PDA

View Full Version : Speedo not working

LowEk
05-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Background:
speedo was working yesterday on my way home from work. stopped at a round a bout then after that stopped working.

BEFORE SOME GENIUS SAYS CHECK THE SPEEDO CABLE.. IT DOESNT HAVE ONE AS ITS ELECTRONIC!!!!

checked plugs behind the cluster and still doesnt work

car:
2000 EM1

engine:
B16A2

cant find the speedo sensor as im not sure where it is and tried to google it and i cant find the location of it.

Help please......

nickk
05-08-2010, 03:19 PM
speedo sensor is located top of the gearbox. If your looking into the engine bay, its to the left of the intake manifold and straight down.
You will see a plug going into it. Easy to find. If you have trouble, I can post a pic tonight.

i think you should have posted this in model specific too man.

LowEk
05-08-2010, 03:46 PM
speedo sensor is located top of the gearbox. If your looking into the engine bay, its to the left of the intake manifold and straight down.
You will see a plug going into it. Easy to find. If you have trouble, I can post a pic tonight.

i think you should have posted this in model specific too man.

Thanks nickk. i thought that was the speedo sensor. how can i test if thats my problem??

Sorry if this is in the wrong section can mods move it if it is..

Samm928
05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
trial and error. get one and whack it in.

nickk
05-08-2010, 04:49 PM
not even. usually its the connectors in the plug. I had the exact same problem.
Easiest way to diagnose what is:
Unplug wires going to speedo sensor, in the plug you will see a white cover, take this off with pliers or a flat blade.
Then roll up tiny tiny strips of foil, with a paper clip push them inside each connector (there are three).
Then clip the white cover back in and put the plug back onto the speedo sensor.

If it starts working then all you need is a new plug, which you can get from any wreckers.
If its still not working it's the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or possibly the cluster.

Before you try the foil strips try just disconnecting and reconnecting the plug and push hard on it when you plug it back in.

LowEk
05-08-2010, 04:57 PM
not even. usually its the connectors in the plug. I had the exact same problem.
Easiest way to diagnose what is:
Unplug wires going to speedo sensor, in the plug you will see a white cover, take this off with pliers or a flat blade.
Then roll up tiny tiny strips of foil, with a paper clip push them inside each connector (there are three).
Then clip the white cover back in and put the plug back onto the speedo sensor.

If it starts working then all you need is a new plug, which you can get from any wreckers.
If its still not working it's the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or possibly the cluster.

Before you try the foil strips try just disconnecting and reconnecting the plug and push hard on it when you plug it back in.

will do thanks nickk :)

ECU-MAN
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks nickk. i thought that was the speedo sensor. how can i test if thats my problem??

Sorry if this is in the wrong section can mods move it if it is..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68441

LowEk
06-08-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68441

Thanks man :)

LowEk
06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
as thought its throwing code 17. now just to locate one cheap enough.. $230 new genuine...

nickk
06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
wreckers! Pretty sure most civic vss's are interchangeable.

LowEk
06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
wreckers! Pretty sure most civic vss's are interchangeable.

yeh its kinda hard as i live in north qld and the only parts wreckers have up here are all bogan holdens and fords...

markismaximus
06-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Pretty sure most civic vss's are interchangeable.

not the case, auto and manual are different. EG - EK have different mounting points also. D-series boxes also differ from B-series. D's have plastic gears and B's are metal

SHOGUNOVDDRK
06-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Troy, Darryl and I are heading to boss tomorrow.

I can keep an eye out for you.

ECU-MAN
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
not the case, auto and manual are different. EG - EK have different mounting points also. D-series boxes also differ from B-series. D's have plastic gears and B's are metal

the VSS itself is the sensor that is removeable from the VSS drive that goes into the gearbox, so you can interchange them.

only the VSS that is one compleate unit ( solid 1 peice black plastic v 2 peice aluminium ) is not interchangable from MT to AT

nickk
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM

lol obviously manual would be different to auto but as ecu man said, you can chop and change more or less.

LowEk
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
ECU-MAN honda said there was 2 different model VSS's for my car and the difference was the plugs between the Denso and some other brand do you know what the difference is?? cos im going to try get a second hand one and i dont want to get the wrong one...

ECU-MAN
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM
I have only ever seen one connector type on the VSS itself, the 3 pin connector. and to the best of my knowledge they are all wired the same

LowEk
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I have only ever seen one connector type on the VSS itself, the 3 pin connector. and to the best of my knowledge they are all wired the same

ok thanks man.