PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Issues

csbowes
28-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I tried to ask this before, but thought I needed to re-word it more simply.

When your "low fuel" light comes on, which according the manual indicates you reached the 7.9 litre reserve, what does your fuel gauge show?

I have a 1.5 litre VTi and when the light comes on, my fuel gauge is showing very close to empty, but then when I fill it up, I can only put in about 30-32 litres for a 42 litre tank.

Which tells me, my gauge should be showing around 1/4 left, not empty.

I've put this question to my Honda dealer, as I reckon my fuel sensor is crap.

Jazzper
29-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Same behaviour here, for a 1.3 litre. The warning light gives a fill ~31-32 litres. The maximum I have put in is 35 litres. I would love to know how much fuel is accessible from the tank.

csbowes
29-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Same behaviour here, for a 1.3 litre. The warning light gives a fill ~31-32 litres. The maximum I have put in is 35 litres. I would love to know how much fuel is accessible from the tank.

I've been told today by the Service Manager at Formula Honda in Adelaide, that upon contacting Honda nationally, they confirmed that the fuel gauge only shows you how much fuel you have excluding the reserve, so in other words, empty means you're on reserve, so have 8 litres or so left.

To me that's pretty stupid, as it means I have to guess really, how much further I can drive, rather than just making the fuel gauge show empty when it is empty. People will say it is to ensure people don't drive it to dry and possibly damage the engine.

However, I'm a big boy, give me the option, just tell me how much fuel is in the car, don't second guess what you think I want or don't want.

I'm going to write to Honda to get them to confirm in writing that that is how the gauge works.

csbowes
29-07-2010, 08:23 PM
... or better yet, I can accept that the fuel light comes on when you hit reserve, I'll even accept that the fuel gauge shows empty when I hit reserve, but at least have the range calculator show what I can actually drive, rather than just making up a figure that has no resemblance to what I can actually drive.

Jazzper
30-07-2010, 07:24 AM
However, I'm a big boy, give me the option, just tell me how much fuel is in the car, don't second guess what you think I want or don't want.

Totally agree. Same goes for the speedo, why not make it show the actual speed? The digital radio readout is accurate (see other thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?136765-Digital-Speedo-on-the-Radio-(GE-Jazz))).

beetle7072003
27-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi Guys, I bought my Honda jazz 1.5 vti in Jan 2012. just a month ago i filled the tank for $20 and gauge refused to show the correct reading.. i thought it's the fuel station;s bowser issue so made a complaint.. then this happened again.. I'm gonne see the dealer soon. did someone have this issue fixed ?

curtis265
27-04-2012, 04:23 PM
there reserve is there but you shouldn't use it down to the last drop unless you wish to clog up your fuel lines with the crap at the bottom of the tank

do you really think it's wise to tell people 'HEY SHIT FUEL UP NOW' and the run out 10 seconds later?

ericl33
27-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I tried to ask this before, but thought I needed to re-word it more simply.

When your "low fuel" light comes on, which according the manual indicates you reached the 7.9 litre reserve, what does your fuel gauge show?

I have a 1.5 litre VTi and when the light comes on, my fuel gauge is showing very close to empty, but then when I fill it up, I can only put in about 30-32 litres for a 42 litre tank.

Which tells me, my gauge should be showing around 1/4 left, not empty.

I've put this question to my Honda dealer, as I reckon my fuel sensor is crap.it's nothing to do with the fuel sensor.

It's how the needle is installed on the gauge from factory.

It's not a swiss watch,

use your common sense and go by your refueling calculations.

ericl33
27-04-2012, 04:32 PM
35 ltr into a 42ltr tank is pretty empty.

ericl33
27-04-2012, 04:36 PM
To me that's pretty stupid, as it means I have to guess really, how much further I can drive, rather than just making the fuel gauge show empty when it is empty.

If you're a big boy, why don't you use intelligence to work out how much further you have till empty rather than go crying to Honda...

as I said, it's not a swiss watch

... or better yet, I can accept that the fuel light comes on when you hit reserve, I'll even accept that the fuel gauge shows empty when I hit reserve, but at least have the range calculator show what I can actually drive, rather than just making up a figure that has no resemblance to what I can actually drive.mathematics

BiLL|z0r
27-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Most I got into mine was 38ltrs. I grinned to myself for running it so low. I was on empty for aaagggeesss. OP's post (from 2010) is normal behaviour.

Artie
28-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I decided to test mine out recently. Starting with a full tank to the brim, the low fuel light came on after 575.4 km. The needle on the guage was two lines above empty but dropped to empty after another 30km. I drove for a further 102.5km from when the low fuel light came on before filling it up. When filling it up it took 35.99 litres to the brim. Using these figures, fuel economy and assuming that the tank WILL take 42 litres the total range on one tank works out to be 790km. That's an extra 215km after the low fuel light comes on. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable testing this out though.

NOTE: fuel economy on that tank worked out to be 5.3 l/100km. (The indicator on the dash read 5.9). Some drivers will use more fuel per km than that. My Jazz is a GD3.
NOTE: The tank tends to get a significant air lock in it when filling. This air lock can amount to up to 5 litres. To get the maximum amount of fuel in you need to rock the car when filling.

Cheers
Artie.

ericl33
28-04-2012, 01:51 PM
carry a fuel canister and drive till empty if anyone is really that fussed about it.

nothing wrong with filling up when the light comes on @ the earliest convenience.