PDA

View Full Version : Racing pedals - illegal in NSW?

Alvis
08-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi guys,

I've been reading on a few forums that it can be illegal to install racing pedals if they didn't come with the car from the factory - can anyone confirm this is true?

I was thinking about a Mugen pedal set (clip ons) but I don't want to get them if they are illegal and would void my insurance if I was involved in an accident.

Thanks,

niiCk
08-08-2010, 11:56 PM
to be legal, i think it has to have some rubber on it(like rubber strips across it)
mugen ones dont..so i dont think its legal

EK1 Civic
09-08-2010, 12:06 AM
r u fking kidding me? pedals are now illegal? far out wats the point of owning a car now... should get bikes and the next thing you know theres a 5km speed limit... seriously wtf LOL. Is this the same for Melbourne?

TheSaint
09-08-2010, 01:00 AM
mugen pedals are a million times more grippy than stock ... thats a dumb rule

RR-04-RR
09-08-2010, 01:15 AM
r u fking kidding me? pedals are now illegal? far out wats the point of owning a car now... should get bikes and the next thing you know theres a 5km speed limit... seriously wtf LOL. Is this the same for Melbourne?

Everything is basically illegal, well anything modified from factory

WATAJK
09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
No... the second poster had the right idea.. the rule is it MUST have 60-70% rubber... (Little ball points of rubber etc etc)
If it has graphite which is a gripping compund then it would meet ADR standards aslong as it's high quality so im sure Mugen Pedals would be fine.

The rubber is to prevent slippage so will basically cover your own ass if you get in your car after you've been through the rain/puddles etc

Hope it helps :D

Mr_will
09-08-2010, 07:55 AM

correct. because the pedals are not standard equipment, they are illegal. i'm not saying I agree or disagree with this - just stating the fact

niiCk
09-08-2010, 10:50 AM

what he said..

dougie_504
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah they need to be rubber, and if the rubber on your stock pedal is too worn out from driving then it won't pass RWC either.

You can probably get away with it though - who the hell checks your pedals?

EK1 Civic
09-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah they need to be rubber, and if the rubber on your stock pedal is too worn out from driving then it won't pass RWC either.

You can probably get away with it though - who the hell checks your pedals?

There are cops that check your shifter to make sure it has all the gear numbers etc on it. They can canary you for having one with a design not listing all the gears etc... sigh -.-"

niiCk
09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
There are cops that check your shifter to make sure it has all the gear numbers etc on it. They can canary you for having one with a design not listing all the gears etc... sigh -.-"

yeah thats obvious, always been like that

EK1 Civic
09-08-2010, 08:15 PM
yeah thats obvious, always been like that

Well sry mr i just found out recently =/ so pow!

mugen_ctr
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
not true mate, as long as u got a placard/sticker that states what gears, shift pattern etc, should be fine man... my previous ride, 180sx stock shifter didnt have the h-pattern and number on the gear nob, only a sticker on the centre console, so im gonna assume what i said, should be fine.

EK1 Civic
09-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Im talking about without a sticker, just plain shifter without the layout.

dougie_504
09-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Last time I got a RWC this young kid was ticking stuff off and was telling me that my gear knob wouldn't pass the RWC, then the shop company owner told him to forget about it and just gimme the RWC haha.

Honestly though, if you need the number on the stick then you clearly can't drive a manual car anyway. If I'm unsure I just feel around the gear stick before starting the car...sigh...

Alvis
10-08-2010, 08:34 AM

You can't be serious...??? Would like to know the reasoning behind that one... SO, if they defect you would you get a fine or a warning? Anyone been fined for this?

burak213
10-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Last time I got a RWC this young kid was ticking stuff off and was telling me that my gear knob wouldn't pass the RWC, then the shop company owner told him to forget about it and just gimme the RWC haha.

