PDA

View Full Version : My Wiper Scratch windscreen.New Car Warranty Claim? replace or repair?

adonk
30-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I have got a problem with my brand new car an Accord VTI-L 2010 purchased 2 weeks ago . the wiper is not installed properly so the steel insert scratched the windscreen on the driver side about 15cms in length. I go to the dealer and ask them what can they do about it. they say they have to determine whose fault is that in the first place. So i proceed and tell them I don't want to pay a cent to repair or replace it since it is not my fault. the car has only been driven 400kms. and I'm not happy with the scratch.

My question is whether it is a good idea to replace the whole windscreen? since I have got an experience that when the windscreen is replaced it is not as neat as the original one as they have to cut into the rubber to take off the original windscreen.
I really don't think that it can be polished to remove the scratch but I prefer that compared to replacing the whole thing though.

Any suggestion on how to say to the dealer that I won't accept anything less than perfect for my car?

Thanks

edras
30-07-2010, 09:01 PM
free windscreen replacement or fix with no excess if you have the insurance

CB7_OWNER
30-07-2010, 09:30 PM
From the dealer's point of view, they can say its not their fault. They could argue, the wiper was fitted fine when they handed the keys over to your. And it was highly likely someone on the street vandalised your car etc etc.

Depending on your dealership, they may or may not replace the windscreen under warranty. ( If its under warranty, they won't repair the item, the will replace it new normally.) Some dealerships may save themselves the hassle, and say it wasn't their fault, this is we're you jump in and contact Honda Australia and file a complaint. 3 most probable solutions:

1. They will replace under warranty free of charge.
2. They will replace the windscreen, at your cost (100%).
3. They will replace the windscreen under goodwill you pay a fraction of the cost.

Honestly though, its unlikely the wiper rubbers were installed incorrectly from factory , and worked fine for 400km's ( depending how often you used it, and it suddenly decided to slip off ?)

adonk
30-07-2010, 10:23 PM
my bad luck then if I have to pay 100% for it...

well if there is any suggestion on how to pressure them to fix it under warranty will be very much appreciated.

adonk
30-07-2010, 10:25 PM
it happens the first time that I turn on the wiper.. not after i use it before.

Danzvtil
30-07-2010, 11:12 PM
funny, u should mention windscreen scratches, a piece of sand must have been dragged by the pass side wiper and scratched the whole length of travel on our accord with 20k on the clock.Might see if obrien can polish it out. Not a honda issue but annoying all the same!

adonk
31-07-2010, 01:32 AM
it might happen but I am certain that the cause of the scratch is the steel wiper insert. since it pops out from the holder. i don't think that dust or sand will cause as much damage as what happens to my windscreen.

kural7
03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
mate just don't go to obrien. no offence but there a tad too expensive. theres heaps of backyard van jobs. i got my cars windscreen done for 170 bucks where others qouted me hundreds more. if only i could remember the company name.

adonk
12-08-2010, 07:18 AM
got the news today.
Honda or the dealer will replace the windscreen for me. I don't know whether i have to pay for the labor but it will be done together with my first 1000km service.
anyone got any experience with replacing windscreen I would like to hear what needs to be closely looked after the windscreen is replaced? (ie. leaks, neat installation etc)

Troy
17-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I've only had an old Datsun windscreen replaced once, here on the Gold Coast look up Moran Windscreens, they were really good.

But to answer your question, I guess you would need to check the rubbers surrounding. Also grab a hose and spray it everywhere after the replacement, then check inside for leaks. Obviously you would be able to replicate the hose scenario at the dealer if it does leak for them to fix it again.