PDA

View Full Version : VIS carbon fibre bonnets

tamay_s2k
02-08-2010, 03:15 PM
hey guys
just interested in this J's racing 'styke' carbon fibre bonnet
http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/2000_9999_s2000/exterior/hoods/carbon_fiber_hoods/vis_racing/visr00130652.html
i no its a mock up but i just wanted to know wat its like compared to the actual one.
would this be real carbon fibre or the typical fibre glass with carbon surface.
please let me no if any of you guys have used this or no anone who has had one before
thanks in advance :D

STAiN MASTER
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I think J's costs $3000, this costs $500.. expect a lower grade CF and might be even heavier then OEM, but it should do the job.

sho
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
ive seen the seibon MG styled bonnet in person
and i have the J's cf bonnet
the weave is different not to mention quality
the resin coat that holds the carbon (the clear coat) on the seibon one looked like its gonna fade
and not to mention the weight of the thing
it was carbon with fibreglass skeleton which i would assume it would be the same for VIS j's style like many other [insert brand] styled cf bonnets

but its still carbon if thats what ur worried about just a different grade and the skeleton is FRP thats about it.
oh and fitment wasn't the best

the j's one was good
i use mine often and mine hasn't fade yet.. still nice and shiny!

tamay_s2k
02-08-2010, 05:10 PM
haha
yea bcuz im thinking of maybe going for a proper j's bonnet
i just wanted 2 c if the extra $2500 is really worth it
but i guess it wuld be

JAP-S2K
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
IMO, I wouldn't think the extra coin would be worth it (money better spent elsewhere) . As the weight saving over the OEM bonnet is only minimal if any(with a J's item). With nearly all aftermarket carbon/fiberglass bonnets weigh more than OEM (wet carbon). To really get the best weight reduction, best to buy dry carbon. Also need endless funds as it ain't cheap.

tamay_s2k
02-08-2010, 11:53 PM
thanks man
yea ur right
money can go better towards something else. i think thats exactly wat i will do haha
glad i got that thought out of the way :D

Oinking
09-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I have the cheapo alternative. It's heavier than the stock bonnet. You need to take good care of it, or it starts to form white patches if you leave it under the sun for too long.

PS - Just wondering, are CF bonnets legal in NSW? I overheard someone say that they weren't. And do cops pull you over for it? I don't take my car out much and I have never run into a cop car yet, so i was wondering if someone else had the experience. Sorry to de-rail the thread :angel:.

JAP-S2K
13-08-2010, 10:06 AM
PS - Just wondering, are CF bonnets legal in NSW? I overheard someone say that they weren't. And do cops pull you over for it? I don't take my car out much and I have never run into a cop car yet, so i was wondering if someone else had the experience. Sorry to de-rail the thread :angel:.

To answer your question. Yes they are, actually any external carbon fiber addition is regarded as dangerous and therefore defectable (so even hardtop, guards and boot). But it always the run of the mill with cops, some cops crack down on them, most don't give a shit. I've had one for over 4 years, vented and not vented, pulled over for multiple RBT's and general infrigements as well as being defected. Never had any mentioned about the bonnet, even while being defected for other mods. It will also depend where you are, if your cruising the streets in large modded car groups or hang out at popular spots, they'll bust you for anything.