PDA

View Full Version : H22A civic experiance!!!

honda_b_blastn
31-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Finished doing my H22A conversion into my 93 EG civic hatch about 3 weeks ago and thought i would do a write up,i learnt alot from the swap..

Parts i Used/replaced:
Hasport mounting kit
Hasport stage 2 drive shafts
JDM h22a engine and gearbox
Walbro gss341 intake fuel pump
custom built clutch by Direct clutch
Davies craig 12 inch fan
Custom built radiator
Replaced: vavle cover gasket,filters,water pump,timing belt,intake manifold gasket,exhaust manifold gasket,balance shafts belt,sump gasket,spark plugs,spark plug tube gaskets,all oils,fluids ect.

1st remove bonnet,front fenders,front bar,front suspension,radiator,battery,drive shafts,brakes,air con(if applicable).Basically everything surrounding the engine/gearbox.Now very important...mark every electrical connector before removal mark them with tape and a marker both ends of the connection(on the engine side of the harness and the ecu side of the harness).Once all the brackets,pumps are removed get your engine crane and losely support the engine.Remove the mounts and take the weight with the crane.Now its out with the old and in with the new..
Since your engine is out it probly wouldnt be a bad idea to respray the engine bay,i sprayed mine black..,if however u dont do this a quick clean would be sufficent. Remove your complete exhaust system due to the prelude headers being alot longer then the original ones,so the whole exhaust needs to come off and replaced with a decent exhaust!. Now with the hasport mounting kit it requires you to cut off the drivers side gearbox mount,below your suspension tower.Also if you want to keep power steering you have to cut a scollap out near your passenger head light,or use a 97 up pump n bracket from a lude.I Installed the Hasport rear mount bracket before putting the engine in.Alot easier this way,I also jacked the car right up and moved the car onto the engine when installing,alot easier to line up the mounts this way.Once all the mounts have lined up and are losely bolted into place,leave that for now and start with the wiring.. I used my standard civic engine harness and adapted it to the prelude engine. Had to extend alternator power wire/change injector clips and extend injector wires.Now very important! if you use the standard H22A peak n hold injectors u MUST use the injector resistor box this must be wired into the system there should be 4 coloured wires and 4 black wires on your h22a injector clips..the four coloured wires join to the original injector coloured wires in the civic engine harness.So solder them together,Now the four black wires from the injector clips go together with the four wires coming from the injector resistor box,doesnt matter which ones.once thats all sorted find a 12v IGNITION feed and tap the red wire from the resistor box into that,extend knock sensor wires,add 3 wires for O2 sensor,add wires for EGR lift sensor and soleniod system.Also with your reverse light selector in your box i used the civic one out of my d15b vtec gear box and used that on the h22a box,works fine there exactly the same.I also used the civic slave cyclinder due to clearance issues,this also is a straight bolt swap,only needing one hole to be drilled in the bracket to fit.

O2 sensor -add 3 wires to O2 sensor and follow o2 wires and change to Prelude O2 sensor connector. And wire the following,it also depends what model civic you have.

WHT - WHT/RED wire goes to D14 which is O2 Sensor Input
BLK - ORG/BLK wire goes to A6, which is Heater Control
GRN - GRN/WHT wire goes to D22 which is Sensor Ground
BLK - YEL/BLK wire goes to A25 which is Sensor voltage (you can also splice into the power junction harness at the driver side shock tower harness)

VTEC wiring:
There will be two available slots at the shock tower harness. You just need to simply salvage a male and female pin from an unused plug, and add the pins to the connector for the factory look.

- Add one wire from the VTEC Solenoid (grn/wht wire) to the A4 pinout at the ECU. Add the pin to the shock tower harness, and female pin at the female shock tower connector.

- Add one wire from the VTEC Oil pressure sensor (blk/blu wire) to the D6 pinout, and the other wire which is VTEC oil pressure ground. Simply splice (while soldering!) this to the thermostat ground on the engine harness.

Knock sensor wiring: (mounted at the rear of the engine near the cylinder head) Do the same for the male/female pins at the shock tower harness. There will be one available slot for this. Wire this from the KS to the D3 pinout (for OBD1)

Air Intake Bypass solenoid (secondary butterflies)

- Sensor voltage to the A25 pinout (or splice into the Yel/Blk wire connector at the driver shock tower harness.
- ECU Signal leading to A17 pinout on ECU

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) System:

- EGR lift valve solenoid - sensor voltage (A25 pinout) & ECU signal to A11
- EGR lift sensor - sensor voltage (A25 pinout), ground (D22 pinout) & ECU sensor signal to D12

Note: EGR is only to be wired up if you also use a P13 ECU. If you use a P28, P72, etc, then the ECU does not look for the EGR and therefore the sensor will be useless. So don't waste your time if you use another ECU.

