PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky/Creaky Clutch Pedal

csun0364
03-08-2010, 01:42 PM
hi all

note, edit: for a 2003 DC5R

recently noticed the clutch pedal making squeaky/creaky sounds while i press down on it. there is also a slight 'clicking' type of sound if you press down on it slowly. if you press fast, its just a rubber sounding squeak. the sound is constant through out the entire process of pushing down on the clutch after about 1cm of travel. squeaks on engagement and disengagement.

it happens with the engine both on and off, and seems to only occur when the car has been driven for 40 minutes plus (this morning for example). however, i've also noticed when car is cold or cool'd down. with the radio/car running, its not very audible. but with everything switched off you can hear it clearly.

it feels like its coming from the pedal and under the fash, but if it matters, its louder with the door/bonnet open.

the clutch seems to operate smoothly and the actual drive seems un affected.

anyone have any idea what this might be?

cheers

Nuci
03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I had the same thing with my crx. Im fairly sure its the clutch spring in the clutch assembly or something like that, some sort of lubricant should fix it up.

DC5.Raven
03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I had this problem on a DC5S it was the Clutch Master Cylinder.
A simple short term solution is lube. Though problem came back in about 3 weeks/ amonth.
If you really want to fix it then replace the clutch master cylinder.

Look here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?129219-Squeaky-clutch&highlight=clutch
Its also common in Euros:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?12165-Creaking-clutch-pedal-Euro&highlight=euro+creak+clutch

csun0364
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
thanks all

is it safe to continue to drive with the short term lube fix?

how much does it cost to replace a master cylinder roughly?

Nuci
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
The creaking occurs purely because some of the parts within the master cylinder have lost some of their natural moisture and have dried out slightly. Lube will fix this, but as with anything that you lubricate it wont last forever, youd need to maintain it. But i wouldnt think it would do any damage or be unsafe. just a noise.

csun0364
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
hi guys, thanks

had another listen with someone pressing the clutch and its definately not coming from the pedal assembly, but from what i believe is the master cylinder...

csun0364
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
just an update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us_xcv5eGlY

thats where the squeak is coming form on my car. its not nearly as bad though, and is not always audible. can you guys confirm what that is and solutions/price of permanent fix?

bennjamin
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
perm. fix = REPLACE WITH NEW PART.

You should replace the clutch master cylinder AND slave cylinder in one go. Why ? I have been told that replacing one , the other will often fail shortly after.

I got it replaced @ TODA recently -

HONDA Genuine parts: DC5/EP3 clutch slave cylinder $150.00
HONDA Genuine parts: DC5/EP3 clutch master cylinder $220.00

And about $100 or so to fit it. Common issue on DC5s / EP3s etc.

WATAJK
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Yeah got this problem.. get mine lube'd everytime it has a service... easy problem..
Replace the master cylinder or lube it regularly...

EVLGTR
06-08-2010, 02:36 AM
That video used to sound similar like my DC2R, i had the same problem which was the ball joint grinding noise between the slave cylinder and the release fork. Try re-greasing it coz its exposed to all elements and tends to dry up, worked for me :)