PDA

View Full Version : price to rebuild?

chickeneg3
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
hi,

i have a d16y4 engine that im putting in my eg, but first i want to install a high comp kit, the parts are as follows:

-P29 domed or PM3 pistons (75mm)
-Piston rings (Hastings or NPR)
-Timing Belt
-Water Pump
-ACL Rod Bearings
-ACL Main Bearings
-ACL or King Thrust washers

does anyone have experience having this work done by a workshop and what price should i be happy with?

aaronng
12-08-2010, 08:58 AM
You'd have more bang for buck by going for a B16a swap.

chickeneg3
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM
thanks but ive heard it all before, ive looked into every conversion, and id rather have something unique. i was asking if anyone had experience in high compression not opinions.

Zilli
13-08-2010, 10:45 AM
check the D series thread in the All Motor area man... maybe even ask your question in there, the D guys lurk around there!

Also, check the US sites like Honda-Tech, theres a wealth of knowledge and experience there dude... good luck

DCZ 18C
13-08-2010, 11:40 AM
but your still goin to be burning when you work your car then you line up with a b16a and he flys by you with no effort

chickeneg3
13-08-2010, 02:05 PM
obviously im not too interested in power output, otherwise id get a b18 :S im not asking for opinions here guys.

Lukey
13-08-2010, 10:07 PM
as zilli said, might wanna check the d-series thread. or maybe d16turbo? i think theres a website dedicated to turboed d-series, even though ur not going to turbo, might find some info from there.

chickeneg3
14-08-2010, 01:31 AM
thanks lukey

tiksie
14-08-2010, 04:49 AM
as zilli said, might wanna check the d-series thread. or maybe d16turbo? i think theres a website dedicated to turboed d-series, even though ur not going to turbo, might find some info from there.

High comp kit + turbo ? D: Kaboom.

VTECnique
14-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Since, & i can only presume this by the first post, the engine hasn't been installed in the car yet, why not try & tackle this yourself? Honestly D-series are not hard to work on. You have all the information for this procedure, readily available by the click of a finger. A much cheaper option & you have that satisfaction that you've built this yourself....

Lukey
14-08-2010, 10:45 AM
High comp kit + turbo ? D: Kaboom.

i wasnt suggesting that. i was suggesting maybe he could maybe find some info on it to help him out.

did u even read my whole post?

VTECnique
14-08-2010, 11:49 AM
i wasnt suggesting that. i was suggesting maybe he could maybe find some info on it to help him out.

did u even read my whole post?

Best place to find info for NA high comp combos is D-series.org....

Lukey
14-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Best place to find info for NA high comp combos is D-series.org....

well there you go. didnt know about that site.

:thumbsup:

stevo716
14-08-2010, 01:59 PM
good to see other ppl working non vtec engines,
i know wat u mean when u dont wanna do a stragiht conversion, being unique
i rebuilt my b18a, with similar ideas.
that cost me 1500 from a engine rebuild place for balancing,new pistons, rings, boring, bearings, cleaned out oilwells. I bought a rebuild kit from the states for 600 that came with everything, but we kinda failed at checking the cylinders, so technically i rebuilt it twice, but that original kit, had my oil pump, water pump and other things.
soo it would prob come to 1800 for the rebuild of the block only.
also i took the block out of the car
and gave them as is, and then block returned to me, so no labour costs in that.

Hope that helps

Also high compression ideas that may help, when u take ur head off which will happen, u can shave the head, which will raise compression
If you dont want to sleeve, dont bore much just bore a little to smoothen cylinder, then stroke it alot safer for block,
Get ur block tested for cracks first too.
Also rebuilding engine is good time to get lightened flywheel, then get that balanced.
Which is wat i did :) spins soo much freely after rebuild then it did before.

MikeyG
14-08-2010, 03:43 PM
if anything.. turbo your d series

VTECnique
14-08-2010, 08:30 PM
if anything.. turbo your d series

Although i heavily agree with you, the OP is just after information regarding the cost of an engine rebuild, not opinions....

chickeneg3
15-08-2010, 10:38 PM
thanks stevo :) good help,

and turbo in my opinion is cheating , so i wouldnt touch it

stevo716
15-08-2010, 10:42 PM
thanks stevo :) good help,

and turbo in my opinion is cheating , so i wouldnt touch it

No prob thought u might like to know, i just bought stage 2 cams and new springs and retainers, along with my intake, i shud be able to get this engine to make, power up to 9000rpm
on a nonvtec engine hehehehe

na-118
15-08-2010, 10:55 PM
how about oil rings?

MikeyG
16-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Although i heavily agree with you, the OP is just after information regarding the cost of an engine rebuild, not opinions....

true but if he is goin to add some internals his going to waste his money.. but for a simple rebuild your looking at 1k

chickeneg3
17-08-2010, 06:53 PM
define wasting money?