Your engine harness is ready to be installed on your engine.. it would probably be alot easier putting the harness on the engine out of the car however getting the right wire lengths for the extending wires that were needed was alot easier when the engine was in the car.Well the engine is in,harness is on,now its time for the gear shifter fun!

Because civic and tegs use bars to shift gears and preludes use cables you have to do abit of cutting..Ive got pictures of it all if anyone needs info ect.Basically your are cutting a larger hole for the prelude sCU does not look for the EGR and therefore the sensor will be useless. So don't waste your time if you use another ECU.

Your engine harness is ready to be installed on your engine.. it would probably be alot easier putting the harness on the engine out of the car however getting the right wire lengths for the extending wires that were needed was alot easier when the engine was in the car.Well the engine is in,harness is on,now its time for the gear shifter fun!

Because civic and tegs use bars to shift gears and preludes use cables you have to do abit of cutting..Ive got pictures of it all if anyone needs info ect.Basically your are cutting a larger hole for the prelude sste your time if you use another ECU.

Because civic and tegs use bars to shift gears and preludes use cables you have to do abit of cutting..Ive got pictures of it all if anyone needs info ect.Basically your are cutting a larger hole for the prelude sste your time if you use another ECU.

Because civic and tegs use bars to shift gears and preludes use cables you have to do abit of cutting..Ive got pictures of it all if anyone needs info ect.Basically your are cutting a larger hole for the prelude swaste your time if you use another ECU.

Because civic and tegs use bars to shift gears and preludes use cables you have to do abit of cutting..Ive got pictures of it all if anyone needs info ect.Basically your are cutting a larger hole for the prelude s gear box and used that on the h22a box,works fine there exactly the same.I also used the civic slave cyclinder due to clearance issues,this also is a straight bolt swap,only needing one hole to be drilled in the bracket to fit.

O2 sensor -add 3 wires to O2 sensor and follow o2 wires and change to Prelude O2 sensor connector. And wire the following,it also depends what model civic you have.

WHT - WHT/RED wire goes to D14 which is O2 Sensor Input
BLK - ORG/BLK wire goes to A6, which is Heater Control
GRN - GRN/WHT wire goes to D22 which is Sensor Ground
BLK - YEL/BLK wire goes to A25 which is Sensor voltage (you can also splice into the power junction harness at the driver side shock tower harness)

VTEC wiring:
There will be two available slots at the shock tower harness. You just need to simply salvage a male and female pin from an unused plug, and add the pins to the connector for the factory look.

- Add one wire from the VTEC Solenoid (grn/wht wire) to the A4 pinout at the ECU. Add the pin to the shock tower harness, and female pin at the female shock tower connector.

- Add one wire from the VTEC Oil pressure sensor (blk/blu wire) to the D6 pinout, and the other wire which is VTEC oil pressure ground. Simply splice (while soldering!) this to the thermostat ground on the engine harness.

Knock sensor wiring: (mounted at the rear of the engine near the cylinder head) Do the same for the male/female pins at the shock tower harness. There will be one available slot for this. Wire this from the KS to the D3 pinout (for OBD1)

Air Intake Bypass solenoid (secondary butterflies)

- Sensor voltage to the A25 pinout (or splice into the Yel/Blk wire connector at the driver shock tower harness.
- ECU Signal leading to A17 pinout on ECU

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) System:

- EGR lift valve solenoid - sensor voltage (A25 pinout) & ECU signal to A11
- EGR lift sensor - sensor voltage (A25 pinout), ground (D22 pinout) & ECU sensor signal to D12

Note: EGR is only to be wired up if you also use a P13 ECU. If you use a P28, P72, etc, then the ECU does not look for the EGR and therefore the sensor will be useless. So don't waste your time if you use another ECU.

