PDA

View Full Version : Power steering! Who drives without it?!

nickk
29-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey guys! Posting to see how common p/s deletes are, especially amongst those with a b series. I'm thinking of removing mine and fitting a breather along with an aircon delete. What do you guys think?? Pros and cons?

quangsuke
29-07-2010, 12:05 AM
mate drives without power steering, only notice it when ur parking.

nickk
29-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Same here. My mate has the same setup as me, minus power steering and aircon. His engine bay looks so
much neater! Plus the feedback around corners and added reliability. Just want to get other peoples opinions.

EG5
29-07-2010, 12:38 AM
You dont need to add breather set up.
Just loop it

xntrik
29-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Not suited for a daily driver, wouldn't recommend it.

mugen_ctr
29-07-2010, 01:20 AM
nothing wrong with a little work out, lol..... but deleting it, does save a little weight.... and also, u will notice the road alot more, steering feed back....in a small car, its not a big deal, but in bigger cars, u will struggle in a parkin space, lol.... unless ur a hardcore track junkie enthusiast, no need to get rid of p/s, an a/c..... and in summer, u mite regret takin out ac....

MikeyG
29-07-2010, 01:20 AM
ive only driven p/s cars but with my eg i wont be lol

yonas the only i thing i hear from u is

" No power steering "

" k24a it :) "

nickk
29-07-2010, 01:26 AM
You dont need to add breather set up.
Just loop it

F all difference with or without a breather yeah? Pump is leaking, and aircon needs a gas. If i take it out i wont have to worry
about it again.

EKVTIR-T
29-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Looks nicer for sure

Not so fun with lots of neg camber on the front wheels for a daily though,all over the place on crap roads

Wouldnt bother again

also dont use a tiny diameter steering wheel unless youre Arnie lol :eek:

jimsta
29-07-2010, 09:28 AM
unless ur a full trackie then yes no ps and ac but for daily... ill probably think about it again.

EK1.6LCIV
29-07-2010, 03:30 PM
ac I can live without, but driving in a car that should have ps is a step back in a daily driver from what Ive driven

but if you seldomly drive this car and dont have to sit in traffic, park in a shite parking garage, actually take it shopping, then by all means weekend spec its just livable

eg5civic
29-07-2010, 04:31 PM
i drive mine daily 140k,s round trip to and from work without p/s or a/c

man the **** up.

It bothered me for the first 3 days, now i take corners one handed like a hectic uleh with ease.
Seriously a huge increase in road feel, i swear it is the best mod after coilovers, i felt unsafe on bumpy roads due to lack of feedback, now i have no problems, even parking in carparks, uturns, 3 point turns ect.

Its the best thing you'll ever do trust me,

Red_EG4
29-07-2010, 05:09 PM
I've driven my parents lancer without power steering, horrid idea for a joke.

lsvtec
29-07-2010, 05:40 PM
how bad is it? ive never driven a car without powersteering, im thinking of doing the same 2 my EG

nickk
29-07-2010, 05:52 PM

man the **** up.

It bothered me for the first 3 days, now i take corners one handed like a hectic uleh with ease.
Seriously a huge increase in road feel, i swear it is the best mod after coilovers, i felt unsafe on bumpy roads due to lack of feedback, now i have no problems, even parking in carparks, uturns, 3 point turns ect.

Sold!

Did you just loop the lines or what?

I've got a DC2 or DC2R rack... I wonder if it will be better or worse than a civic one.

lsvtec
29-07-2010, 05:55 PM
FARK, this is making me want to take my p/s out!!! LOL

zachge
29-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Pros: GF/Wife won't want to drive your car = she cant crash it/ding it
You get super rig from turning the wheel so profusely.

Win?

nickk
29-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I'll take it out this weekend, maybe tomorrow.. along with my power steering. I'll take a few pics on the way.

Where should i buy the fittings for the rack from though!? I don't even know what size to get..! might have to take them off and get a lift somewhere to pick them up.

Pros: GF/Wife won't want to drive your car = she cant crash it/ding it
You get super rig from turning the wheel so profusely.

