PDA

View Full Version : benefits of installing a integra type r brake booster on an eg civic?

pana
07-08-2010, 08:45 PM
hey all,

just wondering the benefits if performing this is? i know it seems like a dumb question but if i tried to answer it i'd be guessing, so i'm after some facts.

cheers peeps.

riruiz_88
08-08-2010, 08:07 AM
you would normally do this if you:
1) upgraded to bigger brakes
2) upgraded to discs from drums in the rear

it would be a awsome mod to do. only thing is you should really rebuild it cause you dont know the internal condition of it and the hard lines would need to be bent slightly because it different to an EG.
what will really annoy you is taking out the brake booster/master cylinder out of the engine bay, not much room to wiggle it out.
also make sure when you have put in the new brake booster/master cylinder to bleed the whole braking system.

lsvtec
08-08-2010, 09:46 AM
i changed my brake booster when i did my conversion, made it much easier, more room.

Tai
08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
more room? please explain.

lsvtec
08-08-2010, 10:05 AM
well i had a whole engine bay to stand in.

bennjamin
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
the ITR booster/master cylinder combo is only needed when you have the ITR front and rear brakes , plus the correct 4 discs proportioner ofcourse.
Anything less , its not needed. IE running EK4/EM1/DC2 brakes

markismaximus
08-08-2010, 10:14 AM

as in he had more room during installation as the engine was out. not he had more room around the booster after it was installed

pana
09-08-2010, 07:59 AM
so in other words its only really something to consider when going all out on a car.

riruiz_88
09-08-2010, 08:28 AM
na you could do it now man, do you have discs all round?
its just that if you use a bigger master cylinder/booster on smaller calipers, then there could be a chance that the seals in the small calipers wont be able to handle the larger pressures from the bigger cylinder/booster. not sure if this is true, just an opinion.

mocchi
09-08-2010, 09:34 AM
hey all,

just wondering the benefits if performing this is? i know it seems like a dumb question but if i tried to answer it i'd be guessing, so i'm after some facts.

cheers peeps.

on a stock caliper? i won't consider it as a benefit but the effect is shorter pedal travel at the expense of harder pedal pressure. common misconception is that bigger bmc will give more pressure.
with same amount of pedal travel, bigger bmc will deliver less pressure to brake caliper piston.
http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

the reason i would upgrade to bigger bmc is when i replace my stock caliper with bigger unit like EK9/98+ ITR calipers or bigger. this is because if i don't upgrade to bigger bmc, my pedal travel will be excessive and it will be soft (mushy pedal). again because smaller bmc will deliver more pressure, but you need to give more pedal travel to displace more brake fluid to move brake caliper piston.
http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/brakes/ (calculation to prove bigger bmc deliver less pressure)

to get balanced braking system (no spongy or too firm pedal), in the case of upgrading to EK9/DC2 98+ ITR brake calipers, i suspect the EK9/DC2 98+ ITR pedals would have different pedal ratio to match the bigger bmc.
this is something that i need confirmation since i don't have EK9/DC2 98+ ITR pedals.

thanks for asking the question, made me learn something new. +rep for you. :thumbsup:

eg6sir
09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
hey all,

cheers peeps.

Replacing ITR MC on a standard EG won't be beneficial, standard EG use a 13/16" or 7/8" MC and small calipers, putting a 1" MC will give you very firm brake pedal. only time you need a bigger MC is after performing a brake upgrade with larger calipers, which require more fluid to push the pistons. also be aware ITR MC will have a different bolt patten to the factory EG brake booster, so if you do decide to use a ITR MC, make sure you get the ITR brake booster too.

Samm928
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM

well i had a whole engine bay to stand in.

lawlww;;;

pana
11-08-2010, 06:15 PM
i'm learning to dude, cheers for the rep point!