PDA

View Full Version : NSW How do the new Safety Cameras and Mobile Speed Camers work?

MWAKU
11-08-2010, 11:48 PM
1) Do the safety cameras still only capture if its in the same direction like the old red light cameras?

For eg. If im going North bound, and there is a safety camera on the road facing North bound, it will capture you, for either a) speeding and/or b) running the red light. Now im 90% sure that it doesn't take both sides, (talking about the ones that don't have one on each side of that road).

So now, lets say I'm going North bound, and theres a camera facing East Bound, and im going to take a right hand turn, (East bound) into the road which as the safety camera. Will it catch you either speeding or running the light? So the camera is behind, pointing to the rear of ur car, u once you have turned right into the road.

2) Do the mobile speed cameras catch both traffic directions?

aaronng
12-08-2010, 08:43 AM
1) Do the safety cameras still only capture if its in the same direction like the old red light cameras?

For eg. If im going North bound, and there is a safety camera on the road facing North bound, it will capture you, for either a) speeding and/or b) running the red light. Now im 90% sure that it doesn't take both sides, (talking about the ones that don't have one on each side of that road).

So now, lets say I'm going North bound, and theres a camera facing East Bound, and im going to take a right hand turn, (East bound) into the road which as the safety camera. Will it catch you either speeding or running the light? So the camera is behind, pointing to the rear of ur car, u once you have turned right into the road.

2) Do the mobile speed cameras catch both traffic directions?

If there are sensors on the road on both directions, then it will most probably take photos in both directions. Even the older cameras like the one on Delhi Road in between North Ryde and Chatswood have sensors on both directions of the road and will flash cars in both directions.

In your case, you are turning right and away from the camera, so your car is not crossing the sensor. So the camera should not take a pic of your car, unless there is a sensor in the lane that you were turning into.

m3ntAL_l2
17-08-2010, 07:17 PM
mmm asking on behalf of the cousin

he got 2 tickets in 5mins when he went out for lunch, was caught by an mobile speed camera. doing 64 and 65 in an 60 zone

as far as i know the mobile cameras only detects one way? i.e catches you from the back? so any chance of him ask for photos of the speeding and fight at least one ticket when traveling back on the opposite direction?

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/443/32603165.jpg (http://img820.imageshack.us/i/32603165.jpg/)

JohnO
17-08-2010, 08:09 PM
hey quick question, i was over taking a truck on the hume hwy, as i pulled over to the left lane since there were no cars, i saw the msc van but the two men were only carrying stuff and placing it onto the grass. there was no sign "your speed has been check" like i saw on the newspaper. 70 zone but i was doing atleast 75 when i went past it, if their only setting up for the day does it mean the cameras dont take photos yet because there are no warning sign to show drivers that their speed was recorded? would the camera be taking photos while the men were just putting out equipment and setting up? not quite sure how it all works since sydney has only recently gotten into the program.

happened 2weeks ago, shat bricks going to uni that day.

Antv
17-08-2010, 09:36 PM
were you the ep3r with green p's making a right turn onto henry lawson drive from newbridge road?

there were mobile speed cams around that intersection today.

i too shat bricks when i saw a cop with a radar gun and i was about 5km over the limit....

JohnO
17-08-2010, 10:34 PM
nah man i was going from horsely drive left turn onto hume and past the intersection down the hill abit was a mobile van shitting there in the morning around 8ish. i saw pictures how there was meant to be a sign indicating to drivers their speed was monitored or something like that when they past the van, though i didnt see any signs and shat myself.

BlitZ
18-08-2010, 12:11 AM
i dont think there are fines imposed yet?

NaChOs
18-08-2010, 12:16 AM
mobile speed camera's from what i heard can get you both ways... and i heard this from quiet a reliable source...

JohnO
18-08-2010, 08:57 AM
they do get you from both ways all six lanes... money machine for mac bank.

ninzee
18-08-2010, 04:26 PM
i put safety cameras and speed cameras in as a job like aaronng said depends on if the sensors are on both sides of the rd or not
heres how they work
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/ninzee/safetycameraexample.png

the way the camera detects your speed is it measures how long it takes ur car to get from loop 1 to loop 2, since the computer know the distance and time it uses speed= distance / time to figure out ur speed

the red light part is simply if ur car crosses both loops when it is a red light the camera will go off, but all 4 wheels do need to cross loop 2 for the camera to flash on a red light

if you look close enough at the instersection where the safety camera is you can see the loops and where the road has been cut and filled with scotek

jdm_kid
19-08-2010, 04:26 PM
these mobile speed cameras .. i heard they have video record as well? yes ? no ?

