PDA

View Full Version : Accord VTI vs. Accord Euro 6-cyl. 2009-2010 models

anonymousmoose
04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

I've got my Holden Caprice coming up to end of lease next year. I've been looking at the Honda Accords again.

At the moment, I'm trying to budget about $35,000 for the next car. So I weighing up a few options and Honda seams to be on the list again.

Now, I'm used to a Holden Caprice V8 but I am in no way a speed freak nor do I even drive fast. Saying that, I do like the way the engine carries the big car and the acceleration is seamless.

So I looked at the Honda Accord Euro. The plus for me is that its made in Japan. But in my budget, I would be able to obtain a VTI model (4 cylinder) Luxury (I defiantly want Luxury, not standard). On the other hand, the 'standard' Accord Luxury V6 goes for about $35,000 too. So the dilemma is which one is the better built car? I prefer Japan over Thailand per say but I'm no Honda expert.

I have the Caprice in for insurance work at the moment (just hail dents) and I am driving a rental Toyota Camery. Tell you the turth, the cars 4 cylinder engine just isn't what I would want to drive every day. It accelerates ok but you can tell the engine struggles to move the car. Would the Accord Euro VTI be similar?

Oh, and I should note that when I say $35,000. I'm talking about buying a near-new car, not brand new. I dont mind buying cars a year old with new car warranty left.

A penny for your thoughts?

PS
Another option would be an 06 Lexus is250. I hear they are fantastic cars and not much goes wrong. But I would not have a warranty with an IS250.

Danzvtil
04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Caprices are ok cars, all the taxi and hire car drivers lament that bits of the interior trim tend to fall off!
Couppla things to consider with a honda, ride, your caprice would be quite wafty and set up for comfort, any accord or euro accord on 17's is quite firm, and to my preference, not very relaxing to drive at low speeds around the city and suburbs.But point it at a winding road and your in business.Weight, any accord will be hundreds of kilos lighter than your caprice, so the 4 cyl, while no v8 killer is ample, but the 202kw v6 will be quite lethal. Your seat of pants test drive will, have to be the deciding factor.
I rented a camry recently, and yes, the engine did seem to struggle with the weight of the car, but our 4 cyl accord has more power and FEELS more agile and sporty, thats the diff between toyota and honda engines i guess.
BTW, the Accord Euro only comes with the 4 cyl engine, the Thai built Accord comes with 4 and 6s. Not sure about the diff in build quality (my thai built accord is quite simply the BEST quality car ive EVER owned), but the leather in the Japanese euro smells so much better than Accord leather......
Before i bought the accord, i looked at second hand audis, but reality hit when service and repair costs on a 5 yo german luxury car were thought about. BUY NEAR NEW!!!!

anonymousmoose
05-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the reply. Keep them coming please.

Caprices are ok cars, all the taxi and hire car drivers lament that bits of the interior trim tend to fall off!
Couppla things to consider with a honda, ride, your caprice would be quite wafty and set up for comfort, any accord or euro accord on 17's is quite firm, and to my preference, not very relaxing to drive at low speeds around the city and suburbs!.But point it at a winding road and your in business.

Never had anything fall off in my Caprice touch wood. But then again, I don't drive it like a taxi :-). Also, the Caprice has the firmer suspension. The Statesman is the softer car. The Statesman is setup for comfort as the Caprice has a more sporty feel. I also didn't realise this until after I bought the Caprice, but I'm not complaining.