PDA

View Full Version : NSW defect notice.

na-118
11-08-2010, 10:22 PM
if you have been pulled over for a roadworthy inspection by the police, and they have inspected your car and come to a conclusion that your car is too low, without using the measuring tool,

can you sort of ask/ demand them to use the measuring tool?

lsvtec
11-08-2010, 10:26 PM
im pretty sure that they cant just say the car is to low without using some sort of measuring device to prove it

na-118
11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
we'll they obviously have that's why i asked that question, its only a defect notice, don't think it' will worth mouting off cause the vehicle is fairly low...

m3ntAL_l2
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
officers can defect you upon their own discretion, no tools are required

Nepolian
12-08-2010, 07:04 PM
if you have been pulled over for a roadworthy inspection by the police, and they have inspected your car and come to a conclusion that your car is too low, without using the measuring tool,

No, considering that you can get defected without actually driving the car or speak to the officers....ask my brother who received 4 defects in 6mths.

Then again, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which car is low to require a measuring instrument!

jdm_b16a
12-08-2010, 08:05 PM
im pretty sure that they cant just say the car is to low without using some sort of measuring device to prove it

Oh yes they can. Here in NSW it happens all the time.

Peter

nikolaz01
12-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I got defected for my exhaust even when they didn't even check it with the decibel reader... mugen rep twin loop is quite as well!

But yeah no tools are required they just use common sense but some don't have any at all as they thought my radiator was an intercooler.

na-118
12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
we'll that's just odd, for an rta examiner who clears defects day in day out, were the ones who actually get the tools out, and say whether its roadworthy or not,,,

same goes with airbox without resenator and bottom box hooked up,
if the rta examiner who is inspecting it sees that the filter is covered he can't go check under it etc,

aznsiko
13-08-2010, 10:13 AM

from my previous experiences they like to measure the height of the car with your drivers license upright...

ekay1
13-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Ouch, your car must of been pretty low. Officers are getting stricter and stricter these days. They try to defect over anything possible, due to so many hoons these days. Hate it how cops target "done up" cars >< Goodluck getting out of it.

DuffyFD
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
new laws mean you're defectable if you're low enough that your wheels are tucked under your guards

ekay1
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
new laws mean you're defectable if you're low enough that your wheels are tucked under your guards

VIP stance cars are not gonna exist anymore at this rate

gReY-oNe
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
and they can defect you if they think your car shouldnt be on the road... and thats why most of them send you to get a blue slip not pink slip no more

pat88c
04-09-2010, 01:04 PM

i got pull over in morning go to work on Wednesday after work i went to Ozhonda meet

the officer notice my car was low, he said ' he notice the hieght/grap from edge of guard to my centre of my wheel is off factory spec and that why he pull me over for let me

it may be one of the way they have been told how pick a low car by driving past it
then after he pull you over he must use something to measure height in some way

On me he use a breathe tester bud (guess about 90mm long) Which was know was under the min 100mm

Example

Stock ride hieight
A big of grap
http://www.atozautolights.com/images/AutoPhotos/HOCR8891.jpg

lowed ride hight

http://www.funkotronic.com/ukdmcrx/CRX_pics/side.jpg

Alexplicit
04-09-2010, 05:49 PM
huh???

jbird
04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
PAT88c - Are you talking about the "GAP" between the wheel and the guard?

Cause if he measured that then thats wrong.

The lowest point of the car should not be less than 100mm/10cm from the ground. The lowest point is usually the mid pipe of the exhaust system

OMG.JAI xD
05-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Ongoing debate.

Defects are now a money making business. Infact all police enforcers that specifically set their mind on pulling people over and booking them for something are c0cks. Full stop.
Ive had many cops pull me over, look at the engine bay and thought I did a good job on making it as roadworthy as possible.

Making judgements on roadworthyness just by sight is not right. Just because theyre the police doesnt mean they can get away with doing sh!t like that. But they do.

Think youre getting paranoid of red and blue lights?
Youll get paranoid of purple lights soon. (people in NSW)
Ive noticed a few more RTA cars on the road. And not the people mover traffic response. I mean an inspection unit. Though i have only seen them pull over heavy vehicles. But sooner or later theyll have the right to pull other vehicles too and have the same authority that police do. Lets hope that doesnt happen... But it most probably will.

pat88c
05-09-2010, 01:36 AM
PAT88c - Are you talking about the "GAP" between the wheel and the guard?

