PDA

View Full Version : Who's put a B16a into EG civic?? any advice appreciated!

Per10d
02-12-2003, 06:14 PM
i'm seriously looking into transplanting a b16a into my civic, was jsut wondering if anyone on here has done the job themselves??

is it very complex or can it done easily?

cheers

Bumble B
02-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Well you can ask Danny soon. He's planning on doing the conversion. Apart from that I have heard that it is simple. Hardest thing really is wiring I guess...

vti-2
02-12-2003, 06:38 PM
If you have the wiring diagrams and a bit of mechanical knowledge you should be able to do it yourself. bengbear on here has done the B16A swap.

Per10d
03-12-2003, 10:56 AM
well i do have basic mechanical knowledge...
just have to get hold of a hoist for the engine and might have to get the wiring done by a pro.

anyone else that has done it??

vti-2
03-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Where are you based?

If you do a search on Honda-Tech i'm sure you will find wiring diagrams to help you out.

www.honda-tech.com

:thumbsup:

CVK-A
06-12-2003, 07:51 PM
im keen
i want to do it !
but i know nothin bout price or anythin

please tell me/forward to me all u know

i rekn the civic wif a b16a will hammer !
power to weight ratio

mo
06-12-2003, 09:20 PM
the local civic vti-r has a b16a

try and take one for a drive, friends, steal it (LOL) etc...

they are great!!

dcii_sir
07-12-2003, 05:26 PM
Hey mate.. You can get a front cut from about $2200 to about $3000 depending on where you go.. You might need to pay interstate shipping fees which may cost up to $300 again depending on where you go. As for labour, if you can do it yourself, its gonna save you quite a bit. All parts needed for the conversion will be in the front cut unless of coz the seller is dodgy and starts removing things like the radiator, distributor etc but most should be fine. If you are gonna get a mechanic to install it, the price varies.. its best that you change a new clutch and also new timing belt when u do the conversion. Save you money in the long run. If you need any more info, pls pm me.. You should try to set aside at least $4500 (if you getting a mechanic to install it)

DooshDoosh
07-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Does a B16A converted civic EG vti have to be engineered?

I was thinking maybe because the engine is still a 1.6, you might be able to get away without the papers :?

any ideas?

mo
07-12-2003, 11:12 PM
yea probably...don't see how a engine conversion can escape from getting a engineer's certificate

A'PEXi
08-12-2003, 12:14 AM
it will prob. have to be engineered, would be less work converting it from a vti as compared to a breeze tho.

Per10d
08-12-2003, 12:08 PM
thanks for te info guys.. jsut starting to save my money now. :)
dcii_SIR i'll pm you most likey when i get closer to getting it for more info..

cheers everyone!

ts0nda
08-12-2003, 03:29 PM
i rang just car iinsurance and they told me that as long as the civic has come out with that engine (SIR) then you dont need an engineering certificate. Just a road worthy check.

Although i havent done this myself i plan to thats all just letting you know what i got told ;)

dcii_sir
08-12-2003, 06:38 PM
I think legally, if you are gonna upgrade your engine to a faster one, you will need to get some sort of cert but most ppl dont care. But I know of many EG civics with b16as that did not require any eng certs.. All you do is rock up to you local vicroads and let them know you have changed engines. Just say that your engine blew up and u fitted a new one on. Make sure you have the receipt where u bought the engine. That way they know its not stolen.. Hope this helps