PDA

View Full Version : Speaker advice

CroC
16-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey all

Just new to the forums and new to the whole Honda juggernaut.

Bought myself an 05 Odyssey Luxury. Done under 35000k's. ;)
Bargain.

Noob question coming up.

Just wanted to know what the original speaker output wattages are and are they any good compared to what I have. They sound pretty loud enough to me.
Got a boxed set of JBL GTO607c that's been sitting around for ages. 210W 6 1/2" mains with a pair of tweeters.

Also, I think I asked this question in the intro section, but since I'm in here, does anyone know where I can get my hands on the owner's manual? Download? Can't seem to locate it anywhere.

Cheers & see ya all 'round.

AusAccord
16-08-2010, 07:41 PM
welcome to this family men section..... i changed the OEM speakers after 6 months of ownerships and unable to locate them again to tell the output. it will help a bit if changed to yr JBL but not expecting much with OEM unit. u after owners manual from Honda Australia or manual for dismantling yr RB1? just shout here which installation manual you are after then someone will able to assist if they have any. happy modding!!

CroC
17-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Hey there...thanks for the welcome...yes, family men section. =D

Yeah, I'm after the Aus 05 Ody manual (I guess?). Looking to pimp it out...or as far as my wife will tolerate.

yeah, I figured unless I change the head unit, I ain't gonna get much more out of it...I do have one that came with my JBL's. A Kenwood something or rather. I just don't know if it's worth the trouble to rip out the 3 disk CD changer down below for this single head unit...kind of going backwards...so it may look like the speakers might have to stay for now until someone can suggest a better option of getting more grunt from the stereo unit.

AusAccord
17-08-2010, 01:28 PM
i misunderstand thought u are referring to the log book..... believe there is no such thing of owners manual for our RB1.
you can use high power hooking up an amp for the JBLs which will be good as well.

CroC
17-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Ahhh....I see...really? I've got the service manual. No handbook? So how does anyone know where everything is then? Anyone got one lying about that they don't want?

So as long as I go get a half decent amp (any recommendations on how many watts required without blowing the standard deck? How many channel amp? I have no idea...total noob to the audio scene) hooked up with my JBL's I'd get a decent sound boost?

Also, something interesting...I rang up Burswood Honda today and they told me that there ain't any more owner's handbooks for my '05. However they still have the '07 handbook...guess how much they want to charge me for it?

$80. :eek:

AusAccord
18-08-2010, 08:53 AM
i think some wreckers/junk yards will have the owners manual, try....
not an ICE guys so can't recommend any setup..... basically a 4 ch amp can supports 4 speakers so depends on how many speakers you want to wire up the amp.

CroC
19-08-2010, 09:51 PM
OK cheers bro. I'll give it a try.

Oh and I just discovered that my CD player ain't a stacker. :(

evolution
19-08-2010, 10:14 PM
If your car is a lux model, the cd should be a stacker.

snug_gles
20-08-2010, 05:50 PM
If you want to get more grunt out of the standard head unit, then just depends how far you want to go. Get yourself a decent amplifier with signal level inputs and then splice into the OEM head unit speaker wires and connect to the amp's inputs. Then run amplified speaker wires to the individual speakers and test and tune your amplifier accordingly. If the speakers can't handle it, then look to swap out the speakers. I've not cracked my Oddy open yet for audio... yet. Then again, I listen to the news rather than to music nowadays anyway. :( So sad....

CroC
20-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Meh?

How's that? You see, if I had the owner's manual (which I'm still looking for), I'd know that. LOL. ;)

So when I press the CD/AUX button, this is what happens. It goes to a "CD-C DISC" flashing message...what does that mean? How do I put the next CD in? I tried and it wouldn't go in. What size is the stacker?
I'm a total Honda, let alone Ody noob. I would be eternally grateful for any advice. :thumbsup:

If you want to get more grunt out of the standard head unit, then just depends how far you want to go. Get yourself a decent amplifier with signal level inputs and then splice into the OEM head unit speaker wires and connect to the amp's inputs. Then run amplified speaker wires to the individual speakers and test and tune your amplifier accordingly. If the speakers can't handle it, then look to swap out the speakers. I've not cracked my Oddy open yet for audio... yet. Then again, I listen to the news rather than to music nowadays anyway. :( So sad....

I'm with you with the listening to the news part...I'm sad and old...News Radio is what I listen to a lot...:D :o:(:thumbdwn:
I asked around and got a $200 quote to install a silly amp. I'll have to ask a mate to help me do it for a beer.

Cheers.

EDIT: Wait...I just found the stacker...it's under the seat! BUWAHAHA...now that would've saved me a lot of time if somebody told me earlier it was there...probably my fault coz I gotten so used to my last car's (X5) stacker which was at the back :p;):p;)

quadrio
23-08-2010, 12:46 AM
how good is the standard amp under the passenger seat, im assuming its not that good??????????????

snug_gles
23-08-2010, 11:50 AM
News radio 585... hahaha... I was going to write that in my original posting, but thought that I'd get laughed off. :)

However, the fact that your CD stacker is under the seat doesn't match up with most other lux models that I've researched where it is at the bottom of the centre console.

