PDA

View Full Version : Vicroads RWC - What mods are legal?

keyo
28-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I've recently purchased a Prelude VTiR.
It was a quick sale as he left the country and now I'm left to get the RWC sorted.

The previous owner has done the following to it:
- AEM V2 Air intake. He included the stock air intake also. From the wording in the rules it appears that the intake is fine since the vehicle was never manufactured to meet emissions in the first place being 1994. Apparently air intakes need the be stock though? This intake passes all the californian emissions laws so I don't see what the fuss is about.
- Airflow control computer. Not sure what the model is. Apparently they are not legal but I can just hide it behind the centre console.
- Exhaust headers (4-2-1) xforce.
- Cat back exhaust. Not sure what brand. Dual pipe, diameter is maybe 2 or 2.5". The RWC rules say "effectively silenced" or something vague like that. At idle it's pretty quiet. At 3500-4000 rpm it resonates into a rattling sound. I guess it isn't "effectively silenced" at 8000 rpm :p
-Edit also white HID headlights

Any recommendations where to get a RWC in melbourne? I don't want to be sold any repairs I don't need. What is the average price for one?

This is my first car in aus and I have to say the once off RWC seems pretty stupid when there are a lot of cars on the road with only one light working. RWC should really be repeated yearly with a smaller rego fee.

mocchi
28-07-2010, 12:11 AM
what mods are legal?
none. replace everything with oem parts and go get quotes from places.

adcpat
28-07-2010, 04:54 PM
lol mocchi is on the money especially the cold air and the HIDS they had a massive crack down on the east side of melbourne and oh and check if you have an illegal tint they have been cracking down on those as well

Giraffe
28-07-2010, 04:55 PM
well you can get try to get rwc, but depending on the place, they'll tell you to remove it/replace it. they generally give you a week to fix it, then you can get it roadworthy.
best bet, ask a mechanic that does roadworthy first.

xenonkuraz
28-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Most RWC testers won't even notice those mods. Look to pay around $90 for the certificate alone. Which suburb are you from? I can recommend a few places

dougie_504
28-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Some modifications are legal (IE exhaust). Most are fine provided your car stays within ADR and EPA limits. Just make sure it's not way too loud and isn't dodgy.

If all of our mods are illegal why isn't everybody with an aftermarket exhaust fined?

keyo
28-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm in Malvern so anywhere in the east would be fine.

I asked the K-Mart tyres guys at chaddy while I was at the supermarket. They said the exhaust may or may not be road worthy depending on loudness. Air filter needs to be switched back to stock.

dougie_504
29-07-2010, 12:35 AM
If your air filter is oil based (most pods are and AEM certainly are) then it needs to be enclosed or else it's a fire hazard. Intake must be firmly secure also.

Paper-based pods are fine exposed.

keyo
29-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Most RWC testers won't even notice those mods.
Are you sure? I think they would notice the exhaust.

xenonkuraz
29-07-2010, 09:34 PM
^ paper-based pods are NOT fine exposed, just cover it up

and yes they will notice the exhaust but if it is not overly loud, they will ignore it (unless its rusted)

dougie_504
30-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I believe they are fine, however I recommend people cover them for performance either way. Not to mention the vast majority of modern pods are oil anyhow.

keyo
30-07-2010, 11:50 PM
How much would I be looking at for a quieter exhaust. Since I don't like this loud one anyway. Hopefully it wouldn't take away too much power. Also, would the upgraded exhaust headers be pointless with a stock exhaust?

dougie_504
31-07-2010, 12:37 AM
How much would I be looking at for a quieter exhaust. Since I don't like this loud one anyway. Hopefully it wouldn't take away too much power. Also, would the upgraded exhaust headers be pointless with a stock exhaust?

You can get a resonator installed onto your current one to make it quieter, probably $200+ but I don't know?

Upgraded header won't do anything except look nice unless you have the cat and cat-back because the flow will get restricted again.

xenonkuraz
31-07-2010, 10:21 PM
you could get a bottle type resonator installed for around $100, straight through design so no decrease in performance but it will reduce the volume