PDA

View Full Version : DIY DIY: Modify your carby motor!

tiksie
11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
please delete.

JDM-EGG
11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
now the all twin carb boys , get to work !! LOL shit what does it really do tho ? :) how much boost we talking

tiksie
11-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Updated :)

Red_EG4
11-08-2010, 07:26 PM
What benefit does the filter give?
Is there any reason why the spring was at it's original length and not the cut length?

Jono Civic
13-08-2010, 12:21 AM
hmmm... Might try this on the weekend once you have done yours.... Thanks for it.

egb16b
13-08-2010, 06:24 PM
good work!!

i've read the other thread but you've added pictures which now makes this look do-able now.

let us know how you go and what kind of increase in power is expected.

if it's worth it i'll give it a crack.

also where did you buy the filters from?? any part numbers or anything??

tiksie
13-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I'll update the thread tomorow with details on filter size and where to buy it from.

Off memory, it's from MCA in Auburn (motorcycle place) and the size was 44MM inlet (from memory ofcourse).

Power increase ? I'm not too sure, but I am getting the car dynoed (HAHA) but its cheap to get a dyno and good to get numbers for a twin carb motor :D

pablos8
16-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Did you find out exactly what the measurements were for the filter size?

16-08-2010, 12:33 PM
butt dyno always works ;)

tiksie
16-08-2010, 04:57 PM
44MM filter :)

Once I complete the EG I will be getting it dynoed, the OEM figures are:

* Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
* Bore and Stroke : 75 × 84.5 mm (3.0 × 3.33 in)
* Compression : 9.2:1
* Power : 96.5 hp (72 kW) @ 5200 rpm
* Torque : 90 ft·lbf (12.4 kg/m, 122 Nm) @ 3800 rpm
* Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
* Fuel Control : Dual Carburetor

pablos8
17-08-2010, 09:43 AM
btw tiksie, the filters are Unifilter and they're cylindrical shaped, with the cone filters they only have in a 42mm inlet :)

tiksie
17-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Hmm, I'm preety sure I got a 44MM.... But RE filter sizes, MCA had quite alot ? Or are you saying 42MM is the closest size they have ?

pablos8
17-08-2010, 02:57 PM
42MM is the closest to 44MM that cone shaped filters come, judging from your pics you got the cylindrical shaped ones from unifilter which do come in 44MM

And they're $30 a filter I think it was :)

tiksie
17-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Well that settles it than :)

Yes, $29.95 per filter.

patto14
17-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Any Mod`s For the Single Carby Pulled my Air Box Of Carby its self its lots diff

im.Kusuma
20-08-2010, 12:37 AM
just finished doing this on pablos8's EG.. omg .. tiksie -.-" u left out how many shit bro lol

Theres 2 plugs attached to the air box which needs to be unplug, and not just that, theres the steel pipes that is welded together onto a bracket which also needs to be removed and re attach the hoses once completed.

The job took me, my bro and pab's him self 5hrs ish. -.-" lol

TO OZHONDA's : DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DONT KNOW WTF YOU'RE DOING, SERIOUSLY.. AND DO NOT CUT ANY HOSES, if they're hard to take off, BE PATIENT! NOT ALL ARE VACUUM HOSES - SOME ARE FUEL LINES WHICH I ACCIDENTLY CUT lol...

Overall result - Sounds like vtec after 4000rpm - No joke. Top end was beautiful, very torquey!

Awesome mods which i will also be doing in the future (maybe).

Good luck :)

pablos8
20-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Awesome mod but tiksie you left so much out T_T

but yeah as frans stated above, follow those guidelines and tiksie's and you'll be sweet..
once again though, this is not for the faint hearted/completely inexperienced or the type of people that give up easily lols, be patient and keep at it!

nice results mid-top end :):)

tiksie
20-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Funny **** frans SMS'ing me while I'm studying at the Library LOL.

I thought it would have been straight forward for you guys to know to remove anything that's restricting you from pulling the airbox off and re-attaching them afterwards, including vac lines (and not cutting them) LOL!

Good stuff anyway :) Show us some pics.

PS: 5 HOURS with 3 people, holy crap! What were you guys doing, looking at it for 4 hours ? Shit man lol.