Unless of course your head unit and CD stacker are aftermarket when you bought it and they've used a steering wheel adapater/controller to get it all working. In which case, if it is aftermarket, you'll have RCA's.... but the fact that the stacker is under one of the seats means that you'll probably have to install any amp under the other front seat or somewhere else.

CroC
23-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes...News radio...*hides my head in shame...*:o

Yeah, it's all Honda. Head unit, stock Honda, Stacker, has a little Honda emblem on it.
So the amp will have to go elsewhere...can't be under the driver's seat since the electrics for the motor are there right?

Funny thing, when I first got the car, I kept on trying to jam a second CD into the head unit thinking that it was the stacker...I was asking myself, "why isn't my CD going in...?" :p

evolution
23-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Mate, u mind posting pic of your dash? The OEM Honda stereo does not have any Honda markings on the exterior. The stacker is in the CD slot itself which is at the bottom of the center console. Yours sounds really wierd

AusAccord
23-08-2010, 08:44 PM
as Evo and others advised, should be a 6 disks CD stacker... can check on mine as its not a luxury model. the thing underneath pax seat is an amp as far as i know but again i have none on mine.......

aka_NSX
23-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm quite sure there is NO Amp under the seat for 05 RB1 Lux and stacker is under PAX seat

and on the face lift model has Amp under the seat and indash stacker

snug_gles
23-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Voila... aka_NSX for the win.

quadrio
24-08-2010, 12:18 AM
mine is 08 lux and i have one under the seat

snug_gles
24-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Awww... now that's just not right Quadrio... back to square one!

aka_NSX
24-08-2010, 08:46 AM
mine is 08 lux and i have one under the seat

huh, thats strange . . . . . so is there any Amp under your seat ?

quadrio
24-08-2010, 11:41 PM
mine definately is a amp, bought the car brand new from honda, and that is where i hooked my handsfree into

CroC
25-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Mate, u mind posting pic of your dash? The OEM Honda stereo does not have any Honda markings on the exterior. The stacker is in the CD slot itself which is at the bottom of the center console. Yours sounds really wierd

Here ya go...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/bytemyshinymetalass/Honda%20Odyssey/DSCN0221.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/bytemyshinymetalass/Honda%20Odyssey/DSCN0222.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/bytemyshinymetalass/Honda%20Odyssey/DSCN0223.jpg

So would the amp be under that flappy bit beneath the stacker? Can you see the velcro bit? I lifted it up the other day not knowing what was under that...I did see there was something there...I'll have another look at what it is.

mine definately is a amp, bought the car brand new from honda, and that is where i hooked my handsfree into

Hmmm...

evolution
25-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Ok.... I just learnt something new.

AusAccord
25-08-2010, 09:12 AM
may be just between pre-facelift and facelifted luxury model......

snug_gles
25-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Dang... it's like discovering the missing link... and I did notice (copped a feel) an amp under my passenger seat... just haven't looked at it yet due to limited space in garage due to crap piled up the walls.

snug_gles
25-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Just had two thoughts though Croc.... (1) So, you can't put a CD into the slot in the centre console? That's just wasted space. (2) At least you can swap out the under seat stacker for an MP3 version....

Anyone know if there's an OEM MP3 stacker that will fit the centre console one?

St33p
25-08-2010, 02:56 PM
that centre console looks like my 07 luxury.
What happen if you press the eject button on the centre CD? will it spit/take more than 1 CD?
What happen if you eject the loader from the CD changer under the seat? Will it indicate it's ejecting disc on the display?
Maybe you actually have 6 + 6 changer? :)

There's a tiny amp under the seat - could be under the changer on yours (that changer looks like it's been jammed in there)

evolution
25-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Just confirmed with 2 mates that use to drive the prefacelift Lux versions. The centre console CD slot is single disk, the 6 disk stacker is under the seat. So the prefacelift owners have 7 discs while facelift owners only have 6. No idea whether preface lift have got a factory amp.

CroC
25-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Just had two thoughts though Croc.... (1) So, you can't put a CD into the slot in the centre console? That's just wasted space. (2) At least you can swap out the under seat stacker for an MP3 version....

Anyone know if there's an OEM MP3 stacker that will fit the centre console one?

Oh let me reinterate...I couldn't put "another" CD into the centre console CD player when it already had one in there. I honestly thought it was one of those in-dash stackers...hence I was none the wiser. ;)

Hmmm...an MP3 stacker...they have such things? No problems ripping the stock Honda one out and plugging the new type in?

I'm a noob...need the info...cheers. :wave:

Just confirmed with 2 mates that use to drive the prefacelift Lux versions. The centre console CD slot is single disk, the 6 disk stacker is under the seat. So the prefacelift owners have 7 discs while facelift owners only have 6. No idea whether preface lift have got a factory amp.

Yep, my photo confirms that. 7 is better than 6...but that's just me. :p