PDA

View Full Version : Car wont' start

barefootbonzai
30-12-2004, 05:08 PM
What could go wrong with the ignition system? My car doesn't want to start up now and then. It's like i've left the lights on all night and the battery is drained, but i haven't of course. So question is, how do i check if my battery has reached it's end, or what else should i be looking at? I drive a 99 EM1.

Weq
30-12-2004, 05:37 PM
use a muiltmeter to check the voltage. when the car is on it should be around 14v, and when its off, 12v.
what does the starter do when it doesnt want to start? it could also be the starter like what happened to mine - it would just click away and catch every 10-15goes.

bennjamin
30-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Does the car actually turn over at all ?
Check if the car has sufficient
* spark
*fuel
Check the distributor- could be assoiciated with the ignoter module or the coil inside.Check the spark leads...
Check the main relay under the drivers side too . . .

geo41e
30-12-2004, 07:37 PM
is the car even cranking? as in, is the engine turning at all ?
can u clutch start ?
do the reds go on ?
ignition switch????

tinkerbell
30-12-2004, 07:43 PM
My car doesn't want to start up now and then.
could be the "main relay"

or distributor related...

you haven't given enough information to help you out though...

.::F[L]Y::.
30-12-2004, 10:08 PM
does it start when u turn the key again?

ECU-MAN
30-12-2004, 10:45 PM
change your battery !!!!

civiceg9
30-12-2004, 11:41 PM
charge up your battery and check again.

bumography
31-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Bring your car to a battery place. They should test your battery load for free, to see if its keeping its charge or not. But even if your car doesnt start, turn the headlights on, if its very bright, then its not your battery is it?

When cars not starting (battery is good), check the leads for sparks, if none..? then its your distributor. When you said it doesnt start up "now and then" i'm pretty sure its ur dizzy.

barefootbonzai
31-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. Yes it does start when i clutch start it. It also starts when i turn the key most times, but it sounds like a sick puppy. Where is the distributor, starter and main relay?

But i'll check the battery, leads and spark plugs as soon as i finish work. So sad, having to work on new years eve.

tinkerbell
31-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. Yes it does start when i clutch start it. It also starts when i turn the key most times, but it sounds like a sick puppy. Where is the distributor, starter and main relay?

yeah, sounds like you should take it to a mechanic...