PDA

View Full Version : Prelude 97-2001 Auto Transmission Issues

RT2000
28-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Hello all

I'm in the process of buying a 98 Prelude VTI-R which is pretty clean except the Stateroads inspector has noticed an an oil leak with the semi autio transmission. He couldn't tell me exactly what the extent of the oil leak was from but said that replacing the transmission would cost around $3,000.

I've called a few Honda mechanics around Melbourne and they've confirmed that this was the going rate and more for brand new ones but it could also be just a minor leak which was only in the $100s for repairs.

I was still interested in still buying the car but wanted to ask the Ozhonda members with late model Preludes what their experiences are with the semi auto transimissions, and whether they've had to fork out much to repair?

Cheers

RT

ECU-MAN
29-07-2010, 09:36 AM
first of all its not a semi auto gearbox. its a full automatic with tiptronic shift.

if the leake is from the drive shaft seals or the selector shaft seals then its an easy fix

if the leak if from the torque converter seal then the cost gets considerably higher

if the leak is from the housing then the cost gets even higher

pretty much have to remove the trans from the car to replace the torque converter seal and then dismantle the trans to replace the case gaskets

dness
29-07-2010, 10:51 AM
It seems to be a known problem among the automatic sports shift preludes made before before 99'. Although not all have issues.
The price for replacing the transmission sounds a bit pricey. I figured it would be more about 2.5k give or take.
Why not look into another prelude?