Cause if he measured that then thats wrong.

The lowest point of the car should not be less than 100mm/10cm from the ground. The lowest point is usually the mid pipe of the exhaust system

the cop that pull me up said that worshops and on rta website has spec on the measurement from the top of Guard gap to the center of the hub of disc

Shown in blue in this pic
http://a.imageshack.us/img843/6168/rideheightcheck.jpg

97EK1
05-09-2010, 11:38 AM
what did vsi 50 come into play without me even noticing? i thought we could lower it until 100mm from the ground? if your not hooning about, excessively low or have pissed the area cops off before you should be ok, or atleast thats my experience. (but if its a female highway patrol cop your screwed LOL)

na-118
05-09-2010, 05:08 PM
hey mate do you have a link to it?

the cop that pull me up said that worshops and on rta website has spec on the measurement from the top of Guard gap to the center of the hub of disc

Shown in blue in this pic
http://a.imageshack.us/img843/6168/rideheightcheck.jpg

cihanvtec
06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
i was going through an Act about defect notices the other day.. from what i understood (correct me if im wrong), you can get defected under SUSPICION of a defective vehicle. they dont necessarily have to prove it. but that was a Victorian Act not NSW. so it might be different

DuffyFD
08-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Ongoing debate.

Defects are now a money making business. Infact all police enforcers that specifically set their mind on pulling people over and booking them for something are c0cks. Full stop.
Ive had many cops pull me over, look at the engine bay and thought I did a good job on making it as roadworthy as possible.

Making judgements on roadworthyness just by sight is not right. Just because theyre the police doesnt mean they can get away with doing sh!t like that. But they do.

Think youre getting paranoid of red and blue lights?
Youll get paranoid of purple lights soon. (people in NSW)
Ive noticed a few more RTA cars on the road. And not the people mover traffic response. I mean an inspection unit. Though i have only seen them pull over heavy vehicles. But sooner or later theyll have the right to pull other vehicles too and have the same authority that police do. Lets hope that doesnt happen... But it most probably will.

I have an experience. (I’ll include an intro)

Was driving in the city in my heavily modified renaultsport clio (RIP baby), looking for a park on Carrington St (the little lane-street between York and George st right on Wynyard station). It was pouring and some idiot driving a new merc stopped, with me behind them, and then started reversing (no where near a park spot, just reversing!) I blasted horn and they nudged my bumper before they realized I was there. They stopped and then just drove off. I hit 1st gear hard, wheel spin to catch them and come up along side.

50m ahead, a cop runs onto the road and puts his hands out signaling me to stop. He’s in front of the car, I have no real choice, I stop. And he screams at me to get the **** out of the car. (Remember it’s pissing rain).

I get out and get a verbal from him about my driving. And he was asking me about why the fk would I drive like that – to which I reply – “throttle problems” – then he goes off even more. I explain about the merc, and he calms down and says don’t act on road rage, and how many people he see’s go to hospital / morgue from it.

He then tells me to pop my bonnet (gulp) – the battery is relocated, aftermarket electo distribution block, custom piping and intake, etc etc, and he’s tone changes, asking me whether I did this myself – I said yes, and he said he was impressed but to watch out on one of the ways I hooked up my distro block, with it not being harnessed properly, and that if he wanted to I could have been defected for it.

He gives me my license back and tells me to drive safely.

I drive off confused, but relatively happy that although I did get the biggest earbashing, I lost no points, and no defects.

In summary It really depends on how you approach the situation with the police, if you’re a dickhead, and arrogant, they’ll hate you and they’ll find ways to fine you, if you’re real with them, a lot of them aren’t as bad as the stigma suggests.

(Sorry for the long post)

GenesisEG
12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I cannot see how the measurement between the guard and the centre of the hub can be used for on-the-road defects. Every single car on the road would have a different factory specification, and there's no way the police are going to carry around databases on every make and model of car ever made with the specifications for each and every detail of those cars. Not only that, but as suspension ages, it sags, and that'll reduce the distance between the guard and the hub. Most defects are issued based on generic rules. Boxed air filters, minimum clearance, sound levels (both stereo and exhaust)... There are no model/car specific rules.