Because civic and tegs use bars to shift gears and preludes use cables you have to do abit of cutting..Ive got pictures of it all if anyone needs info ect.Basically your are cutting a larger hole for the prelude s.
Now with the scallop for your power steering pump,that should be cut now,make sure you cover the engine very well,you dont want metal flying over your new install.Once thats cut install your alternator,power steering pump,power steering bottle,all the brackets ect.Install your radiator and fan,fill up your fluids if you havnt done so,bleed your brakes and clutch.
Now with the fuel lines i suggest you get a hose place to fab one up,i did a bit of fab work to make the original prelude fuel line from fuel rail to filter fit.With the intake system my original K and N pipe and pod fitted to new engine,which was good.now install your headers(torque to specs).Now with the Hasport drive shafts the driver side shaft is a complete assembly,but the passenger side you need to use the h22a intermediate shaft and then the hasport shaft fits straight into that...Now that the engine is in,all the wiring is done its time to install your suspension and brakes and put the car back on the ground. Now i STRONGLY recommend up grading your suspension and brakes,im using koni full adjustable shocks all round and integra super low kings up front and heavy duty custom king springs in the rear( car is damn low,tyres bottomed out with standard weight springs).I also have got sir-g intergra rear disks and calipers on the back(drum to disk conversion was done)Now with the height issue on hand, on 17's my sump/headers height is ok,however on 14's its stupid,So i suggest you think about your tyre/rim selection with the difference in ground clearance your going to have with the new engine compared to the old one. Hook up the ecu to the main harness and start her up!!! now if your check eninge light comes on turn it off and check which code its throwing out.this can be done by using the 2 wire connector thats under your glove box closest to the door in the rubber housing.simply get a piece of wire and join the two pin connector to make a connection,turn your key on but do not start...Now one large flash equals 10..and small flash's mean one.Search the net for this,you will find all the codes and what the are ect.Now also make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up!! All you need now is to get a custom exhaust made and get it engineered!.

AFTER THE SWAP:

the difference is amazing the torque is great,vtec kicks in soo hard in such a light car.With my suspension mods i havent noticed one bit of difference in handling in the dry but in the wet its a bit of a ice rink on the roads.quarter mile times.. well i only have done 2 runs in mine soo far... best was 14.2 at 101mile on shitty 175/65r14 tyres.thats only with 2.5inch exhuast,hi flow cat,and intake..full interior and subs,so theres heaps of room for improvement..and ALOT more room for mods..

All up with all the parts needed/replaced,engine,shipping costs,full exhaust,mod plated..It cost me $5545 on the road.

I think ive covered everything??

PIKS ADDED!!!

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=fv9w9f
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=fv9yy0
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=fv9zma
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=fva5o3
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=fva61k

og5950
31-12-2004, 04:38 PM
awesome writeup!

SiR JDM
31-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Very good write up dude... i found it very interesting to read =D

Prob not the right place but mods will move it to the article/review thread...

How long did it take? did you do it all yourself? was this your first attempt at something like this... are you a mechanic?

honda_b_blastn
31-12-2004, 05:13 PM
All up it took me 3 weeks to remove old engine,paint,install and mod plated. Yer first attempt at doing a car converiosn i did it all myself.Im a marine deisel fitter,so that helped with the knowledge,all the info i need i simply got off the net,the wiring info included..:)

z3lda
31-12-2004, 05:13 PM
just bombard him with questions james hahaha

honda_b_blastn
31-12-2004, 05:22 PM
haha nah ask away,i know when i was searching for info on the swap i couldnt get anyone's advice so im more then happy to answer any questions.

SiR JDM
31-12-2004, 05:38 PM
hahah Im just interested Niel :P

Good work mate.. marine deisel fitter... jeez... sounds intense...

Few more for ya mate.... where are you from? did you get it engineered yet?

STOCK
31-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Congratulations on your sucessfull swop! Post up some picks so i know which EG not to pick on at the lights :D

Dnation
31-12-2004, 06:51 PM
well done mate...
Yoda man...

Im still working on my conversion, but its a pathetic B16A compared to your wild H22A

Clayts
31-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Wow!...Well Done...Post Up Pics...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

crazycivic
01-01-2005, 12:39 AM
well done

MoonSha
01-01-2005, 02:41 AM
If you post up pics of your car, mask it heavily, it's well known that cops cover alot of forums looking for cars...

toE
01-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanx for taking the time to do this write-up mate. Appreciate it.
You don't happen to have some pics to go along with this write-up would u?