Honestly though, if you need the number on the stick then you clearly can't drive a manual car anyway. If I'm unsure I just feel around the gear stick before starting the car...sigh...

as you know not all cars are 5 speed, and reverse gears are located either near the 1st gear or near 5th/6th

also

i pulled out the rubbers on my racing pedal, cause i liked the all metal look lol

Alvis
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
as you know not all cars are 5 speed, and reverse gears are located either near the 1st gear or near 5th/6th

Good point. Didn't think of that... But seriously any person with half a microcell kinda knows European cars reverse gear are near 1st and Asian cars are near 5th/6th... who are these people lol

kera_1
10-08-2010, 01:04 PM
well its actually to make sure that when you drive the pedals don't get caught or stuck in its position...i've seen it been done before, some guy had some aftermarket pedals put on top of the originals and it came loose which made the brake pedal completely unable to be depressed...which means you just cant stop! like the razo ones which you just slip on... but if u go and change the whole thing like the ek9 ones with the rubber grips you should be fine...^^ hope this helps... but yer out of personal opinion after market pedals really puts a question mark on my head... but yer what ever you put on your car makes you happy is your choice and at the end of the day its your fault if you get caught.

dougie_504
10-08-2010, 01:30 PM

also

i pulled out the rubbers on my racing pedal, cause i liked the all metal look lol

Main point is that if you can't tell if you're in a forward gear or reverse then you shouldn't drive a manual anyway...

Alvis
10-08-2010, 02:00 PM
well its actually to make sure that when you drive the pedals don't get caught or stuck in its position...i've seen it been done before, some guy had some aftermarket pedals put on top of the originals and it came loose which made the brake pedal completely unable to be depressed...which means you just cant stop! like the razo ones which you just slip on... but if u go and change the whole thing like the ek9 ones with the rubber grips you should be fine...^^ hope this helps... but yer out of personal opinion after market pedals really puts a question mark on my head... but yer what ever you put on your car makes you happy is your choice and at the end of the day its your fault if you get caught.

Yeh, the EK9 ones are sweet. I made some enquiries and even if you install the EK9 JDM pedal assembly (that's the only way you can buy them) I was advised I will need an engineering certificate to certify it's safety - at the end of the day your pedals are the only part of the car which allows you to accelerate and stop; so I think it's a case of change pedals at your own risk unless you go down the road of an engineering certificate (not cheap I might add either!).

No ones going to see them anyway - better off to get that nice blue lighting the new Civic's have in footwells - that looks nice IMO :)

Alvis
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Official response below from Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government:

Basically they say there is no ADR regarding foot pedals, however they advise it's best to get in touch with relevant state transport body to confirm legality.

blabla
30-09-2010, 09:24 PM
DEFECT ladies and gentleman i tried to get a blue slip today the failed and one of the reasons was pedals. :( fbs

Alvis
30-09-2010, 09:46 PM
ohh.. that sucks.. what brand of pedals do you have? do they have rubber on them?

blabla
30-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Monza ye with rubbers

mugen_ctr
30-09-2010, 09:56 PM
not passin on the grounds of pedals? lol sounds stupid as.... yea what pedals do u have screwed in?

m!ke
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
sorry to bring back an old thread but i just wanted to clarify if pedals such as these are illegal or legal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-MUGEN-MT-PEDALS-EK4-S2000-NSX-DC2-EK9-DC5-EG6-DC5-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aCivicQ7cYearQ3a199 9QQhashZitem27b57043c5QQitemZ170547758021QQptZMoto rsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4546wt_1 165

If they are legal, do I have to notify insurance company? or any other things I will need done?

m!ke
09-10-2010, 09:59 PM
bump :honda:

THEEYA
09-10-2010, 10:05 PM
bump :honda:

There needs to be rubber on it to be deemed legal.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

cracker
12-10-2010, 06:20 AM
this is most certainly a safety rule, was sitting at thornleigh maccas one day and guy was driving pretty slowly and suddenly rammed in2 the back of someone, upon further investigation, he'd come to brake, his clip on pedal had slipt off therefore causing foot to slip off brake therefore not allowing him 2 stop.