PDA

View Full Version : Leakdown / compression test + Rebuild options :)

nickk
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, just had a leak down and compression test done on my car.
Here are the results:

Compression test:
1 - 175psi
2 - 125psi
3 - 175psi
4 - 175psi

Leak down test:
1 - 33%
2 - 80%
3 - 40%
4 - 25%

Looks like the rings on cylinder 2 have had it.

I'm thinking something along the lines of new rings, bearings and seals and send the block off to be honed/machined. I'm on a fairly tight budget but my car will keep going until I've purchased everything needed to do the rebuild.

I've got a close mate that is experienced with this kind of thing so he can help me out along the way.

Anyone had to do the same thing? Ideas, suggestions? What rebuild kit to buy?

I found THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JDM-B16B-Civic-Type-R-Pistons-Rings-Race-Bearings-B16A-/160451584659?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255ba8e293) rebuild kit, seems very cheap, can I trust it?

markismaximus
03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
both of these websites :

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/leakdown/leakdown.php

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/htup_0812_diy_leak_down_testing/index.html

would suggest that those leakdown results (anything higher than 10%) are below par, even though its only cylinder 2 that's got bad compression.

Good luck with it

dougie_504
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey guys, just had a leak down and compression test done on my car.
Here are the results:

Compression test:
1 - 175psi
2 - 125psi
3 - 175psi
4 - 175psi

Leak down test:
1 - 33%
2 - 80%
3 - 40%
4 - 25%

Looks like the rings on cylinder 2 have had it.

I'm thinking something along the lines of new rings, bearings and seals and send the block off to be honed/machined. I'm on a fairly tight budget but my car will keep going until I've purchased everything needed to do the rebuild.

I've got a close mate that is experienced with this kind of thing so he can help me out along the way.

Anyone had to do the same thing? Ideas, suggestions? What rebuild kit to buy?

I found THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JDM-B16B-Civic-Type-R-Pistons-Rings-Race-Bearings-B16A-/160451584659?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255ba8e293) rebuild kit, seems very cheap, can I trust it?

I've heard of Nippon and that they're quite good - the only problem with Ebay is can you be sure you'll get what you paid for?

I recommend going OEM parts if you can.

egb16b
03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
go OEM as dougie_504 suggested

~Sp33~
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
If you use the company that Honda uses, you don't incur the OEM mark up, and you receive the same quality parts.

nickk
04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I was planning on going oem for small bits and pieces... Only thing is, I want the car to be more than capable of handling a thrashing so that's why I'm considering other non gen parts.

EK1.6LCIV
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Im with Steve on this, do the research and find where the oem parts are made from before they're reboxed and stamped

nickk
04-08-2010, 04:25 PM
has anyone had any experience with brian crower or toda stroker kits?
I am interested to know what the durability is like if a good build and tune is done with one.

markismaximus
04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
If you're tight on budget as said in OP I would say brian crower or toda stroker kits are definitely not a necessity

nickk
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Lol.. well, originally I didn't want to spend more than 2-3K as it's my daily.

However, after reassessing my financial position I can spare up to $6,000 on the build.

Now I know people will suggest putting a c7 or a jdm b18c in, however... I may find myself in the same situation I am in now, a year after putting it in. At least if I go ahead with a stroker kit and higher comp, I know that it should last longer.

duzy
05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
just wondering how much they charged for the compression leakdown test? and where did you get it done?

Thanks

dougie_504
05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
You can buy the equipment yourself for like $60

nickk
05-08-2010, 01:54 PM
yeah all you do is pump lets say 100psi into a cylinder, with a pressure gauge monitor how much leaks. You can listen to where it's leaking from to determine the problem e.g exhaust, valve cover, dipstick etc.

*edit*

If my car is down 50psi in one cylinder shouldn't it run pretty shit / have poor fuel consumption?
I'm averaging 420km+ per tank and that's with close to 10 individual 3-5 minute thrashes (bringing it past 7000rpm many times) on that tank.
The car doesn't seem to be lacking power either and only burns oil at about 6500rpm +

VTECnique
05-08-2010, 04:46 PM
you say you've got a budget of 6k now, im going to suggest strapping a turbo to it....

nickk
05-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Reliability and fuel consumption will be sacrificed.
The stroker kit wouldn't be a good choice for consumption either but I dare say the turbo'd b16a world drink more.
I have had 6 turbocharged cars before owning this civic (3 of which had monster turbo setups and boosted to stupid amounts of boost)
I've grown sick and tired of the maintenance they require.
The other thing to note is that I have an inherent knack of spinning bottom end bearings, If I go the turbo option, on my budget I would effectively have a weaker motor with boost rather than a stronger NA motor with high comp which I would imagine would be better in terms of longevity.

vampzzz
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
why don't you go b18c?

nickk
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
why don't you go b18c?

If I get a b18c then I will probably find myself in the exact same position in 2 years time, but with a b18c in the engine bay instead of the b16a. I'm adamant on keeping my civic until I'm off my P's (when I'm 23.. so just under 4 years) so I want something that will endure a beating in that time.

vampzzz
05-08-2010, 05:23 PM
b18c will endure the beating. just find a good condition one.

