PDA

View Full Version : Buying first honda but have a few questions...

Samoth
04-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey guys,

I'm buying my first car, just recently got my p's. At the moment I've got a pretty good idea of what I want (manual vtir 5th gen prelude or dc2/5 integra). My problem is, I'm having a tough time FINDING a nice example of what I want... So I have a couple of questions:

Everyone always says buy stock. I get this, it feels cleaner etc? To be honest I dont think I would be modding my car anytime soon, maybe just say an oem lip kit on a prelude nothing major. However I just really want to know WHY it seems perceived to be better to buy stock. There are a lot of options there that I would consider lightly modded (eg mainly headers, exhaust, air intake, suspension), and I'm thinking this seems like it wouldn't be too bad really, car just goes a tad faster and handles a tad 'stiffer?' And it seems to me that in some cases, someone who has put the expense into there car to do things like this wouldnt've spared expenses when it came to servicing etc, whereas some old lady might've neglected that stuff (im aware that that completely comes down to the owner/seller in question lol).

And the other question is: for auto to manual conversions. When you do this procedure, assuming you use mostly oem parts and the job is done properly, does the car just feel like a stock manual? Are there any serious risks or downsides involved (other than the difficulty/cost of finding the parts and doing the job)? I'm just asking because I dont want to settle for a manual, but for preludes in particular, there are so many more autos out there than manuals...

Thanks for helping out guys

white_ep3_civic
05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
The only reason they say buy stock is so you know the car hasn't been tracked heaps or drag raced. There is less chance of a car being thrashed on the track if it has been modified. If you want a manual just buy a manual. The cost of converting would not be worth it. It will end up costing you way to much and may as well bough an expensive manual car.

mnc
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I would personally buy my car from a car enthusiast. Someone who babies their car and always service the car regularly with the good stuff and has evidence/paperwork to prove.

Sometimes stock cars can be in really bad shape inside and out.
* Rarely serviced.
* Poorly looked after.
* Using wrong products to service the car (IF THEY EVER SERVICE IT AT ALL) etc..

I've seen so many camrys, jazz etc that has been serviced every like 20,000km+ if not more.

Try driving with engine oil thats been used for like more than 20,000-30,000km on them.

Limbo
05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
^^ good advice.

Stock is good if someone has looked after it. End of the day if you buy a well looked after car from anyone it would be preferred than one not looked after.
If you find a modified car that is well looked after, saves you money from having to mod it.

Modding cars is expensive and you will not get your money back. Its one of the cons in playing with cars

kcokla
05-08-2010, 06:33 PM
as for auto to manual conversions, yes it does,
having said that, if your planning to buy a car, and potentially an auto to convert to manual, dont waste your time, money and effort.

if you havent got the car yet and want a manual, buy one, simple as that.

for stock -
as everyones mentioned, just so you know it hasnt been stuffed around by a 18 year old kid trying to diy everything and resorting to silicon, glue and duck tape!

cool
05-08-2010, 11:41 PM
rule number one, don't rush into buying a car, look through it and take every detail down, do background checks. etc
if you rush, your going to regret it, personal experience mate.

onevia13
08-08-2010, 10:28 AM
However I just really want to know WHY it seems perceived to be better to buy stock.

its alot of crap dude..people sayin that "knows anything and everything bout cars" and its easier to say stock is good.
theres two side to a coin.
youve pretty much answered it yourself " that completely comes down to the owner/seller in question"

auto to manual conversions?
other than the factors you've mentioned?
then
1 no. no serious risk or downside (other than.. no eating hjs/mcdonald burger+drinking, bashing your friend in the frnt seat etc... etc...
2 yes. sorry to be the one to tell you this buddy but, it will feel like just like any other manual car.
hope i helped :)

JohnO
08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
face it stock or modded cars are gonna be thrashed or atleast spirited driving, important thing is as long as it gets serviced properly with the right oils and viscosity and proper oem filters or better then the condition of the car will still be top notch. enthusiasts generally take better care of cars rather than your average driver because its their baby and they would probably be pretty anal with it.

as for conversions why do it when you can buy a car with conversion done its cheaper rather than diy and price will start to stack up, dont rush as the other guys said so its a going to be a bad outcome in the long run. dont rush into it so quickly you've just gotten your p's shit happens true story build your confidence and skills prove to yourself you can drive something and keep it in a good condition, then go buy whatever you desire. cars are always there so you dont have to worry.

Bulbasaur
10-08-2010, 06:38 PM
agree with dont rush when buying a car. i waited 6 months for my car, 97 integra for 1.7k only needed 2 replace radiator and a fender/gaurd which is total of 2k on my car :D

ben11
10-08-2010, 10:49 PM
yeah limbo is right,

if your going to mod it heaps buy cheaper + low kms if possible because then you wont lose as much money. good idea to wait for the right one, and look around at different souces also. When i looked for my car i was constantly on carpoint, then first day i go to trading post i find a stock integra with 75kms for a bargain.