PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Need Mobile Thread Repairer in Melbourne for stripped threads on gbox!!!

euromandeluxe
28-07-2010, 12:35 AM
EDIT: Can anyone can give me the details of a mobile thread repairer in Melb (aside from Thread Doctor and the one in Eliza)? Urgently needed - THANKS

Was doing my first MTF change on my S2000 tonight; when removing the fill bolt i noted that there was no crush washer in place. :thumbdwn: to whoever did the last MTF change on the car

Went about with the rest of the process as normal, but when replacing the fill bolt (with a crush washer from Honda) initially with fingers, then with a ratchet, I noticed that the bolt wasn't getting any tighter. This is with hardly any torque being applied.

Removed the bolt to take a look and noticed the housing's threads were caught on the bolt's threads. :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

It's at the point where I can tighten the bolt up so that it's too tight to undo with fingers, but the ratchet will get it out with hardly any effort.

What options do I have? Re-tapping? Rubber plug?

Can I still drive the car to get it to a mechanic? Do I need to drain the fluid in case any of the treads found their way into the box? The casing is only alloy though (thankfully not steel), so I can't foresee the threads causing much damage in the short term..

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
29-07-2010, 09:41 AM
you need to get the thread repaired,

either cut a nre bigger thread and find a plug bolt to suit or get a helicoil put it to then fit the original plug bolt.

I wouldnt drive the car with out a decent seal for the filler hole.

also without knowing how much crap you got into the trans, you would be best draining the oil, straining it and putting it back in to catch any swarf

euromandeluxe
29-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the reply ECU-MAN.

Anyone know a mobile thread repairer in Melb (aside from Thread Doctor and the one in Eliza)?

THANKS.

euromandeluxe
30-07-2010, 01:54 PM
bump, noone at all??