PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust systems...

PRELUDIN
01-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Hey all... jst wanted some opinion on what sort of exhaust system i shud upgrade to (currently Xforce, which is ok) i have a budget of $800/$900, i have several options on my mind but still undecided... any input wud be great.... oh ye i drive a 5th gen lude ATTS..... cheers

mbilic
02-01-2005, 04:13 PM
go a set of performance extractors/headers,and 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch piping all the way through with a high flow cat n sports muffler...that'll prolly work out at around ur budget

[stealth]
02-01-2005, 04:51 PM
tanabe hyper medallion.. around 900-1000 for complete cat-back designed for 5th Gen.. + installation shouldnt be much at all..

Or Greddy Evo 2 cat-back.. lil dearer I think...

PRELUDIN
02-01-2005, 09:41 PM
mbilic / [stealth] appreciate the info.... thnx

WPN.22R
02-01-2005, 11:11 PM
i wouldnt replace the headers, i would go cat back 2-1/4 and find yourself a nice muffler!

McChook
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Go a decent cat back 2.25 - 2.5 inch (considering the Mugen is 2.45inches, they can't be that wrong) and leave it at that. You won't make any difference with headers unless you spend $1500 - Anything less is worse than standard - remember, the standard headers are piped, not cast.

That or pick up a set of JDM Type S headers.....

Try and get a late model Honda Legend Cat too....

JDM Element
03-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Are you interested in performance? or looks or sound?

As mcchook said, leave the headers, the stock prelude ones are already quite good and you wont recieve much gains unless you go with the better quality ones.

wpn22's idea is also a good one, and would prolly save you some money too!! decent set up for around 500 or so!

Have you considered a thermal for ur 5th gen?

PRELUDIN
03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
i've received pretty much the same sugestions from several mates of mine about keeping the headers with my budget.... if not i'll prolly be saving abit more and get a quality ones....

NEway WPN.22/McChook/jdm element appreciate the knowledge.....

azjs
03-01-2005, 09:38 PM
As mcchook said, leave the headers, the stock prelude ones are already quite good and you wont recieve much gains unless you go with the better quality ones.

Yep, standard ones are good - but if you do get headers you'll only really get the most of them after some cam timing ;)

-az

[stealth]
03-01-2005, 10:43 PM
slip an email to these guys.. they can look after u if ur looking for quality..

http://www.jdmyard.com/
info@jdmyard.com (info@jdmyard.com)

filo
04-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey all... jst wanted some opinion on what sort of exhaust system i shud upgrade to (currently Xforce, which is ok) i have a budget of $800/$900, i have several options on my mind but still undecided... any input wud be great.... oh ye i drive a 5th gen lude ATTS..... cheers

Mine is all xforce.
I had this done at best mufflers at Carlton. Great shop, great workmanship and the people who works there are great too especially the owner Chris Myles. Check it out.
http://www.bestmufflers.com/Xforce_Exhaust_Systems/Honda_Prelude.htm

ludecrs
05-04-2005, 12:34 AM
link doesnt work.

ACTI0NMAN-1
05-04-2005, 12:38 AM
link doesnt appear here either

ludecrs
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
If your from Sydney, heres a 5th gen exhaust for $250:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13386

filo
05-04-2005, 08:02 PM
link doesnt work.

Sorry I wrote the wrong address try this one

http://www.bestmufflers.com/Xforce_Exhaust_Systems/Honda_Prelude.htm

redliner
06-04-2005, 11:31 AM
my mate got his prelude full exhaust (hurrican) done for around $1200-$1400 at livo exaust, so i dont think brand name are all its cracked up to be.
now his car doin 15.1 with CAI as well

filo
09-04-2005, 12:13 PM
my mate got his prelude full exhaust (hurrican) done for around $1200-$1400 at livo exaust, so i dont think brand name are all its cracked up to be.
now his car doin 15.1 with CAI as well

Hurrican, isnt that a brand name too? I got my full system with same price as your friends. If you really after brand name might as well go for spoon or muggen but the full system will get you $3000-$4000 (all original). Fugitsubo full system will be $3500, but there's a wait coz its coming from Japan (I was told).

redliner
11-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Hurrican, isnt that a brand name too?

