is to change it it can cause harm because that oil is already lubricating the gears, they said if i drain it and put new oil in then it will crunch the gears.. worse because it has to get used to the oil again

I wouldn't listen to these people, that's rediculous.

off the topic for a second if u know anything about the dual carbys the hose that connects to the exhaust shield on the left hand side and goes back into the carbys intake i need to know what its called mines broken and i think it needs fixing

The hose just draws air off of the exhaust manifold and feeds it into the intake to heat up the engine quicker in the mornings. There's a flap that prevents air coming through there once the car has heated up. You could get rid of it if you want, it doesn't really do anything.

JDM91
27-07-2010, 08:13 PM
thanks for your help much appreciate it. and if u know any sites or links so i can see more info about my engine and what everything is made to do id apprecaite the help thanks.

~Sp33~
28-07-2010, 02:08 PM
honda-tech.com has a lot of tech topics covered, once work out the best ways to use the search function.

Most sites aren't going to have much information on the carbs though.