Win?
agreed man.. my mrs. can't drive manual and can't stand the stripped interior and "old looking" dash.. so I'm sweet haha.
Gonna be loving the built tri's

Riviera
29-07-2010, 07:14 PM

man the **** up.

what width tyres u running, most honda drivers are skinny lol and 215's on the front with no p/s will be fail in chinatown parking lot lol

EKVTIR-T
29-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah I'd take advice from someone who corners onehanded yet wants feedback and "road feel"...

Dont forget to man up when you pay for the repair job when the gf puts the car up a gutter or into another car

yellows2k
29-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Ps and ac is a must in any car I look at. It's 2010 not 1960, these things r STD

anjin
29-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Have a gen 1 and a gen 2 EF7 crx without power steering, both that way from factory. No problems with either car.

Its not really noticeable in the gen 2, except in tight parking. Thats with 205/50 R15's. That rack is close to 4 turns lock to lock.

In the gen 1 it is heavy at slow speeds, but with R comp tyres on it lightens up. That is probably wheel alignment as I run a track toe all the time in that car. That one is 3.75 turns lock to lock.

I'd drain your power steering rack altogether, as otherwise you will be pushing the fluid around as well as the wheels. That's one of the reasons the steering goes heavy when the belt slips or breaks - you are having to move the ps fluid through the rack, and probably the pump as well.

eg5civic
29-07-2010, 08:27 PM
i'm implying how easy it is to turn once the air bleeds out of the lines and you give it a week to get used to
But you know, no p/s isnt for everyone, but hey, i'm about to be running a fixed back with no interior doing the same 140kms/day 5 days a week and i love it

imo, i'm still young, and want to do it now, when i'm not worried about comfort, or seating capacity

And as i said best thing you can do, ahve you ever driven a civic without p/s thats half decently set up

as for how to do it, take the pump and bottle out, buy a t peice from supercheap and a cheap $1 fuel filter, run the two ends of the lines into 2 ends of the T peice and run the fuel filter off the top to act as a breather. Make sure the fuel filters flow arrow points the right way.

Also before you install the fuel filter, i put a funnel in the hose and poured oem p/s fluid into it then turned the rac left to right till it took as much fluid as it could, then installed the filter, drove it for a week, filter fills with excess p/s fluid, open it up, empty, reinstall and you have a looped p/s rack with breather thats full of fluid so it doesnt seize up

I'll take a photo of mine tomorrow so you can see.

bennjamin
29-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I've run it in two cars for The last 4-5 years. Works great on a light car with a LSD !

For those considering removing ps all together

It's not overly hard to do - but for longevity and cleanliness of engine bay you must
1. Totally remove ALL piping of the ps line. ( on a eg/dc/ek) Drop the subframe to access all piping. Cut it all out.
2. Run 2 hoses from the base of the steering rack knuckle. Either cut the standard pipes some distance up or weld on new fittings.
Run these hoses UP the firewall to a 3 prong piece. the two pipes should join the t piece.
3. Now , jack up the front end of the car OR park the front axle on grass etc. You should somehow drizzle OEM ps fluid into the top of the t piece and thusly into the new ps system while rotating the steering slowly 100% left then 100% right back and forth to displace air bubbles In the system and hopefully fill it entirely with fluid.
4. Next grab some of the same hose, fit it to the top of the t piece and finally run either a small fuel filter that fits the ID of the pipe. It's important to run a breather of sorts for longevity of the rack and ease of use.
Make sure the new loop/breather is held in a upright position - gravity aids the flow back of displaced fluid

nickk
09-08-2010, 01:09 PM
I've taken the belt off and been driving with no p/s for the last two weeks or so. It's really not as bad as I thought, I kinda cbf putting the belt back on to be honest lol.

eg6sir
09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I took PS off my EG after installing the H22A, it made the engine bay look a lot cleaner, thats about the only benefit i felt, i have 205/15s in the front, i wish i kept PS but, it made the car more difficult to drive in tight places and parking. it does make the steering feel more direct, but in my opinion not worth it. my daily drive is a 4 door EH civic, love the PS. so if it's a daily vehicle, i recommend you keep PS, if it's a weekend car, then PS is not critical.