well it gotta b called something :D
you know what i mean, like well know branded name

WPN.22R
11-04-2005, 05:50 PM
seriously guys what is an exhaust system?? nothing but a pipe right?? so why pay mass amount of $$$ when all your getting is a nicer piece of piping with a brand name on it??

my opinion anyways

filo
11-04-2005, 07:56 PM
seriously guys what is an exhaust system?? nothing but a pipe right?? so why pay mass amount of $$$ when all your getting is a nicer piece of piping with a brand name on it??

my opinion anyways

Cant believe I'm hearing this from someone who have a seriously moded car

LUD38U
12-04-2005, 12:28 PM
So you guys think a brand name is waste of money?
i mean maybe 1500 for a mugen yeah but 1000 for other brand names no....
i got a Tanabe hyper medallion and it was cheap and sounds awesome

PrahVtec
12-04-2005, 12:49 PM
yeh techinically it is jus a pipe.. but with top brands u can assure quality on welding and bends etc which in turn gives u better gains... and proly last u alot longer

itr025
13-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Unfortunately I disagree with the opinions here about the headers. My Tannabe 4-2-1's (cost me 1.2k) gave my prelude a MUCH more noticeable gain than my JDM JASMA cat back. The stock headers didn't look too inferior to my Tanabe's but the improvements were definitely more noticeable than when I put the cat back on (where sound was the most noticeable gain :)). The guy who bought them told me how impressed he was with the better throttle response and mid range.

But I agree that headers have to be quality made and flow tested to efficiently 'suck' exhaust gasses out of the engine block. I've read quite a few stories of poorly designed headers which actually lost power on the dyno.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with JDM headers (Mugen, Toda, RSR, Tannabe, 5Zigen, Fujitsubo... are a few that come to mind). They're unlikely to be just a bunch of pipes welded together.

civ_sik
13-04-2005, 12:32 PM
fully man you cant go worng when it comes to the top brands where as the other can be more of a risk.

**Ghost**
13-04-2005, 02:59 PM
kinda on topic but is it possible to get headers for the prelude S (asking for a mate)

Creative
13-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately I disagree with the opinions here about the headers. My Tannabe 4-2-1's (cost me 1.2k)
YAY!!!!

Someone else with Tanabe 4-2-1 header...I have one on my 5th gen and it was very noticeable in sound and performance that it had improved over the stock...not HUGE...but still noticeable :)

All in all, I have a straight thru Tanabe system and I love it....wouldnt mind a quiter cat back though :rolleyes:

shecomb
14-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Cant believe I'm hearing this from someone who have a seriously moded car

Thats the thing.... with a seriously modded car the additional 2-5hp you get between different exhaust systems means jack all!!

I can't justify spending double the money on an exhaust for an extra 5hp.... rather MAKE money by taking shit off my car and selling it! And reducing weight!! :D

A service and an oil change can give you 5hp....

filo
14-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Thats the thing.... with a seriously modded car the additional 2-5hp you get between different exhaust systems means jack all!!

I can't justify spending double the money on an exhaust for an extra 5hp.... rather MAKE money by taking shit off my car and selling it! And reducing weight!! :D

A service and an oil change can give you 5hp....

Hmmmm me no agree, I think we spend shit load of our money just so we can squeeze more power out of that engine.

I will have 5 horsepower from the exhaust system plus 5 horsepower from service and oil change and if I go out and push the car while driving then I will have a total of 10 horsepower and 1 man power. Not to mention me selling my fat gf to reduce weight. :D

nickiipoohz
04-06-2005, 07:56 PM
so what gains are to be expected from upgrading the exhaust? ive got a JDM h22... what if i got 2.5" catback + xforce twin loop? any gains here? also, will changin my catback to a high flow one (possibly magnaflow) be worth it? is there a big difference between press bent and mandrel bent? thanks guys

WPN.22R
14-06-2005, 10:18 PM
spend money on quality built headers thats what ive done. cos bodgy headers = bodgy flow=yucky no good!! ok

but the rest like i said... its just a pipe! (ps i have no welds.. all mandrel)

yes i have a seriously modded car... thing is i do my homework before modifying. hence its taken me a long time to get it right!