THEEYA
20-08-2010, 01:30 PM
are these activated yet? because i still see people speeding through it... *shrugs*

aaronng
20-08-2010, 01:48 PM
the red light part is simply if ur car crosses both loops when it is a red light the camera will go off, but all 4 wheels do need to cross loop 2 for the camera to flash on a red light

I've seen it flash with just 2 rear wheels passing the 2nd loop. Front wheels were in the intersection already when the lights turned from amber to red. Got a nice ticket too. :p Could you confirm if it is 2 or 4 wheels for a red light camera?

ninzee
20-08-2010, 02:09 PM
ill double check on monday or when im working next and let you know

ninzee
24-08-2010, 04:25 AM
arronng i asked the blokes who i work with and they said as long as u were a bit past the 2nd loop you should be fine

beeza
24-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Getting done twice at lunch - 64 and 65 in a 60.It's the perfect trap,just perfect.

It does not matter how careful I am at keeping under the speed limit,there's always a times when I catch myself at 4-5 k's over.

It's only a matter of time until a copper will be there to clean up.

I'm so paranoid LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Seen the flatbed truck that puts ya car on there and shakes it? To test if U have coils and your car is too stiff.

There was one at the spit a few weeks ago.

So what I'm saying is,the traps have been layed,the collection process is in progress,best of luck guys,be smart.

JohnO
24-08-2010, 05:28 PM
i dont think we'll be seeing them shaking flatbed trucks for another year or two since syd was behind in them mobile speed cams

beeza
24-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah QLD is definately over policed but everywhere is now though,QLD maybe there testing ground for there new toys as we ARE quite layed back up here and not so caring :)

tmy
24-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Are people really getting done for just 5 over?

Thats horrible if they are.

beeza
24-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes they are horrible but that's there job and we must love them for the beautiful person that they are under that uniform.

So po po we Love U.

benedictz
25-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Yes they are horrible but that's there job and we must love them for the beautiful person that they are under that uniform.

So po po we Love U.

I LOL-ed so bad

beeza
25-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Forgiveness is trick.

I forgive U George Bush!

Asado
05-09-2010, 07:14 PM
apparently popo are leanient with 4-5 its just the cameras that are set to no tolarance b/s

black8thgen
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
can someone tell me what exactly the mobile speed cameras are in? like what vehicle...

lilthug
06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
saw one about an hour ago..

was a white toyota 4wd...
maybe a kluger

terrabyte
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
can someone tell me what exactly the mobile speed cameras are in? like what vehicle...

White ford territory's. link (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/new-cameras-deliver-a-fast-buck/story-e6frewt0-1225890226220)

dc2r-0636
09-09-2010, 03:54 PM

well in melbourne i have seen these vehicles being used

-ford territory
-subaru forester
-mitsubishi outlander
-toyota corolla stationwagon
-ford falcon BA-BF stationwagon
-holden commodore VZ stationwagon

look out for randomly parked cars that are in the middle of no where. and they are always newish cars

sultanaz
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
oh ull see the bastards, big orange stripe now. just be careful in black spots ay. i go past 1 everyday cus they always sit in the same spot ( Sydney )

grifty
09-09-2010, 05:47 PM
do u get a fine for 1-2kms over the limit? like do they have any leniency?

lilthug
09-09-2010, 06:05 PM
from what i heard its 0 tolerance

sultanaz
09-09-2010, 06:27 PM
yeah my mate got pulled ova in his r33, p plater.

Officer goes YOU KNOW U WERE DOING A KPH OVA THE LIMIT DONT U. mates like 1 kph are u srz. Officer says YEP CONSIDER THIS A WARNING.. luckily he was in the warning period, unlike now its all fines . (SYDNEY)

dc2r-0636
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
in melbourne they give a 2 or 3 kp/h leniency. reason being coz speedos in cars arnt always correct. and if going ova 100kph they take 2% off your limit.
eg. i got caught doing 118kph in a 100 zone and the fine i got said it went down to 115.
but still got a $235 fine and 3 points coz it fell between the 15-25kph over zone.

beeza
10-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Operation Unite is on this weekend,whatever that is.

Just arresting more people I assume.

Gotta get all dem big bad baddies out dere!

eg5civic
11-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Seen the flatbed truck that puts ya car on there and shakes it? To test if U have coils and your car is too stiff.

There was one at the spit a few weeks ago.

So what I'm saying is,the traps have been layed,the collection process is in progress,best of luck guys,be smart.

Wow i havent seen one of those, but i had heard of one, and laughed at the idea..... what happens when they put a lambo or ferrari on it..... its too stiff but its like that from factory so its ok cause its worth half a mil?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
from what i heard its 0 tolerance

No be tollerated!

btw, this shit is nothing new, just don't speed and no need to worry eh?

