PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good buy ?

Johnmiceter
29-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, back again. I've been up and down like a yo yo looking for a nice Civic Hatch for the right price. Even been looking at Nissan Pulsar SSS's 98-00 the last couple of weeks. But I think they might be a bit out of my price range.

And I just can't find a really nice Honda Civic 95 VTI Hatch in my area with low k's. So I'm looking at this car and I am pretty sure it's cheap, well compared to up here, but just wanted to get a few of your opinions on what you think if it's ok.

It's a 1999 Honda Civic hatch GLI manual for $10,000, but I'm pretty sure I could get it for $9500, well hopefully anyway :) It's in perfect condition inside and out, and it's fully stock, has a lady owner. But the only thing I don't like about it is it's red :(

But other then that it seems really good and it only has 90,000 k's which I thought is pretty good.

I know most of you's probably have hotted up VTI's or something better, but for those that own a GLI on here, what do you think of them. Are they still decent power wise ?

joneblaze
29-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Probably not very good in a power sense or if you have more than 2-3 ppl in the car, but they should be sufficient.

I've driven a '95 VTi EG and found it very zippy and fun to drive. Never had a go on a GLi EK, so I'll leave that to the GLi owners to comment on. :)

Good luck with your hunt mate.

Weq
29-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Its up to u mate. do u enjoy the styling and features it has, compared to the VTi? The d16y4 is a complete dead end really, it will never match a y1 or y8 without a head/manifold swap atleast. that will bring it kinda on par with a sohc vtec, and everyone will tell u that the sohc vtec's arnt that modable as is :)

the EG VTi's keep there value for a reason :) dont worry about k's, anything under 180k is a baby. That said, if u can find a good condition vti with heeps of k's, bargin them down and do a b-series swap wiyh the leftovers

Johnmiceter
29-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Well the only difference from a GLI to a VTI is the Sunroof and the VTEC isn't it ?

I think I just want a nice looking car with low k's with a bit of power. I don't really want it to be done up at all. Because I don't think I'm really that type of person. I would probably just put a full exhaust on and some nice mags, and maybe a nice cd player and that's it really :)

But I would also like it to have a bit of power. But having only driven a VTI civic and a VTIR civic just recently and also a Hyundai Excel twin cam (yes I was thinking about getting one of these at one stage hehe) I'm wondering how the normal GLI is.

So hoping to get some replies, from people that have owned stock styandard GLI hatch models, preferably around the 99 model, thanks.

aimre
29-12-2004, 11:50 PM
well if thats all u want from a car then u wont be dissapointed...

joneblaze
30-12-2004, 12:02 AM
From memory the VTi's have about 10kw on the GLi's. A full exhaust would merely be a waste of money on a GLi, and the set of nice mags would weigh it down even more, making it even less responsive (unless you purchase expensive lightweight rims).

The VTiR EK Civics are in a completely different class to the GLi EK's and VTi EG's.

That being said, if you can't locate a good condition VTi EG, the GLi EK would be a good option due to having less km's, newer styling/chassis and being a '99 model.

Weq
30-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Well the only difference from a GLI to a VTI is the Sunroof and the VTEC isn't it ?

No. much more. small and big things, they add up.

aimre
30-12-2004, 01:22 AM
No. much more. small and big things, they add up.

but remember, all he wants is a car that looks good with some wheels and an exhaust... not some speed deamon. Wouldnt is be better of for him to get a newer car if thats all he wants from it.

Sprung Munkey
30-12-2004, 08:57 AM
I own a EK GLi hatch with mags, exhaust... And I have no proplems with it...
I find it ace to drive around in as that is my type of car. A cruiser, rather than a racer... Though i give it the odd spririted punch every now and then....
The Gli is great for fuel ecconomy. I get 400-450kms of city and little highway driving, witch isn't bad out of a 35lt tank.
Gli has all the electrics. Has disk brakes. and has air bags.... just not the Vtec power... Unfortunatly thats the only major difference.. But i suspect that you won't be dissapointed in it, after what you describe what you wanted out of it....

bo279
30-12-2004, 09:40 AM
yeah those VTIs r pretty expensive....they go for a good 10k+...
n sometimes theyre not even in that great a condition...
ever think about gettin an Si???
difference is sunroof i think?? n of course the DOHC n SOHC vtec...=)
bought mine recently for $7k

[JDM_DC2]
30-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Speaking of EG Si...which is more worth getting the EG Si or EG VTi???...because i know it has the same power...and theyre both different types of engines (SOHC and DOHC) but one of them is VTEC and the other one isnt :S ...so you guys have any opinions on which one would be better to get?

