PDA

View Full Version : how to get old flaking tint off...

jusybabe
28-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi guys,

Anyone know how to get old tint off?
I just got an eg civic and the rear window has some tint still stuck and i'm not sure how to get it off without a blade..I don't want to ruin the demister....
Its pretty yukky looking..want to get it off and then get new tint put on eventually :D

DC2-PWR
28-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Hairy dryer and lots of patients

~Sp33~
28-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Windex and a razor blade is what we use to get rid of it at work.

MR-VTEC
28-07-2010, 04:03 PM
best way is with a steam cleaner. Look it up on google/ youtube. I used this method on some very badly bubbled tint and got the whole car done in under 1 hour. Safe for your rear demister and by far the easiest way for removing tint i have ever used.

DaveXR8
28-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Best to use a steamer or even a hair dryer to get off as much as you can.

Be patient as flakey tint is a bit of a bitch and always wants to break off. Just make sure you heat it up enough to soften up the adhesive.

One you have gotten off as much as possible, use some 00 grade steel wool and soapy water and start scrubbing to get the remaining adhesive off.
This wont cause any damage to the de-misters.

If you are using a heat gun be very careful as they can heat the glass up alot more than what a steamer or hair dryer will and can cause the screen to shatter.

jusybabe
28-07-2010, 05:47 PM
thanks guys..much appreciated =) will start on the wknd..my work has a steamer so will get one of the boys to help me!
also giving the engine bay a good clean cos its filthy!