Regarding police being able to defect without measuring, yes, they can. They can even book you for speeding based on an estimate, without any speed detection equipment. It will stand up in court too, as some police officers are trained in speed estimation.

Having said that, even some RTA inspectors do not know all the rules. I contract for the RTA, and I asked them if CF bonnets were legal or illegal, and they don't know. The only reason they could give me was an assumption, and that's that the manufacturers have never put their products through testing to meet the Australian Design Rules standards. Mechanically, it might be fine, and there might be no reason for it to be illegal, but because it hasn't been approved by the authorities, it's illegal. Every part in your car has to be ADR approved, or it's illegal. Even the ITR Recaros, they came in Jap spec and Aus spec cars, but only the seats installed in Aus spec cars are ADR approved. The seats are the same, but the Jap manufactured cars do not have the ADR sticker on the seat, so they are illegal.

Like has been said in the past, alot of it has to do with attitude. Sometimes the police are just pigs, but often you'll find that if you're polite, you won't have any trouble. Half of my car is aftermarket and fairly loud (douchebag that owned the car previously installed a cannon), but even when I get pulled over for RBT's, I don't even get a second look. Drive sensibly and don't act like a tool and you probably won't have any problems unless your car is outrageous.

WATAJK
13-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Alright well the last cop who tried to give me a defect as i've had enough of the harassment i get on both my cars.

I quote "You are not a licensed vehicle tester, if that yellow sticker touches my window without a proper Roadworthy done, you will be cleaning the windscreen yourself and thats a promise"

7 months ago, i had enough of the shit, took a cop to court over harrassment charges. Paid my legal fees but i was sick and tired of the crap. Beauty of it all, i made the situation worse for myself as my uncle is a copper and my name is blacklisted so basically everytime i get pulled over, it's a bloody nightmare.... That's my story, some are alright though as someone else has said but it just REALLY depends on the time and moment... what mood they've started there shift in etc etc...

Comes down to luck... i've had some great cops & some real assoles but you gotta take the good with bad...
If you feel like your being harrassed, send a letter to the OPI & if they gets no where, contact a solicitor on your behalf and then that gets things moving :)

Nepolian
13-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Alright well the last cop who tried to give me a defect as i've had enough of the harassment i get on both my cars.

I quote "You are not a licensed vehicle tester, if that yellow sticker touches my window without a proper Roadworthy done, you will be cleaning the windscreen yourself and thats a promise"

7 months ago, i had enough of the shit, took a cop to court over harrassment charges. Paid my legal fees but i was sick and tired of the crap. Beauty of it all, i made the situation worse for myself as my uncle is a copper and my name is blacklisted so basically everytime i get pulled over, it's a bloody nightmare.... That's my story, some are alright though as someone else has said but it just REALLY depends on the time and moment... what mood they've started there shift in etc etc...

Comes down to luck... i've had some great cops & some real assoles but you gotta take the good with bad...
If you feel like your being harrassed, send a letter to the OPI & if they gets no where, contact a solicitor on your behalf and then that gets things moving :)

So did that cop get charged for harassing you??

But yes, my rule is, just cop it sweet (no pun intended).

Awhile ago now, I had a fully sick car, many detectable stuff. Got pulled over cause I made it obvious by having yellow headlights. They pointed out a few things, I agreed and nodded. Got the defect and was happy cause I didn't get done for more.

Point is, if you know you have defects, just cop it because it may give you less hassles in the long run.

WATAJK
13-09-2010, 06:28 PM
So did that cop get charged for harassing you??

I had a noticed placed against the copper. He was put on his last notice, if he was to pull me over it must be for a genuine reason or he would be given the sack.
Words said in court and with a letter sent to me from the OPI. (Office of Police Integrity)

Nepolian
13-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I had a noticed placed against the copper. He was put on his last notice, if he was to pull me over it must be for a genuine reason or he would be given the sack.
Words said in court and with a letter sent to me from the OPI. (Office of Police Integrity)

OK....cause there would be heaps of cars out there that would be targeted or blacklisted due to prior indiscretions...