PDA

View Full Version : Need new clutch for eg..BNE help please

4age8u
02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey guys just need a new clutch kit for my daily...honda civic eg d15b4 ...

Is it hard to put a new cluch in?
Do I need any special tools?

Where can I get 1 from apart from ripco and superheap?
And how much am I looking at roughly?
Any brands I should stay away from?

thanks

EK1.6LCIV
04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
* yes, it's a good 7hr job
* yes, alignment tool if the kit doesn't come with it and misc extensions, sockets, other normal garage tools, shop rags and what have you
* ebay, Honda (funnily not that bad for the clutch disc alone), autobarn, wreckers (last resort, but you can find near new ones there some days for imports)
* add price for flywheel machining ($50-$90), clutch kit ($200-$400), tools if you havent got any ($xxx(x)), Honda MTF good four 1L bottles to play it safe and labour based at $80hr ($80 x 7hrs = $560)

*exedy have been losing springs as have extreme clutch in a few friends cars, but all covered under warranty, but for honda applications I havent seen or heard of any failing prematurely

*dont do this yourself, this is a professionals job, it's a pain in the arse, there is very little cause to do this yourself as it's a once off at best (some will disagree with me, but my time is worth more than a mechanics is), my oem clutch lasted nearly 300,000kms with my driving

*I would however like to suggest to buy a sump gasket (use your vin for this part as not all d-series are the same), Hondabond (for the sump and a few other areas) and rear main seal (the gear box is off, so is the flywheel so just change this too as I'll bet money it will leak down the road and it's right in front of you when the flywheel is off :)) and do those as well whilst you have the gear box and exhaust manifold off, just makes sense and they're cheap as chips :)

sorry for the long read lol

Lennard
06-08-2010, 02:05 PM
so does that mean when you change your clutch its best of to change the flywheel to?
how much would that cost?

DC2-PWR
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey guys,

I've just bought a Exedy Sports Organic clutch from TODA AU. TODA AU has one of the best prices around, its even cheaper than what Exedy supplies to their customers.

I've booked my car in at 101 motorsport, it's in slacks creek. They're charging $350.00. They reccomended that a new Rear main sealent is needed, and also fresh gearbox oil.

The labour is $350, for 6hours.
The oil and sealant is $60
The clutch is $460
2nd hand flywheel + machiened is $100

I'd say you'd be looking between $800-$1,000.00. Even though yours is a civic,

Just hunt for good prices, thats what I did for 2months :)!! Like Ryan said above, don't do it yourself. It is a very big task, and it requires to un-assemble nearly half of the bottom engine.

Cheers.

EDIT: There is an expert in Brisbane that replaces Clutches/flywheels for a very cheap price, well simular to 101, but he has replaced clutches for 90LAN (As you know, his vehicles and parts are pure quality), and thousands of other Honda's. PM 90LAN to get his contact details. His the best I found so far :)
I'm not trying to make some guy do good in business, but trust me it is very hard to find someone that can replace Honda FWD clutches, because it is foremost one of the hardest parts to get to and it takes long. This guy is fast, and he knows this process from back to front.

Lennard
06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
ahh ok. where abouts is this place your getting the clutch?

yeah i know just asking if its best of to do that.

cheers

DC2-PWR
06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
ahh ok. where abouts is this place your getting the clutch?

yeah i know just asking if its best of to do that.

cheers

I was more suggesting my post to the OP, as he asked "Is it hard to put a new cluch in?"

101 Motorsport, slacks creek QLD.