I did this by myself like in abit over 1 hour!

pablos8
20-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Haha well we weren't working at it non stop we took breaks and stuff but with the hoses, some of them don't re-attach and getting the carby cover off was ****ing mega pain lol it took us ages to fit the filters as well long story on that though haha

Yeah man we wanted your help we were raging lololol
One of the pretty cool things is you can hear the induction noise pretty clearly, sounds like a pod lol

Also on your pics you got a breather filter, should mention that too I gotta go get one today hahaha I got a hose going nowhere LOL

tiksie
20-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Oops! Forgot that one.

Updated :)

I got mine from supercheap for $10, they were on special lol.

What problems did you have with fitting the filters ? I bet it was mounting it onto the throats once you got it through the spacer haha.. That was the most time consuming for me.. Took ages.

Did you glue the filter inlet to the spacer ? Or just squeeze it through ?

pablos8
20-08-2010, 07:28 AM
It**** $10! Bargain! I'm gunna go look at supercheap and Robbos today haha

Well we wanted to be safe and not break off the vac line so we cut the filter to mould the pipe... eventually that didnt work so we just broke it off lol but because some of the rubber was cut it didn't sit flush.. by now were ready to set the car on fire lol it was like 12am haha so eventually we ended up gluing it and using silicone as well eugh took fkn forever cuz we had to use a spanner to tighten the bolts as well omg rage just thinking about it haha

But this is probably the best $60 I've spent on the car besides the ek centre console haha

Also with the breather filter is it a universal size? Or is there a specific size ill need to get?

tiksie
20-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Hahaha, good to hear man, my one is stuck on with gasket glue hehe :D

pablos8
20-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Is the breather filter universal size or is there a.specific size I need to get?

tiksie
20-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Universal (Y)

pablos8
20-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Universal (Y)

Mine wasn't universal :P

The 12mm mini air breather is the suited size for our engines for anyone attempting this.
I just installed it and omg what a difference?? It ran alot cleaner and smoother felt really nice :)
Can't emphasize the power gain from doing this mod hahahaha +100 to tiksie!

Although my only issue is that its seemed to of raped my fuel consumption lol!

pablos8
20-08-2010, 11:10 AM
The increased the fuel/air ratio CONSIDERABLY increases acceleration.. it also adds a nice SRI type sound and a vtec similar sound at mid to high rev range..

Probably the best $75 I've spent on the car, only other thing close for function would be the EK Centre Console.
Feel free to ask questions about the carby mod.. I'm sure tiksie, im.kusuma or myself can help :)
My only issue with it, is it seems to demolish the fuel consumption.. haha but its up to you to see whether its worth it or not :) the gains are pretty big!

heres some pics of the engine now!

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b447/jdm69r/IMAG0088.jpg

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b447/jdm69r/IMAG0089.jpg

So as you can see the filters are now open ended creating more intake, there is also more fuel being played with so the total fuel/air ratio is bigger thus creating a quicker acceleration... (I think) lols
The mini air breather is mounted directly onto the rocker cover, to my understanding there shouldn't be any issues with heat etc.. from what I've been told anyway.
You have to move the spark plug leads abit to mount it though :) It comes with a clamp, 12MM is the correct size to get and you're good to go!

now I just need a nicer looking rocker cover.... hahahaha

im.Kusuma
20-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Hahaha steph! That was a very good description *above comment* I'm looking forward to how many carby owners will do this. Its really not a bad mod for a carby.. Haha

All I could say is that this mod is worth the $75 and the time (for the time being) :p

patto14
20-08-2010, 04:26 PM
any1 help on trying this with 1.5 single carby? carby is different so yeahh

pablos8
20-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Not sure its worth doing on a single carb tbh but to my understanding I think the single carby has 2 air chambers, the second one gets used when you hit a certain rev range, probably around 4k I think, thats why you feel a little kick in that range.. I could be completely wrong here but yeah lol

