PDA

View Full Version : Low Down Lag

asps91
12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi Guys, Im Posting up a few problems i have been having of late so if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

1. Sometimes when i take of i am getting amazing amounts of lag in the engine where its bogging down to the point where its almost cutting out (The lag im talking about is like taking of in 4th gear or simular on a flat surface) and then it just kicks in and drives normally. (It has a full tank of fuell at all times, so its not that)

2. When cold the car is quite zippy and vtech is great, it seems that when the car is warming up its loosing a bit of pep. (Did not happen before and i dont think its heat soak in my CAI Piping)

3. I smell a burning smell sometimes simular to an electric/oil. Its hard to discribe.

Thanks.

vyets
12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=386868

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=549145&st=0#entry12038827

asps91
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Its not this, it doesnt drop in idle at all. Its just struggles to get anywhere at low rpm on take-off. Thanks for your imput tho mate, much appreciated.

ChromZ
12-08-2010, 12:24 PM
is the engine bogging down when you are ready to move ?
if it is, its likely to be the heat the engine is swallowing (regardless of intake type - i suffer this with a snorkel type intake)

what i do is just rev it higher up and cycle the crap air that the car was swallowing, then go again. ive stalled because of this in the past.
its alot more apparent when the car infront has an exhaust exit on the right side ;)

Perry
12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Sure its not your clutch?

asps91
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
is the engine bogging down when you are ready to move ?
if it is, its likely to be the heat the engine is swallowing (regardless of intake type - i suffer this with a snorkel type intake)

what i do is just rev it higher up and cycle the crap air that the car was swallowing, then go again. ive stalled because of this in the past.
its alot more apparent when the car infront has an exhaust exit on the right side ;)

Could be that, ill have to check that out.

asps91
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Sure its not your clutch?

Definaetly not the cluch.

NVD52K
16-08-2010, 06:08 PM
try changing spark plugs, cleaning your throttle body with cleaner, and giving a map whack also check all the vacuum hoses near the throttle body as some come loose or get pinched and cause your car to run abit rough

asps91
17-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your input mate, i think ill get to that this weekend and see if it makes any difference.

Once again thanks to all who had some Imput into my thread, your comments and information are very valuable to myself and other s2000 owners with simular Problems.

EP_KING
17-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I am also experiencing this now. The car feels normal first thing in the morning, however in the afternoon especially when I have been driving for over an hour, I can feel the car lag a lot. However, mine is most noticeable in first and second gear. It happened last night driving home in peak hour traffic, I turned the corner and started to accelerate and it stated to lag a lot, so I accelerated harder and even the VTEC was slow and unresponsive!! The lag is really frustrating and makes me want to get out of the car and just walk home.
I don't believe its the spark plugs as I have changed mine under 30,000kms ago.

asps91, please let me know how you go with it. Thanks.

s2kjn
17-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Definately not spark plugs, have the same problem with the lag. Changed my spark plugs 5000 kms ago

NVD52K
19-08-2010, 03:48 PM
it can also be heat soak from the air intake when the engine bay gets really hot and sucks up alot of heat from the air filter.

duzy
19-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Heat is your cause. I also have this problem, i just rev it higher when i take off. If i come off the clutch too soon then bogs and suffers really bad

foowoei69
19-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I get the same thing. It Sh1!s me to tears in the traffic, epecially on hot days.
Ive tried all those things mentioned before.. It helped for abit then comes back after awhile.
I was wondering if changing to low temp thermostat,temp sensor and 1.3bar radiator cap would help?

ChromZ
20-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I get the same thing. It Sh1!s me to tears in the traffic, epecially on hot days.
Ive tried all those things mentioned before.. It helped for abit then comes back after awhile.
I was wondering if changing to low temp thermostat,temp sensor and 1.3bar radiator cap would help?

wont help. its a completely different issue.

foowoei69
20-08-2010, 10:32 PM
There's a few dudes on s2ki that auto cross, They recon if u have the 3 items above plus the hondata gasket (which also blocks the coolant lines to the t/b) it helps a fair bit with heat soak.
ChromZ: What do u recon the issue is? I thought it was heat soak considering it only happens when I'm in heavy traffic on hot days.. Not bein a smart arse. Just askin for second opinions. This issue really bugs me.

ChromZ
23-08-2010, 03:40 PM
There's a few dudes on s2ki that auto cross, They recon if u have the 3 items above plus the hondata gasket (which also blocks the coolant lines to the t/b) it helps a fair bit with heat soak.
ChromZ: What do u recon the issue is? I thought it was heat soak considering it only happens when I'm in heavy traffic on hot days.. Not bein a smart arse. Just askin for second opinions. This issue really bugs me.

i still stand by my first post in this thread (i was only referring to issue #1.

engine temps could contribute, for sure, but how much really? (issue #2).
once again, given my experiences, i have tracked in summer with the stock cooling system and pushing full sessions. had no issue throughout the day, lost no coolant. very pelased with the standard system.

need to be clear on which issue we talking about here..
i cannot provide anymore solutions from what i have provided already.

tamay_s2k
23-08-2010, 08:06 PM
one thing ive noticed is that if u take off and accelerate with half throttle instead of just putting ur foot down, then went he car hits between 3500rpm and 4500rpm if i put my foot down..i get no bog downlow and the car just takes off and enters vtec like an animal.
trust me and play around how u drive the car..meaning ur throttle control and u will eliminate this problem wen getting off the line.
ive learnt to and boy does it accelerate nicely
also good 2 give the car a nice rev 2 let her breathe just before u take off as 'Duzy' says
wen i mean nice rev..i mean 2 liek 3-4k. but dont clutch dump lol =]..unless u wanan have extra fun :P

foowoei69
28-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I only get this problem in stop start/heavy traffic. Other than that the she's A ok(40degrees day and on the freeway.)
I remember lifting the back of the bonnet on my civic helped abit too. But I don't really want to do that to the s. Hahaha. Looks ghetto.
Yeah rev it like u wanna drag the dude next to ya. That does fix it. But then just not when the dudes a cop. Hahah
So it basically just the car suckin up a bunch of really hot air and the ems goin retarded trying to compensate?

jbird
30-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I only get this problem in stop start/heavy traffic. Other than that the she's A ok(40degrees day and on the freeway.)
I remember lifting the back of the bonnet on my civic helped abit too. But I don't really want to do that to the s. Hahaha. Looks ghetto.
Yeah rev it like u wanna drag the dude next to ya. That does fix it. But then just not when the dudes a cop. Hahah
So it basically just the car suckin up a bunch of really hot air and the ems goin retarded trying to compensate?

My mate has a vented bonnet and his car never bogs. It's just heat soak playing with the sensors making you look like a noob driver

On s2ki there is a write up on how to vent your stock bonnet which looks alright