Mr. Focus
30-12-2004, 10:24 AM
i know of an egsi thats goin for 10k. PM EgSi about it

Mr. Focus
30-12-2004, 10:43 AM
as for si vs vti, the si has a d16a8 DOHC non-vtec whereas the vti has the b16a vtec

aimre
30-12-2004, 11:35 AM
also VTi are newer :)

joneblaze
30-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Do a search on the Si/VTi issue. It's been covered MANY times before.

chunsa
30-12-2004, 06:13 PM
you cant go wrong with a gli if all you want is to cruise.. no good for speeding but why would you speed anyways :rolleyes:

Chi
30-12-2004, 06:50 PM
as for si vs vti, the si has a d16a8 DOHC non-vtec whereas the vti has the b16a vtecErrrrrrr, Im 100% sure Vti's never came in with b16as

its D16y1/5/8 ?

Anyways, Driven a GLi EG and EK and they suck in terms of power.

Slammed the gas down all teh way and still moves slower than MRJDM running up hills. :p

If you want a EG civic, go for teh Si.

EG Vti's are also heavier than Si's because of sunroof and airbags and extra power options.

Si's have been proven to beat teh Vti in terms of head to head runs stockwise

cusco echo
30-12-2004, 07:31 PM
just get a vti with b16a conversion haha like mine

Chi
30-12-2004, 07:34 PM
pffft, why b16a, when u can go b18c, or k20a !!

cusco echo
30-12-2004, 07:40 PM
coz vti is 1.6 vtec and b16a is also 1.6 vtec only diff is one is sohc and the other is dohc, so no trouble with insurance and rta

[JDM_DC2]
30-12-2004, 09:32 PM
well..thanks for the opinions guys..my aim of this car was to just be a car than cruises but has enough power to give a 'lil' kick sometimes :P ...

skoota
31-12-2004, 10:43 AM
1999 EK GLi for only $10,000? No way I'd be selling mine anywhere near that cheap. You must ask yourself why so cheap, and get it checked out first. Or maybe she's just a little retarded.

Mr. Focus
31-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Errrrrrr, Im 100% sure Vti's never came in with b16as

sorry bro, my bad. not thinking straight :confused:

bo279
02-01-2005, 05:33 PM
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&th=54183&start=0&rid=3561&S=5e550b2b58a1f4ad623e0193c2ec56ac

give this a try

aimre
02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
If you want a EG civic, go for teh Si.

EG Vti's are also heavier than Si's because of sunroof and airbags and extra power options.

Si's have been proven to beat teh Vti in terms of head to head runs stockwise
but as if u wouldnt want a sunroof :cool::cool::cool:

i got a vti (see avatar) i got pwr evrything 4 wheels disc but no airbag :confused:

Chi
02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh yeah i forgot some older model VTi's dont got airbags.

But thats a good thing, cos if you dont have airbags that go off, you dont hafta bloody pay so much to get a new one!!!

Limbo
03-01-2005, 09:15 AM
btw... VTI - D series, VTiR - B series
There is about 20kw difference and a whole lot of other stuff.
In the VTIs you don't feel the pull as much as a VTiR.
I went for a few test drives before i brought mine.

dynasty
03-01-2005, 06:43 PM
hey, ill say a hatch gli for 10000 is an excellent buy, cos it comes with all the extras, i paid 12500 for my cxi and it was 63000 km when i bought it, so yeh, 10000 is excellent. but if u also want some power, the vti would give u a bit more power. but personally, id go for the gli hatch

imashy14u
03-01-2005, 08:29 PM
from memory, the gli has 88kw compared to the vti having 96kw (at the flywheel). Torque is exactly the same, so off the line they will be the same. top end the vti will beat the gli, just. The vtec in the vti is there mainly for the economy rather than the power.

Weq
04-01-2005, 12:07 AM
from memory, the gli has 88kw compared to the vti having 96kw (at the flywheel). Torque is exactly the same, so off the line they will be the same. top end the vti will beat the gli, just. The vtec in the vti is there mainly for the economy rather than the power.
no it isnt FFS. this is the stupidest most anouying myth in honda n00bs. Intake vtec (SOHC) is used on many fuggin cars like nissans, mistu's and toyota's, and people dont go calling them economny engines. the fact is, vtec on the SOHC is used to extract power and torque out of a small displacement SOHC 1.6L engine. Name me another SOHC which makes as more or more power, and is called 'economy'.

imashy14u
04-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Geez Weq, no need to be so angry! did I tickle a nerve??? Ok I might be wrong with the torque and power side of things, but for economy, there are vtecs out there purely for economy. and when i was talking about economy, i was thinking of the Civic VEi model that has a 1.5L Vtec engine configured for fuel economy.

So don't get too shitty over such little things. some people may get things wrong, not everyone are experts, not even you!