From what I've heard you can take it to your mechanic or performance shop and ask them to raise the fuel/air output or something like that, but like i said, not too sure if its worth doing on a breeze

im.Kusuma
20-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Worth a try on a breeze I guess.. Do the same as the diy above but use one air filter and see the difference

pablos8
20-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Worth a try on a breeze I guess.. Do the same as the diy above but use one air filter and see the difference

its a different layout though frans, this diy won't really work on it i think, things are placed differently on it so he might get a bit confused

tiksie
20-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Not sure its worth doing on a single carb tbh but to my understanding I think the single carby has 2 air chambers, the second one gets used when you hit a certain rev range, probably around 4k I think, thats why you feel a little kick in that range.. I could be completely wrong here but yeah lol

From what I've heard you can take it to your mechanic or performance shop and ask them to raise the fuel/air output or something like that, but like i said, not too sure if its worth doing on a breeze

You are talking about the secondaries which usually open up at 4-5k RPM :)

I think it would be more wise upgrading to twin carbs.

Sounds about right in regards to fuel, and ofcourse your flooring it now haha :p

With carbs, you can either have good performance or good fuel economy.. Not both!

rey2009
20-08-2010, 11:09 PM
from pictures it looks easy so whats the 5 - 6 hours for?

tiksie would really appreciate if u could upload more pics and more detail please

im.Kusuma
20-08-2010, 11:13 PM

tiksie would really appreciate if u could upload more pics and more detail please

lolol ****en hoses getting stuck and cant reach em or hard to pull out.. shit like that

rey2009
20-08-2010, 11:14 PM
which hoses are u talking about

isnt it just 10mm bolts to remove the spacer? are u saying there was less space and hoses were coming in the way?

pablos8
20-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Sounds about right in regards to fuel, and ofcourse your flooring it now haha :p

With carbs, you can either have good performance or good fuel economy.. Not both!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha i'll admit i thrashed the fcker when it got done LOL, it ran x10 better after installing the mini air breather!

but today i drove quite normally, no spirited driving and it was a noticeable decrease in fuel economy, I also left those black things in the springs.... ill take them out tonight but have a feeling it'll decrease the fuel economy even more LOL!

lols trust me rey if you tackle this without decent knowledge of an engine let alone carby, you'll end up shits creek without a paddle

I thought the pics looked nice and easy too... till we attempted it LOL

rey2009
just finished doing this on pablos8's EG.. omg .. tiksie -.-" u left out how many shit bro lol

Theres 2 plugs attached to the air box which needs to be unplug, and not just that, theres the steel pipes that is welded together onto a bracket which also needs to be removed and re attach the hoses once completed.

The job took me, my bro and pab's him self 5hrs ish. -.-" lol

TO OZHONDA's : DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DONT KNOW WTF YOU'RE DOING, SERIOUSLY.. AND DO NOT CUT ANY HOSES, if they're hard to take off, BE PATIENT! NOT ALL ARE VACUUM HOSES - SOME ARE FUEL LINES WHICH I ACCIDENTLY CUT lol...

Overall result - Sounds like vtec after 4000rpm - No joke. Top end was beautiful, very torquey!

Awesome mods which i will also be doing in the future (maybe).

Good luck :)

culd u provide pictures?

welded? so i have to angle grind it and weld it back later:S

im.Kusuma
which hoses are u talking about

isnt it just 10mm bolts to remove the spacer? are u saying there was less space and hoses were coming in the way?

hahaha look into ur engine bay. and tell me how many vaccum hoses you can see. And not just that, jack up your car and see the hoses around the airbox which needs to be disconnected to take off the airbox.
And imagine all that with ur finger and a thumb from the top of the engine bay with limited space

rey2009
20-08-2010, 11:19 PM
fuk that i give up already loll no money no nothingg

later boys

im.Kusuma
culd u provide pictures?

welded? so i have to angle grind it and weld it back later:S

lol nah no pics.. it was done at 11pm.. no time for pics.. we were worrying more about the fuel line that i accidently cut LOL

pablos8
^ AND dismounting the harness connecting the hoses from your airbox to the vacuum lines and then reattaching it later on

Jono Civic
20-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Good... Good to see someone else do it haha. So its not impossible just tricky. I had a quick look under the bonnet tonight, gonna try it tomorrow. Did you guys cut the springs, and how many coils did you cut off?