BMXWoody
14-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Just to clarify:
Fixed Speed Cameras/Red Light Cameras/"Safety Cameras" - Work by measuring the time between activating loop 1 and activating loop 2. They work by piezo electric sensors being put under pressure by your cars tyres (front tyres). They flash visible light when someone has been caught.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/fixeddigitalspeedcameras/howdofixeddigitalspeedcameraswork.html

Mobile Speed Cameras - IE the ones in the white ford territories, work (pretty much the same as the in car ones the police use) by having radar detect distance/time (speed) of cars travelling in both directions. They flash infrared light when someone has been caught. They also record video continuously of the road and have a CCTV systems that monitor the car.

From what I understand, by the time you spot the white territory it's too late to brake. Just be careful in the so-called "black spots", and if you want to speed go to a track day =)

JohnO
14-09-2010, 01:23 PM
um just passed a the warning signs like for traffic conditions on the side of the road but it was from the rta. looked at it, was displaying my speed on the billboard? any ideas?

BMXWoody
14-09-2010, 06:00 PM
If it was a roadworks site they use those signs pretty commonly. Never seen a speed camera at one, but that's just my experience.

JohnO
14-09-2010, 06:38 PM
rta just installed a safety camera to a intersection but the trailer sign was just down the road from the intersection

BMXWoody
15-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Not really sure what that means exactly then mate. A friend of mine got done at 6 over by a safety camera that had only been there a couple days and managed to get out of it by writing a letter. I guess just play the waiting game =\

Nismo3oi
15-09-2010, 10:21 AM
should be a ford territory, and their not all white.

flipfire
15-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I wonder if theres anyway to detect mobile speed cams from far away.

flipfire
15-09-2010, 01:24 PM
After doing some research..

You can buy laser detector/jammers that are legal due to the fact that they can also be used as parking sensors. These run on the 904/905nm light spectrum (licence free) which Redflex uses on their mobile cameras.

Also mobile camera vehicles have no power to chase and pull you over meaning you can detect/jam them anytime.

crashprash
15-09-2010, 04:13 PM
After doing some research..

You can buy laser detector/jammers that are legal due to the fact that they can also be used as parking sensors. These run on the 904/905nm light spectrum (licence free) which Redflex uses on their mobile cameras.

Also mobile camera vehicles have no power to chase and pull you over meaning you can detect/jam them anytime.

where do u find these legal detectors/jammers?

ajbm
16-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Radar detectors are illegal in NSW... The fine is over 1K
I know coz I bought one from U.S. A few years ago.
Some cop cars are fitted with radar-detector detector.
So don't even think of using one. Not to mention the 9 demerit points

flipfire
16-09-2010, 01:02 AM
where do u find these legal detectors/jammers?

Search online.

Radar detectors are illegal in NSW... The fine is over 1K
I know coz I bought one from U.S. A few years ago.
Some cop cars are fitted with radar-detector detector.
So don't even think of using one. Not to mention the 9 demerit points

Once your detector goes off, you slow down and hit the off switch for the detector.

Radar and laser is different which is why you should be able to skrit laws. Also its a multifunction device. Also its still legal in WA.

New South Wales
TRAFFIC ACT 1909 - SECT 4AD
4AD Sale, purchase and use of prohibited speed measuring evasion articles

(1) A person must not sell or offer for sale, or purchase, a prohibited speed measuring evasion article.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2) A person must not drive a motor vehicle, or cause a motor vehicle or trailer to stand, on a road or road related area if a prohibited speed measuring evasion article is fitted or applied to, or carried in, the vehicle.

(3) The owner of a motor vehicle or trailer which is driven or stands on a road or road related area in contravention of subsection (2) is guilty of an offence.

(4) It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence under this section if the defendant satisfies the court that the article concerned was not designed as a prohibited speed measuring evasion article but was designed for another purpose.

(5) It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence under subsection (2) or (3) if the defendant satisfies the court that, at the time of the alleged offence:

(a) the vehicle was in the course of a journey to a place appointed by a member of the police force, an officer of the Authority or a court, in order to surrender the article, or

(b) the vehicle was the subject of a notice, issued in accordance with the regulations, requiring the owner of the vehicle to remove the article from the vehicle within a specified time and that time had not expired, or (c) the defendant did not know, and in the circumstances could not reasonably be expected to have known, that the article concerned was fitted or applied to, or was being carried in, the vehicle

ajbm
16-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Search online.

Once your detector goes off, you slow down and hit the off switch for the detector.

Why should u put one knowing it is illegal, I learned the hard way!
So I strongly advise not to buy or install one!

na-118
18-09-2010, 02:26 AM
uniden make them i install these devices for heavy vehicles

zco
05-10-2010, 10:51 PM
so anyone know the range or distance of a mobile speed camera ?

flipfire
06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Laser works for up to 1km away but those mobile speed camera cars only set up the trap point like 50-200m away.

