PDA

View Full Version : HID on DC2

mpk_3
30-07-2010, 11:57 AM
hey guys i've just bought a new 5000k HID kit for cheap. really stupid of me not to do research in the first place to find out whether or not they're legal. i have stock headlight
housing btw.

could i get away with them by just
a) properly adjusting the headlights
b) getting projector housing
or
c) just sell the kit

cheers

Samm928
30-07-2010, 12:28 PM
up to 6500k are legal.
best way to do it is hide the ballast in the front bar. what the police cant see theey cant deem illegal.
although remember. whatever it is in todays day. everything that is modified/added/missing on your car is deemed "illegal"

a) properly adjusting the headlights: yehh.. you can lower the beams but defeats the purpose of having them
b) getting projector housing: dc2's have projectors.
or
c) just sell the kit: if you want.

mpk_3
30-07-2010, 12:38 PM
cool i'll test it tonight with a mate's car if its blinding or not. i installed the ballasts inside the fender
together with my other wire tucks.

i also tried turning the headlight adjusters with a screw driver but the beam is not moving.

would be keen to know the experiences of others.

RR-04-RR
30-07-2010, 12:42 PM
i just shoved them in and didnt care lol

i thought all HID on non factory HID cars were illegal?..

Just adjust them lower and that'll be enough to avoid any certain trouble

mpk_3
30-07-2010, 12:50 PM
@RR-04-RR from what i've read they are illegal. i wish i did my research before buying lol.
how long have you had yours installed and what colour temp do you have?
do you get flashed by oncoming traffic?

Samm928
30-07-2010, 12:53 PM
i've got 8000k on my dc2r... who gives a fk...

your going to mod your car. then whatever you do its going to become illegal.

if your missing your glove box or ash tray = illegal.
if your seat belts dont wind up = illegal
if you get different size tyres or rims= illegal

white_ep3_civic
30-07-2010, 01:08 PM
HID's are illegal. But at the end of the day the cop would have to be a real a-hole to defect them. I say just put them in and you shouldn't get hassled

RR-04-RR
30-07-2010, 01:36 PM
@RR-04-RR from what i've read they are illegal. i wish i did my research before buying lol.
how long have you had yours installed and what colour temp do you have?
do you get flashed by oncoming traffic?

I had them on for 6 months using 6000k before selling the car, no flashes as i adjusted it down a tad

And i agree with Samm928... if you're worried about anything illegal,, dont do it.. keep it stock

Samm928
30-07-2010, 01:40 PM
whats the fun in keeping it stock. =)

EKVTIR-T
30-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Its not fun when you dazzle oncoming traffic and the lady crashes into a tree killing her kids is it

Just leave it stock or get projectors

RR-04-RR
30-07-2010, 02:44 PM
whats the fun in keeping it stock. =)

lol i know...

the joys and excitement in modifying lol

pure_na
30-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Its not fun when you dazzle oncoming traffic and the lady crashes into a tree killing her kids is it

you forgot to add that there was a family of bunnies living under the tree who all caught fire and ran around dying as well as the baby doves in the tree who fell to their death.

Samm928
30-07-2010, 07:04 PM

essentially if thats your car in your avatar photo.
whats the fun in getting rims + dumpage on stupid cut springs/aftermarket springs with fail spring rate and rims/tyres that are not the correct size. where it may affect your traction and may result in you flipping your car. killing yourself and others.

i never told him to shine his lights to the sky.. but getting them and using them responsibly doesnt affect other drivers unless your a fuk tart like yourself.

EKVTIR-T
30-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Totally different and a cop out which I was expecting....why do you factor in fun?

How do you use non projector hid kitted headlights responsibly?

And the namecalling I'd love to see you say it face to face ;)

curtis265
31-07-2010, 01:17 AM
They are 100% illegal, given that DC2's don't come (as well as HID-designated projectors) with auto-levelling headlamps and headlight washers.

I'm not 100% familiar with DC2's cutoff's and glare patterns, but my bet is that they don't do too well... given the age of the car and all that. Just aim them down and you'll be fine.

You're not going to get a defect unless you're driving like a douchebag and the cop wants to ping you for somthing, heck a cop could ping nearly any car for something if they all posess the correct technical knowledge.

anyway enough with that stupid fight above, that's not helping the OP question.

androo
31-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Guys, I've owned two DC Integra's and have fitted HID's to both - the cut off line of the integra's projectors are excellent. In fact, more glare is caused by the light hitting the bumper (pre-face lift headlights are recessed into the bumper, therefore some of the light hits the bumper) then the headlights themselves.