Just read over the thread... Is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks

pablos8
20-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I cut off maybe like 1/4 coil more than tiksie... wasnt intentional just didn't really look at it properly LOL

ummm... cant think of anything else off the top of my head lols

tiksie
20-08-2010, 11:52 PM
When your removing the intake airbox and intake arm off, just make sure you don't pull anything off or cut it off, you want to keep everything intact, if it's held on by a clip just unclip it.

Whatever vaccume hose u remove or wire you remove, just re-attach after you remove the airbox off.

You need a breather for your rocker cover aswell as it's attached to your airbox.

im.Kusuma
21-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Good... Good to see someone else do it haha. So its not impossible just tricky. I had a quick look under the bonnet tonight, gonna try it tomorrow. Did you guys cut the springs, and how many coils did you cut off?

Just read over the thread... Is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks

when inserting the air filter to the throats - It'll slip in just fine but it'll slip back out. Best bet is to superglue it before u attatch the spacer onto the throat.

So.. *while the spacers are off*

1. You insert the bolts
2. Superglue the neck of the air filter
3. Quickly insert it in onto the spacer - Dont insert it too much, u want the surface to be equally flat as the spacer to fit in nicely to the carby throats.
4. wait till its dry
5. Slowly bolting the spacer + air filter with a size 10 spanner. Each bolt will take u around 5mins ish.. Just be patient .

JDM-EGG
21-08-2010, 10:56 AM
OHOH SHIT carby ITB's looks pretty sick ! LOL

tiksie
21-08-2010, 02:03 PM
:) :)

egb16b
23-08-2010, 07:17 PM
nice work dudes...fck makes me wanna do it now.

next service im gonna do it!! let you know how it goes.

i had a look around and i think you can buy a 44mm filter from k&n.. the part number is RU-2570 but not 100% sure on that. i'll let you know when i try and order it.

AND i think you can also purchase a spacer with a snout so you can bolt the filter on instead of using super glue..found it on ebay..but dunno if it'll work or not.
search dual carb on ebay and you should find it. But i dunno if it'll fit or not..i'm not gonna bother with it though i'm gonna use gasket glue instead.

anyway let you know how i go!

im.Kusuma
23-08-2010, 07:19 PM
nice work dudes...fck makes me wanna do it now.

next service im gonna do it!! let you know how it goes.

i had a look around and i think you can buy a 44mm filter from k&n.. the part number is RU-2570 but not 100% sure on that. i'll let you know when i try and order it.

AND i think you can also purchase a spacer with a snout so you can bolt the filter on instead of using super glue..found it on ebay..but dunno if it'll work or not.
search dual carb on ebay and you should find it. But i dunno if it'll fit or not..i'm not gonna bother with it though i'm gonna use gasket glue instead.

anyway let you know how i go!

before you use gasket glue, stick it on with superglue first then use the gasket glue once the super glue is dry :)

I tried using a gasket glue and putting it around the neck of the filter and insert it into the spacer.. it just kept on flipping back out =/ so i advise u to use super glue first

tiksie
23-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I used gasket glue and adapted the spacer on the filter before putting it onto the throats! Worked a treat but look abit bessy.

I would think that the superglue wouldn't react good with heat hence why I didn't use that option.

im.Kusuma
23-08-2010, 07:47 PM
meh.. i applied gasket glue after the superglue was dry lol

egb16b
24-08-2010, 07:38 PM
yeah wouldn't the super glue melt from the heat or sumshit??

so it's working fine for you kusuma??

im.Kusuma
24-08-2010, 08:15 PM
yeah wouldn't the super glue melt from the heat or sumshit??

so it's working fine for you kusuma??

Yeah man, works fine.. Like I said, I applied the gasket glue once the superglue was dry. I used the super glue just so the air filter will stick on the same place that I positioned. I tried using gasket glue before, the filter just kept on slipping back out of the spacer

MikeyG
24-08-2010, 08:57 PM
can i do this for my b18c? :p

egb16b
25-08-2010, 08:00 PM
i'll give it a go this weekend n let you know how it goes.

beeza
25-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Good stuff Tiks!

gas
31-08-2010, 12:54 AM
might be attemping a single carby mod similar to this..... well see how i go
one problem i can see already is the filters u guys are useing wont clear the bonnet (throttle body faces upward)
ill do abit more research as well

im.Kusuma
31-08-2010, 01:01 AM
might be attemping a single carby mod similar to this..... well see how i go
one problem i can see already is the filters u guys are useing wont clear the bonnet (throttle body faces upward)
ill do abit more research as well

ur's is a breeze?

you can get those sponge filter replacement from supercheap - The material used on HKS JDM MUSHROOM filters ...

cut that into shape as the spacer and maybe slip it in?