:)

*moved*

honda_b_blastn
04-01-2005, 10:55 PM
soz guys being busy as lately
OK
i Live in Brisbane,got John at GMR Automotive in Coorparoo to engineer the swap for me(he is a champ,i wouold recommend anyone to him)

Ill get piks up as soon as i can,ill have to send them to someone else to post up for me as i wouldnt have a clue how to.hahaha..anyone??

honda_b_blastn
04-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Specs on my car atm are:
93 jdm vti civic hatch-red
jdm h22a engine and box
Hasport mounts and drive shafts
custom clutch
2.5 mandrel exhaust with cannon
K n N intake kit
resprayed engine bay
17inch amp 5 spoke black rims with polished lip
full koni adjustables with integra front super low kings and custom (shit load stiffer) super low rear king's
Brake swap-drum to disk conversion on rear(integra sir-g rear disks and calipers) standard fronts atm
carbon bonnet
carbon rear lights
white and red interior(jdm sir front seats,standard trim,replaced soon)
and the usaul stereo gear.

Still needs alot of work but its slowly getting there. Ill try and get pictures asap..

honda_b_blastn
05-01-2005, 05:34 PM
if anyone can post up the piks for me let me know,took some today.

MoonSha
06-01-2005, 10:47 AM
It's easy to get the pictures hosted, go to http://tinypic.com browse for the pictures on your comp and hit "Host It" underneath, couldn't be more simple.

SiR CRX
08-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Can't wait to see this ;)

civlowwer
05-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Specs on my car atm are:
93 jdm vti civic hatch-red
jdm h22a engine and box
Hasport mounts and drive shafts
custom clutch
2.5 mandrel exhaust with cannon
K n N intake kit
resprayed engine bay
17inch amp 5 spoke black rims with polished lip
full koni adjustables with integra front super low kings and custom (shit load stiffer) super low rear king's
Brake swap-drum to disk conversion on rear(integra sir-g rear disks and calipers) standard fronts atm
carbon bonnet
carbon rear lights
white and red interior(jdm sir front seats,standard trim,replaced soon)
and the usaul stereo gear.

Still needs alot of work but its slowly getting there. Ill try and get pictures asap..

Hey mate great write up, just wondering on ur final price something like $5500, was wondering if that include the suspension work aswell?

As i might be looking at doing this swap soon and i have already done my suspension with fully adjustable coilovers, camber kit and so on, so i was wondering how much did it cost u with everything but suspension and brakes.

many thanks in advance

might call on u some time 4 more help.

Damien

28RAG
06-09-2005, 05:35 PM
another different idea for your car Damien...tsk tsk

MR-VTEC
06-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey mate great write up, just wondering on ur final price something like $5500, was wondering if that include the suspension work aswell?

As i might be looking at doing this swap soon

might call on u some time 4 more help.

Damien

really:rolleyes:.............:p

civlowwer
06-09-2005, 07:46 PM
another different idea for your car Damien...tsk tsk
Yes dave yes

really:rolleyes:.............:p
yeah thinking about it, as i might not have time for the b16a turbo setup as new laws (MIGHT) be coming in soon and if i can't turbo then i will N/A a h22a and work it. after seeing urs richo, alot of power can be made, got one question tho, do u have power steering and A/C, i need A/C :)

MR-VTEC
06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
no air con.....

if you actually do get around to doing the conversion i'd recommend going with a b18c instead as it will be an easier swap, there are more aftermarket parts and as seen by ben's it doesnt take much to get em making power.

civlowwer
07-09-2005, 08:57 AM
no air con.....

if you actually do get around to doing the conversion i'd recommend going with a b18c instead as it will be an easier swap, there are more aftermarket parts and as seen by ben's it doesnt take much to get em making power.

it all depends on money atm, as i dont have the money 4 a b18 type r, so a h22a might be better off for me atm.

MR-VTEC
07-09-2005, 09:59 AM
dont know if you thought of this but it'll work out a lot closer than you think at the end. just cause the motor is cheaper, doesnt mean its gonna be a cheaper conversion.

and trust me it will be a hell of a lot harder to put a h in there compared to a b. also you'll have to say goodbye to your lowrider styles because you'll wipe your sump off in about 5m of driving the thing, have you thought of that.

do some research save some money then decide......

honda_b_blastn
07-09-2005, 10:32 AM
no the $5500 didnt include the suspension.Since i wrote this up ive changed my setup again.Now suing bilstien coilovers,cucsco pillow ball top hats.12kg front springs and 10kg rear springs.

katanadave
07-09-2005, 10:35 AM
How does the thing handle?