I say - go for it =]

mpk_3
31-07-2010, 01:44 AM
@androo - thanks for pointing this out. i've got pre-facelift headlights with a facelift bumper. still in search for a pair of facelift headlights.
how can i aim it down? the adjusters doesn't seem to be working

Lukey
31-07-2010, 09:34 AM
essentially if thats your car in your avatar photo.
whats the fun in getting rims + dumpage on stupid cut springs/aftermarket springs with fail spring rate and rims/tyres that are not the correct size. where it may affect your traction and may result in you flipping your car. killing yourself and others.

i never told him to shine his lights to the sky.. but getting them and using them responsibly doesnt affect other drivers unless your a fuk tart like yourself.

stock hids on cars are bad enough, like euros, bimmers, new hsv holdens, etc etc.

let alone all these ricers running around with hid kits in cars that arent made for them

krogoth
31-07-2010, 04:40 PM
lol HIDs are ****ing shit full stop.

U mad???

if ****ing lexus and merc cant get them right, how is some backyard **** around going to be any better

i get blinded by the most expensive cars on the road and im stock height

MWAKU
31-07-2010, 05:54 PM
i sense punch on

just do it, **** what others think. who cares if its illegal, u get done u get done. you've already bought it, its 5000k, perfect color. let ppl cry **** what they think, wtf they gunna do

mpk_3
31-07-2010, 08:58 PM
yea true that

DC2-PWR
31-07-2010, 09:29 PM
So much aruging for simple questions.

I say put it on, the visibility is so much better than OEM lights bulbs. And it looks great.

mpk_3
31-07-2010, 11:30 PM
good to hear! thanks guys for your inputs :thumbsup:

androo
01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
i have HIDs on my DC2, no need to get the projector housing bulls**t, it does not blind oncoming traffic, believe me, i have them on my DC2, no dramas.
i'm running 8000k as well, cop pulled me over and did a check on my car, cop saw the HIDs and did not defect it, only defected my rear spoiler.

Why did they defect your spoiler?

As I said... Just fit them. I have 5000k HID's and they're awesome. They don't blind, visibility is way better and the stock projectors in the DC Integra is awesome - The cut off line is perfect.

I've even parked my car and drove up to it in another car numerous times with friends to see if it's blinding at all - We couldn't get an angle that was 'blinding'. Same with driving it up to the rear of another car =]

BTW, the HID's on Lexus', BMW's, etc. are designed differently and project differently and that's what gives them the sharper 'blinding' effect. Normal projectors do not do this.

BUT - If you got HID's and put them in stock reflector lights, I will call you a fk wit. I hate that so much. It is EXTREMELY blinding. End of story.

mpk_3
01-08-2010, 11:47 PM
btw what's the difference between projectors & reflectors?

curtis265
02-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Projectors look like balls of glass within the headlights - think of t he latest BMW's and Audi's... or this LOL.
http://www.civicheadlights.net/images/civicheadlights.jpg
not all projectors are designed for HID's, such as those civic ones above, they don't have a flat cutoff, rather a V shaped one which is for halogen globes

Reflectors are actual shiny headlights designed to reflect light
http://autoden.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/yamaha_fz16_headlight.jpg

mpk_3
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
so my 94 dc2 being old would have a stock reflector correct?

Samm928
10-08-2010, 01:32 PM
all dc2/dc4 come standard with projectors.

curtis265
10-08-2010, 08:58 PM
and they would be the halogen reflectors, not HID.

I'm sure retrofitting projectors won't be too hard

DC4Integra98
10-08-2010, 10:16 PM
HIDs are illegal if they are not in projector housing/comply with standards etc. I used to run HIDs on my integra @ 6000K with no dramas from cops.

Make sure you point them down!!!!

mpk_3
11-08-2010, 09:22 AM
how did you point them down? adjusting the knobs doesn't seem to work

HIDs are illegal if they are not in projector housing/comply with standards etc. I used to run HIDs on my integra @ 6000K with no dramas from cops.

Make sure you point them down!!!!

aznstyler
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
$220 fine if cops wanna dick you