PDA

View Full Version : Is this civic a good buy?

Nic68
11-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I am soon going to p plates and am looking for my first car, my dads mate has had a 1990 civic since it was 1-2 years old and he is going to probally take it to the wreckers unless i take it off him for $200-$250, ive had a quick look at it and it says GL or GX or something on the back. but im not sure what model it is, it has a 1.5l not sure if its duel or reg carb but it is a carb. the car itself has 500,000 k's on it but there is no rust and a micro ding on left fender else all body is straight. paint is good cond with fade on the roof, interioris good condition. Known they guy for 20 years or so and lets just say he takes care of his stuff, the engine is pretty much dead as it runs very rich and uses a lot of fuel.

being on p plates id either have to put in a D15 from wreckers which is around 550 or try find a D16a8.

as far as i know those are the only engine a p plater can swap in cause there the factory oz choices.

thanks im new here so hey everyone.

kcokla
11-08-2010, 03:36 PM
sounds like a good buy to me.

a D15 is extremely cheap, can probably pick one up on this forum for perhaps even cheaper(if your lucky!)

in relation to the swap though, - just be prepared!

itg33k
11-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Great buy I would say.
Just recently picked one up myself, ED 1991, has aircon/ ps/ power windows the works.
Like yours, paint on my roof has faded aswell.

Nic68
11-08-2010, 05:14 PM
yer im pretty sure the only motors i can put in are the D15B4 and the D16A8, so id probs buy the first one of them that pops up assuming there affordable.

Hopefully i can do the swap, ive never done a swap before but this car would be the best to learn on. I might try painting it myself as well.

grifty
11-08-2010, 05:50 PM
the D16A8 is fuel injected where as the engine currently in the car is carburettor. If you were to do the D16 swap it would mean you would need to convert the car to fuel injection would mean alot of work and parts. If you dont have alot of money then stick with the stock replacement engine as it will take you the least amount of time and it would also be the cheapest option.

Nic68
11-08-2010, 05:54 PM
ah ok didnt think of all the extra work for fuel injection. brisbane import motors has a D15B for sale for $550, but im not sure if i can put that in as a p plater cause i think i need to put in the same motor which is a D15B4... or do you think id be able to put in the D15B, what do you guys recon?

WA-EG
11-08-2010, 11:34 PM
ah ok didnt think of all the extra work for fuel injection. brisbane import motors has a D15B for sale for $550, but im not sure if i can put that in as a p plater cause i think i need to put in the same motor which is a D15B4... or do you think id be able to put in the D15B, what do you guys recon?

I would think if you were replacing a stock 1.5 with another stock 1.5 there wouldnt be any dramas.

The other problem with swapping to a fuel injected model, you would need to run fuel return lines and also sort out an ECU and electrical system. To much hassle on a small budget.

jdm_b16a
12-08-2010, 08:14 AM
My dads mate has had a 1990 civic since it was 1-2 years old and he is going to probally take it to the wreckers unless i take it off him for $200-$250

It is an ED6 Civic which was manufactured from 1989 to 1991, when the model was upgraded to the EG. This is a Series 2 as the earlier Series 1 ED was only made in 1988, and you can tell the difference visually by looking at the indicators in the front bumper bar- the Series 1 has small indicators, and the Series 2 has wider ones that reach all the way to the inside grille area in the bumper bar. If the car is a genuine one owner that is good and the price is fair if it is in good order. So, there's a little bit of history for you.

I've had a quick look at it and it says GL or GX or something on the back. but im not sure what model it is, it has a 1.5l not sure if its duel or reg carb but it is a carb.

It is a GL and it is a 1.5L twin carb engine - that was standard in all Australian delivered cars. The JDM models were more upmarket and performance orientated, including the Series 1 B16A. The D15B7 is fuel injected.

The car itself has 500,000 k's on it but there is no rust and a micro ding on left fender else all body is straight. paint is good cond with fade on the roof, interioris good condition.

It would be pretty tired if it has 500,000kms on it. The suspension, the rubber bushes, brakes, etc would all need to be replaced. Same for the engine. So although the initial buying price is attractive, the amount of money you would have to spend just to bring it up to serviceable use could be more than you can outlay given your age and financial status. Be aware of that.

Known the guy for 20 years or so and lets just say he takes care of his stuff, the engine is pretty much dead as it runs very rich and uses a lot of fuel.

This is a good thing. If you know the history of the car, and that it has been looked after and serviced regularly. However, my initial comment on things that will definitely need to be replaced still stands.

Being on p plates Id either have to put in a D15 from wreckers which is around 550 or try find a D16a8. As far as i know those are the only engine a p plater can swap in cause there the factory oz choices.

You are in Queensland so I'm not sure of the local rules but I'm pretty sure you have what's called a "mod plate" which has to be affixed to the car if you change it from stock. If that is the case then to enable you to get a mod plate you might have to have your car inspected by an engineer. This can also be expensive; I know some engineers down here in Sydney charge anywhere from $600 to more than $1000 for engineering services. Plus, I see you are on P Plates - this would be an added complication, I would imagine.

A replacement D15B4 can be picked up from forums like this all the time for under a $100 complete. In fact its almost impossible to even give them away. So the only way I'd be paying $500 for one would be if it has been stripped down and totally reconditioned internally with rings, pumps, etc. If you are just buying a 2nd hand engine for that money, forget it.