--v---spacer---v-- *v is the bolt*
xxxSPONGExxxx < material
_o_|throttle|_o_ *o is the hole for the bolt*

U can try that if u know what i mean?

gas
01-09-2010, 12:34 AM
ur's is a breeze?

you can get those sponge filter replacement from supercheap - The material used on HKS JDM MUSHROOM filters ...

cut that into shape as the spacer and maybe slip it in?

--v---spacer---v-- *v is the bolt*
xxxSPONGExxxx < material
_o_|throttle|_o_ *o is the hole for the bolt*

U can try that if u know what i mean?

thanks for the heads up ..... yeh its an eg4 d15 single carby
anything else ?

tiksie
03-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Get a twin carb setup and put it on your car lol.

gas
03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Get a twin carb setup and put it on your car lol.

lol is it worth it ? you rekon theres a big enough increase in power to bother ? lol
quite the effort .... +10kws yeh why not ......enything under cbf lol

im.Kusuma
03-09-2010, 10:59 PM
lol is it worth it ? you rekon theres a big enough increase in power to bother ? lol

lol 10kw.. ur dreaming.. lol
even this carby mod only like 1kw increase lol

pablos8
04-09-2010, 12:08 AM
you'll get a much more noticeable increase upgrading to a twin carby than doing this carby mod to a breeze

tiksie
04-09-2010, 08:41 AM

If you put a twin carb setup and do this mod, you will definitely feel a huge improvement dude.. I don't know about 10KW, but it will be very high compared to single carby.

Photonic_Si
10-09-2010, 06:54 PM
haha this looks dope. Im gonna do it to my mates 91 GL LOL!

mmmmChicken
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
wow i just came across the BEST power up yet that i have made to my ED. Have put on extractors, new plug leads, fresh oil etc, bit of extra timing, but this must have made a similar difference to all of these combined!!!!!
Went to do the Keihin CV carb modification as described at the start of this thread, pulled the top of the carbs off, but the whole slide and needle came out also. Tried to move them up and down but they were really stiff. Decided that before modding the spring and pulling off the plastic stopper I would clean them right up and see what would happen. After hitting the slide assembly and carby top with a good dose of carby cleaner, everything started moving substantially easier. eg. before cleaning them, the spring would not actually push the slide off the carby top, after it would fall out without the spring.
Put it all back together and far out!!! It is still a 1.5 carby but it feels just soo much quicker, massively better throttle response, engine sounds much crisper and revs up far more freely and this is before pulling out the stopper and cutting the spring!!!
It would make just good sense, even if you did not want to do the mod, to clean the carbs. It is 2 screws on top of each carb and they come off. So worth it!!! Gunna try the spring thing tomorrow

mmmmChicken
13-10-2010, 06:34 PM
hehe did the carby mod today, the little civic feels like a new beast!! There is a noticible hit in power at 4k and you can feel it pull more from 5k thru to redline. Previously there was little point revving past about 5k cos there wasnt enough extra power available to justify the revs. Cleaning the carb made it fun to rev and then doing the extra mod has made it pull almost hard above 5k (for a carby 1.5 anyway)

tiksie
13-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Good to hear mate :D

14-10-2010, 02:19 AM
hows the fuel consumption? bad?
so basically what i can gather is

cut the springs
put back together
and use unifilter..?

im doing this to my ED civic tomorrow definitely lol

mmmmChicken
16-10-2010, 09:10 AM
do it!!! couldn't tell you how it has affected my fuel economy accurately yet, as i have not yet gone thru a full tank, and most of this tank has been boot in enjoying the extra power, but it seems that it still wont be terrible. its still looking like i should somewhere 470-480kms from this tank, which is approx 40%highway 60%boot in/around town.