Bludger
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
IMO, when b18cr's have been looked after properly, they are pretty bullet proof.

nickk
05-08-2010, 05:31 PM
any ideas where to find one? your referring to a jdm 18c yeah?
It would be less costly, esp. if I could mate a jdm b18 short engine with the head i have now.

edit. i will end up with lower comp if I do that i think!? maybe deck the block slightly and get a thinner head gasket.

DC2-PWR
05-08-2010, 05:34 PM
A 6k budget for a rebuild... I'd give up and look for another civic :).

Or B18C or K20.

They're reliable engines and I'd bet that they would last way longer than your "stroker kit". Well anything would last, if taken care of. Hence it is a better engine,

My 0.02c

nickk
05-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Why wouldn't a stroked b16 with the toda or brian crower kit last?
K20 is out of the question, 6k wouldnt get me there.

DC2-PWR
05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Why wouldn't a stroked b16 with the toda or brian crower kit last?
K20 is out of the question, 6k wouldnt get me there.

You can get anywhere with luck man, I didn't say it wouldn't last, I said it wouldn't last longer than a newer engine. Modifying a warn engine is always trouble... well from my experaince.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?117546-Rare-jdm-type-r-parts
This is a mint B16B engine, from Lan.

Just search and you'll get there,
Good luck :)

Bludger
05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
any ideas where to find one? your referring to a jdm 18c yeah?
It would be less costly, esp. if I could mate a jdm b18 short engine with the head i have now.

edit. i will end up with lower comp if I do that i think!? maybe deck the block slightly and get a thinner head gasket.
any b18c unopen from factory thats been looked after.

Limbo
05-08-2010, 05:48 PM
are you able to have a modified car? i thought your restricted on having a modified car?

If I get a b18c then I will probably find myself in the exact same position in 2 years time, but with a b18c in the engine bay instead of the b16a. I'm adamant on keeping my civic until I'm off my P's (when I'm 23.. so just under 4 years) so I want something that will endure a beating in that time.

nickk
05-08-2010, 05:58 PM
You can get anywhere with luck man, I didn't say it wouldn't last, I said it wouldn't last longer than a newer engine. Modifying a warn engine is always trouble... well from my experaince.

If the prep work on the block is done correctly, there is no reason why it wont last as long as a newer unopened motor.
I'm referring to the machine work, specifically the clearances and how well the bores are honed.

I'm completely 100% new to Honda's, so I'm still unsure of good suppliers, other than searching forums, eBay n firesport etc. haha

are you able to have a modified car? i thought your restricted on having a modified car?
By law in Victoria, you cannot have any performance enhancing mods (or more than one I think?)
The police look out for turbos, blowers and 8's. If your playing around with a 4cyl they wont look twice, maybe just a defect if they can spot something unsafe. I've learned this from experience, very sh1t experiences.

DC2-PWR
05-08-2010, 06:13 PM

This is what NCOP says
Look at 2.2 Engine modifactions

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engines_3Feb2006.pdf

But you can however put another/simular engine in the car but, according to NCOP
Look at 2.1 Choice of engine
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engines_3Feb2006.pdf

For example, a 180sx normally comes with a CA18DET, you can exchange that engine with a N/A SR20 and you will meet the critera. Therefore legal for street.

So thats why most of us reccomend engine converstions, as the OP said this will be your daily... So meaning it has to be legal.

Just trying to help :)

nickk
05-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Ah k! I see what you mean. I can't see the links yet, still at work :(
I thought maybe you were going down the path of "your a P plater so you should be driving an excel".

I'd prefer not to opt for a 1.8L block because then I need engineer's certs and hassles that I don't want to endure.
I could just pretend that the conversion never occurred but if i was to get a defect or try to sell the car, then it will be the big headfcuks.
Most modifications while holding a probationary license go un-noticed, providing that you remain naturally aspirated, aren't ridiculously loud or don't have ITB's n shizz.

dougie_504
05-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah already have a B16A yeah? You can source a B16A bottom for about $200 still health. If you're worried about doing that, then you could always rebuild it and swap your bottom ends over.

Don't get a new engine if you already have a B16A. The only thing you should consider is a bigger bottom block.

$6g is a lot of money, just fix your B16 and enjoy the power/reliability of a reco'd block.

DC2-PWR
05-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Ah k! I see what you mean. I can't see the links yet, still at work :(
I thought maybe you were going down the path of "your a P plater so you should be driving an excel".

I'd prefer not to opt for a 1.8L block because then I need engineer's certs and hassles that I don't want to endure.
I could just pretend that the conversion never occurred but if i was to get a defect or try to sell the car, then it will be the big headfcuks.
Most modifications while holding a probationary license go un-noticed, providing that you remain naturally aspirated, aren't ridiculously loud or don't have ITB's n shizz.

Sorry the link didn't work for you, here try this one
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

Scroll down and select the third PDF file called ( •NCOP3 Section LA Engines 3 Feb 2006 ), it's got the do's and don'ts regarding engine modifications, and all other things like transmission etc.

Haha nah man, I'm a p plater myself, your my homie :p.

Goodluck anyway:thumbsup:

nickk
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
ooo i see i see. I'm not sure which would be the best option... might have to make a poll.
haha all good :)