Last one i saw was after a bend in the road so you dont see it at all. bastards

cotties
06-10-2010, 12:02 PM
There pretty easy to spot in Qld
They ether use the old landcurisers and the camera is on the dash so you have to drive past it before u get caught so if your quick enough to spot them u can get lucky
The new ones we got a Vito vans camera is on the back door and gets you before you pass it harder to spot but you can usualy see them parked
They sick out cause there random and have aircons on the top of them
But to be honest your more likely to get busted here by an undercover car cause they use anything even herd stories of them trying to race people in impounded cars
They use to little lights on the sunvisor and they system can be moved into any car seen so many people pulled over by them

RtN
25-11-2010, 09:54 AM
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/ninzee/safetycameraexample.png

In that photo your travelling towards the camera right (Downwards)? So it is true where you have two wheels in front of the 2nd line you won't be fined for red light?

ninzee
25-11-2010, 11:08 PM
na ur going away from the camera so it takes a pic of ur ass but the camera shouldnt go off if u have already passed the 1st loop on the orange

RtN
25-11-2010, 11:20 PM
ahh okay thanks, so it's okay to still have your rear wheels on loop #2 whilst waiting at an intersection to turn even after it has turned red. Been doing that for my whole driving life, works.

RtN
07-10-2011, 09:18 AM
BUMPP coz..was in a rush and didnt expect the loops to be fkn so wide apart.. anzac pde and moore park rd intersection turn.

I crossed the double like okay but my front wheels just passed the furthest line.

It was a double line first then a single line. I think my front wheels were JUST passed the single line when it went red. Couldnt tell if was a flash or not or someones headlights lol

MWAKU
10-11-2011, 03:44 PM
think i got done by mobile speed camera, was going very quick down the hume, and saw the SUV so slammed the brakes, but i think i still went past it over the speed limit. whats the threshold of the camera? 6km+ or what, and how bigs the fine?

na-118
14-04-2012, 11:43 PM
does anybody know the range/ distance for safety cameras? is it within the intersection box? thanks

DakDak
15-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Not too sure. But not too far from the intersection.They work your speed out from two pictures. You'll know cause its like a road train with mega fog lights high beaming you twice. First image is a pic of you crossing the first initial sensor. about a 1-1.5 second gap for the second image which should catch you in the act doing whatever you shouldnt be. From those two images they work out your speed.

If they have an image of you running the red light, and your going so fast not in the second image. The sensor on the other side of the road will get you.

aaronng
15-04-2012, 09:11 PM
does anybody know the range/ distance for safety cameras? is it within the intersection box? thanks

The fixed safety cameras use a sensor on the road. There are 2 "boxes" if you look at the road just after the white line. They measure the speed of your car by the time it takes to activate the 2nd box after you pass the first box. The redlight function should use the first box and they take 2 shots about 0.5 seconds apart. If in the 2nd shot you are still going into the intersection, you get a red light camera fine.

na-118
16-04-2012, 12:57 AM
thanks for info guys

XB-16-AX
16-04-2012, 10:42 AM
The fixed safety cameras use a sensor on the road. There are 2 "boxes" if you look at the road just after the white line. They measure the speed of your car by the time it takes to activate the 2nd box after you pass the first box. The redlight function should use the first box and they take 2 shots about 0.5 seconds apart. If in the 2nd shot you are still going into the intersection, you get a red light camera fine.

^^This is correct,

BUT there are also line metal markings on the road itself.

They are like metal bars - almost like a gridlock and when your tyres roll over these they have sensors which determines your speed which then triggers the flash/camera to activate.

These gridlocks/or metal lines are also on the fixed speed cameras - especially where the fixed cameras have the school zones.

they are more accurate than these boxes at the intersection - there is no escape on the lines too once your wheels go over it your it! in any lane watsoever, unlike boxes they can be blocked by Huge Rig trucks etc.

next time i drive past one, ill pull over and take a snappy shot. so that everyone know what im talking about.

flipfire
16-04-2012, 03:55 PM
^ I havent seen that before... your not talking about the metal wire they run across the road for surveying areas right?

XB-16-AX
16-04-2012, 07:46 PM
^ I havent seen that before... your not talking about the metal wire they run across the road for surveying areas right?

Nah not those wires. Those are used for surveys and sometimes used to re-evaluate the speed zones by determining the number of cars and their speed.

Ill try to take a shot and post it up here yall

black8thgen
20-04-2012, 07:56 PM
i think what he is referring to are the metal wires embedded into the tarmac. theres usually a set on each side of the road (in the case of the new cameras) and probably only one set for the older cameras