When you pull your carby tops off, pull the slide out also (it is the bit that the spring sits on when you pull the top off and the spring is still in the carby. it can only go back in 1 way, just dont force it in when putting back together) and see if it slides easily in the carby top. If it does not move freely, hit it whit carby cleaner till it does.

Jono Civic
16-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I cant seem to find a filter that will fit... Can anyone tell me where they got theres?
Wouldn't mind doing this weekend.

jdmEG5
29-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I cant seem to find a filter that will fit... Can anyone tell me where they got theres?
Wouldn't mind doing this weekend.

motorbike shops -

hmetro24
15-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi all, I am new here, I have :honda: Civic Sedan 1993 Gl Dual Carb d15b4 .
I Want to cut the spring inside the carb but Screws are tight .
Also I want to know what air intake size do we need to attach to the Carb, Where to get like in Melbourne .
What the cover air breather size i Need.

hmetro24
17-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Any one can help Thanks

tiksie
18-11-2010, 01:35 AM
You can get the filters from motorbike shops.

Try spraying WD40 on the keihin covers and using an cordless.

dougie_504
18-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Any idea how much extra power you can extract by doing this?

hmetro24
18-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Any idea how much extra power you can extract by doing this?

Between 10-15 hp + -

jomegal
29-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I've read over different parts of the thread a few times and am thinking about trying this on my d15b4 ED.

From what I've read this is where I'm going to get the following parts:
x2 44mm inlet foam air filter - motorbike shop
x1 12mm inlet air filter - super cheap auto

Not sure if I've read it wrong, but anyway, I'm not sure where to get the spacers from.
Also, could someone from around western Sydney suggest a motorbike shop I can buy the foam filters from?

quangsuke
30-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I've read over different parts of the thread a few times and am thinking about trying this on my d15b4 ED.

From what I've read this is where I'm going to get the following parts:
x2 44mm inlet foam air filter - motorbike shop
x1 12mm inlet air filter - super cheap auto

Not sure if I've read it wrong, but anyway, I'm not sure where to get the spacers from.
Also, could someone from around western Sydney suggest a motorbike shop I can buy the foam filters from?

just be careful....
all the people that i've heard of doing this have posted there car for sale not long after. could be a sign or something.

tiksie
30-11-2010, 08:42 AM
just be careful....
all the people that i've heard of doing this have posted there car for sale not long after. could be a sign or something.

Those kind of assumptions wont get you far in life lol....

dougie_504
30-11-2010, 11:25 AM
just be careful....

There's a chance they bought carb motor cars for efficient daily runabouts, then got addicted to power mods, then made the appropriate decision to upgrade their model :)

viinnh
30-11-2010, 06:16 PM
yo tiksie theres something wrong with my car. after the carby mod my car just keeps wanting to stall. or even stall . let say im reversing. stop shift into gear 1 just let go of the clutch a bit before i can even step a bit of gas it stalls. and some times on start up it turns on then rpm goes below 1 and turns off like its choking ?

tiksie
30-11-2010, 06:43 PM
yo tiksie theres something wrong with my car. after the carby mod my car just keeps wanting to stall. or even stall . let say im reversing. stop shift into gear 1 just let go of the clutch a bit before i can even step a bit of gas it stalls. and some times on start up it turns on then rpm goes below 1 and turns off like its choking ?

Did you cut any of your vacume lines accidently ?

How's your idle control ? Is it adjusted ?

Seems like your idle is way too low.

viinnh
30-11-2010, 07:31 PM
na didnt cut anything

my idles actaully higher then normal , well thats what my dad says. turn on about 1.5k then later goes to 1.1 ish

tiksie
30-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Idle control is normal for it to go down after it's warmed up, but 1.1ish is damn high idle for a warmed up car!