MR-VTEC
07-09-2005, 10:53 AM
they can be made to handle quite well with enough money although their not exactly the ideal option for a 'track car'.

honda_b_blastn
07-09-2005, 01:23 PM
mine handles fine.with the suspension i have tho.very rigid.
the H is a BOLT IN SWAP using mounts and driveshafts from Hasport like i did.So its the same as using a b series.the wiring is the only part that needs to be altered,which wasnt too hard.i know of 2 others getting around that used the standard prelude mounts+ re-locating the civic mountig brackets.However ive had to replace one of cars mounts twice so far for him,the stress on the mount due to the bracket re-locating is too much for the standard mounts.

MR-VTEC
07-09-2005, 01:34 PM
clear your pm box man.

honda_b_blastn
07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Cleared

h22a accord
07-09-2005, 06:58 PM
good work, reminds me a bit of when i did my h22a conversion...i got all the info off the net too but its a lot easier to put a h22a in an accord.

Paul1985
07-09-2005, 07:30 PM
great work dude..
when getting something like this engineered, do u get it engineered after the swap is finished or before u put the engine in?

honda_b_blastn
07-09-2005, 07:45 PM
after the swap...how would they do it before??

GReY_CVC
22-09-2005, 10:26 AM
nice work!!. ..... would it have been easier to do a h22a swap in an ek or a cvc coupe?? very similar??.. same costs??

kayot1k
22-09-2005, 08:32 PM
pics bro

honda_b_blastn
02-10-2005, 10:50 AM
It would involve the same work,need different mounts and driveshafts then the ones i have tho.very similar and same costs.

nice work!!. ..... would it have been easier to do a h22a swap in an ek or a cvc coupe?? very similar??.. same costs??

honda_b_blastn
02-10-2005, 10:52 AM
pics bro

Car is a rolling shell atm,no point in pics.

honda_b_blastn
19-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Piks added on first post guys..hope you enjoy,thats all i got atm,as the engines out of the car atm.

quangsta
19-11-2005, 03:02 PM
that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! both write and ur car (guessing will be anymore seeing as its only the shell) =)

ur ride is gangsta yO!!

h22a jdm
26-12-2005, 02:53 PM
It would involve the same work,need different mounts and driveshafts then the ones i have tho.very similar and same costs.

is the ek engine bay the same as the gen 2 crx

94_Accord
27-12-2005, 03:17 AM
well done man, congrats... that thing must hammer :)

JESPER
27-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Where abouts did you get the Hasport gear??

honda_b_blastn
27-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Where abouts did you get the Hasport gear??

I got them from states.....Hasport.com

honda_b_blastn
27-12-2005, 11:34 AM
well done man, congrats... that thing must hammer :)

Thanks champ.Yer goes well,but like everything you get used to it...more i need more! haha

JESPER
27-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I got them from states.....Hasport.com

Haha, thats what I wasnt hoping. Dont suppose you know of anyone in Oz then??

Oh, sorry for not sayin earlier....Well done :thumbsup:

honda_b_blastn
28-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Not that i kow of champ,im pretty sure there is someone on here thats a dealer for Hybrid racing products,they make good mounts,wiring looms,driveshafts ect.Pretty sure its dynodave??

JESPER
29-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Now that you mention it, it does ring a bell...thanks mate, Ill hit him up n see how it goes

paps02
24-11-2008, 07:02 PM
i have low king sprngs in a ek. im gettin a h22a put in but i dont know what to do about extractors, im scared(very) about fuking them up.... i have 17"rims as i read u said its ALRIGHT...

will the springs i have be too low with the extra weight do you think?
im thinking very hard about xforce extractors but want to know if theyl clear or not(in their standard form)

paps02
24-11-2008, 07:03 PM
wow 2005 lol

Krisi-G
24-11-2008, 09:27 PM
DC-sports make sum nice headers i had them on my f20b....4-2-1...give it more torque and there not to bad up high also ... helps with the pitch

SuiJin
24-11-2008, 09:39 PM
i saw this write up on another forum, when i was planning to do the swap ==

paps02
25-11-2008, 08:29 AM
DC-sports make sum nice headers i had them on my f20b....4-2-1...give it more torque and there not to bad up high also ... helps with the pitch

so did you find the aftermarket headers were lower or higher(in ground clearance) then OEM headers?

sno
31-10-2009, 12:30 PM
how much did this cost o_o