The D16A8 is injected and will fit but you would require a complete package including ECU, gearbox, maybe driveshafts (not sure there), engine harness, fuel pumps, fuel filters, etc and probably a brake master cylinder, etc upgrade. Plus you have to factor in the cost of taking the old engine out and installing the new one, plus wiring. Remember also, as people have suggested here, you need a carby to EFI conversion so you will need a fuel tank and pump out of something like a CRX. The only other option is to do what I did and convert the carby tank with a EG/EK fuel pump. You can use the carby hardlines for fuel. If you swap to EFI you may also need a new cluster to read the electronic speed sensor. A DA9 cluster will work.

Great buy I would say.

With everything factored in I'd have to disagree. Compare the price of all the work required to bring a 500,000kms car up to serviceable use with the price of say an EG4 with around 200,000 on the odometer, and the EG4 wins hands down.

Just recently picked one up myself, ED 1991, has aircon/ ps/ power windows the works.

Don't get me wrong - they are a great first car. I bought my eldest one for his first car. I've still got it. In fact I've owned three of these and still have two.

See the following threads for some options

Sp33 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?60796-EF5-project-4wd-turbo-sedan!)

Markismaximus (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?125120-Another-ED-build...)

DaveXR8 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?128763-ED-Civic-Restoration)

or my build thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?100695-ED-Hatch-Rebuild-Ground-Up!) for some of the work required.

Like yours, paint on my roof has faded aswell.

Not unusual. Hondas from that era (including Integra DA9 and early EGs) all exhibit symptoms associated with a break down of the clearcoat on horizontal services. My theory is that the unusually hot weather we experienced in the early 90s had something to do with it. Either that or Honda's quality control was a bit dodgy!

the D16A8 is fuel injected where as the engine currently in the car is carburettor. If you were to do the D16 swap it would mean you would need to convert the car to fuel injection would mean a lot of work and parts. If you don't have a lot of money then stick with the stock replacement engine as it will take you the least amount of time and it would also be the cheapest option.

Good advice. I fully agree. You are young, on a very limited budget and really, if you think about it, you just need a car to get you around. Don't fall into the peer pressure trap, and if you lurk on these forums be careful not to be swayed too much by all the modding that's occurring. Remember every mod made is subject to scrutiny by the authorities and may require expensive replacement with original parts if you get 'done'. Look at the number of people on here who have been caught and now want to return their cars to stock.

Ah ok. Didn't think of all the extra work for fuel injection.

A common trap for the unwary. Read through the above build threads and do some math. Add up the cost of parts and time to do these things. Make a list of everything that you think needs to be done or replaced. then ring around and get some prices. For example, just look at the cost of doing an oil change - oil, filter, some tools maybe, rags, a drip tray, a funnel to pour the oil, etc even that will cost you about $50 - $100 depending on quality of tools and oil. Remember also how much a workshop charges, by the hour, for work. It all adds up. A complete set of new bushes for your car, purchased locally, is about $450.

Brisbane Import Motors has a D15B for sale for $550, but I'm not sure if I can put that in as a p plater because I think I need to put in the same motor which is a D15B4... or do you think I'd be able to put in the D15B. What do you guys reckon?

The import motor is a D15B7? That's an EFI engine with the following specs:

Honda D15B7 Engine JDM
Displacement (cc):1493
Power (bhp@rpm):102 @ 5,900 rpm
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm):98 @ 5,000 rpm
Compression Ratio:9.2:1
Bore (mm):75
Stroke (mm):84.5
Cam Design:SOHC

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/529/2441/1321220034_large.jpg

I would think if you were replacing a stock 1.5 with another stock 1.5 there wouldn't be any dramas.

Not sure in Queensland but NSW rules say you can swap in any engine that was either standard or an option in the same model. You may also be required to do an emissions test, as well as braking and noise level tests if you make changes to your standard car. Also the engine has to be same as/newer than the one you are replacing. You can't put an older model engine into a car.

The other problem with swapping to a fuel injected model, you would need to run fuel return lines and also sort out an ECU and electrical system. To much hassle on a small budget.

You don't need to replace fuel lines. The original hardlines are more than up to the job. But, yes, ECU is required plus electrical work.

I'd think very seriously about this. By all means if you are happy with how the car is (condition-wise) then buy it. If you get 6-12 months out of it as is then, again, it is a good buy. If you have to start shelling out hard-earned immediately, think seriously. My opinion - at 500,000kms - send it to the wreckers. Sounds a shame but you have to be realistic. You never know, he may say, "OK, you can have it for nothing".

Either way, good luck.

Peter

Nic68
12-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks JDM B16A, very detailed post there and is much appreciated. I will have a closer look at the car next time it is at my place and then have another good think about it. The curent owner is thinking about getting the wreckers to do a swap for him and then hanging onto the car for another couple of years if i dont want it. So the owner seems to see another few years in the car itself.

Ill keep you guys posted on it.

EDCivic
07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
It's been over a year now so what happened ? We have one of these beauties that seem to keep going and going though ours has less k's on the clock ie 350k's

hmetro24
08-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I want to tell there is a carbie d16a8, But not in Australia