PDA

View Full Version : Y4 tranny is P4A/B000

VTECnique
07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
As im getting a new box fitted to my EK1, i took a closer look at the manual gearbox thats currently in the car. stock standard.

For some reason, I was always under the impression that the D16Y4 was fitted with the A000 (small bearing) trans. It turns out, I was wrong. Stamped in the casing above the filler hole, is P4A/B000 (big bearing).

Most yank honda forums also say this is the same code stamped on the D16Y8. I find this rather odd, because since both gearboxes are the same (bar the Y8 has a slightly higher final drive), wouldnt that make the clutch sizes the same? Exedy australia's measurements for the Y4s clutch state to be 12mm shorter OD compared to the Y8. Going from those readings, i just assumed the Y4 had the A000 box.

Also another thing, underneath the filler hole, is stamped 95. I cannot seem to find any information regarding this, but im under the impression this gearbox was taken from a 95 model. but up the front where the vin code thing is, it stated its a S40. S20 - 92-95 & S40 - 96-00. The plot thickens....