viinnh
30-11-2010, 07:47 PM
yeh i know its normal. told you it high idle not low lol. so there must be something wrong ? :O this only happened when i done the carby mod though. all i did was unplug about i think 4 or 5 hose from the air box , then took the mesh thing off and put the new filters on. then open the lid chop the springs exactly same as in the picture put back in with cut side up and slide lid back on bolt down and put hose back onto the carby lid

as for where the filters are i still got the hoses there.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1589024459086&set=a.1408986438248.53282.1640077132

jomegal
01-12-2010, 07:44 PM
If the spacers are from the carby, and I have to glue the filters to them, what am I gonna do if I want to go back to stock?

jomegal
05-12-2010, 01:32 AM
I've taken the off the airbox and mesh covering the throat, now I need a way to get those two copper pipes from each throat out of the way so i can fit the unifilter through, any tips besides grinding them off?

viinnh
05-12-2010, 07:47 AM
LOL pilers and just get a grip and bend them or use those parrot beak looking pilers and cut them off

EK1 Civic
07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
yeh i know its normal. told you it high idle not low lol. so there must be something wrong ? :O this only happened when i done the carby mod though. all i did was unplug about i think 4 or 5 hose from the air box , then took the mesh thing off and put the new filters on. then open the lid chop the springs exactly same as in the picture put back in with cut side up and slide lid back on bolt down and put hose back onto the carby lid

as for where the filters are i still got the hoses there.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1589024459086&set=a.1408986438248.53282.1640077132

adjust your idle air screw and reset ecu.

hmetro24
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
I tried to do this mod today,but too much Vacuum pipes Under the airbox. from what i have seen their are 3 upper side, 3 under the box.Should i remove all of them.Also their is a Pipe that is connect the the front of the engine to air pipe.should i remove it.What should i do with the pipes i Disconnect.And how many of them.

chinx_4eva
16-11-2011, 09:24 PM
bringing this thread back to live again LOL!
sorry just want to confirm, the foam filters we buy.. thats pretty much a replace for the intake/air box is that correct?

do you think this would be a problem if we do intent to take it for long drives, would engine heat make it not a reliable?
what would be the differences in terms of getting a cheap ebay SRI compared to the filters in terms of performance and fuel consumption?

viinnh
16-11-2011, 09:37 PM
sri does not work on a carby

hmetro24
16-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Carbie can live with hot air.

chinx_4eva
16-11-2011, 10:57 PM
i thought too until i saw peter ED build first few pictures of the bay he had a pod filter with i think an aftermarket intake arm
not sure if im wrong or not but

Peter's Thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?100695-ED-Hatch-Rebuild-Ground-Up!)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/infotechplus/EFHonda/IMG_0915.jpg

:S

EKVTIR-T
16-11-2011, 11:00 PM
sri does not work on a carby

Not true.

You can remove the oem filter from the box and run a pod and pipe

Works fine

viinnh
16-11-2011, 11:48 PM
its pointless and costs more then this. The reason this is done is because it gives direct air in 360 degree angle.

tiksie
17-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Carbies respond better with filters coming off the throats. In other words, air from 360 degrees rather than enclosed piping with a filter at the end of it.

The direct air from the filters down the throats is what makes it more responsive.

EKVTIR-T
17-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Theoretically yes I agree but Ive experienced both setups and without the stock location filter in place it performs better..
I would have freely ran against other setups for comparison but cars long gone

*individual results may vary from those expressed lol

ejsalcepuedes
28-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I tried doing this with a single carby, since I cant find a filter that would replace the air box assy, I just took off the intake arm connected to the fender well and that alone made the acceleration / throttle responsive and quicker. Went to AutoBarn and Supercheap but I can't find any universal filters to chuck on the mouth of the TB. I just bought a mini breather.

PS: it seems to make the petrol consumption a bit higher.

jdmEG5
28-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I tried doing this with a single carby, since I cant find a filter that would replace the air box assy, I just took off the intake arm connected to the fender well and that alone made the acceleration / throttle responsive and quicker. Went to AutoBarn and Supercheap but I can't find any universal filters to chuck on the mouth of the TB. I just bought a mini breather.

PS: it seems to make the petrol consumption a bit higher.

Take off the whole lot and get a bird catcher from big block Chevy lol

ejsalcepuedes
28-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Lol! popo's won't like big carburetor sticking out of the bonnet!

jdmEG5
28-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Lol! popo's won't like big carburetor sticking out of the bonnet!

Yolo lolz